Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

One thing I love doing is talking with people who say I'm off my rocker.  Love it.  

First, there have been issues with Rodgers/McCarthy for a very long time now.  Petersen has no such issues with his QB.  McVay had no such issues with his QB.

Second, the past thirty years in the NFL show you're more likely to win a Super Bowl with a head coach in his first five years than you are with a head coach tenured longer than five years.  Not reason enough to fire your coach, but considering Aaron's dissatisfaction with him, and considering we could get SIGNIFICANT COMPENSATION IN A TRADE, yeah, I thought it was worth suggesting.

Also, I never actually said the Packers should FIRE MCCARTHY, God this conversation is annoying and you're bothering me.  

I suggest Packers should trade - TRADE BEING THE KEY WORD - McCarthy, then you liken it to the Eagles FIRING their head coach.  Real sensical counter argument.  

You might feel like you're following, but you aren't even close, so I'm literally done with this conversation with you.  

So, other teams should keep their coaches after winning the Super Bowl. But just the Packers should get rid of theirs after winning a 2 time Super Bowl winner just off his 2nd?

Is that what you're now saying? Just want to make sure I'm on track.

If the Packers win a Super Bowl, I think the issues you speak of between coach and QB will be a non issue. It's amazing what winning cures.

And you saying, "I never actually said the Packers should FIRE MCCARTHY, God this conversation is annoying and you're bothering me" has no baring on this conversation since I never ever once said that you talked about firing. I only used the words "trade" and "get rid of". I never once said the word fire.

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, I'm strictly commenting on your exact words. I've literally said nothing that you have not said yourself.

You have been trying to make the argument that you get rid of your coach after winning a SB because it's exceedingly rare to win back to back. Your words, not mine.

55 minutes ago, Dsibly said:

I've literally said nothing that you have not said yourself.

Wrong.  Thought I outlined this.

I suggest we trade McCarthy.

You ask if Eagles should have fired Pederson.

Trading McCarthy is not the same thing as firing Pederson.

I also never said every team should trade their head coach after a Super Bowl.  Not once.  

I used the fact that it's tough to repeat as FURTHER reasoning behind the idea, not THE reasoning.  I used the five year likelihood history as FURTHER reasoning, not THE reasoning.  I used McCarthy's relationship as FURTHER reasoning.  Not THE reasoning.  

And yeah, you literally did use the word fire.  LI-TER-A-LLY.

Really want McCarthy to stick around. Wondering what he can do with a solid working relationship with Gute. All signs point to our new gm being pretty open with all his coaches and players. 

Side Note: My wife was spying on me from afar while I was watching Gutes latest interview, she said I had 'dreamy eyes'. I'm worried,  she may have discovered my official man crush.  Is there a hotline I call or...? 

44 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

See?  You literally said fire.  

That's about Peterson!!! Not McCarthy. You talked about trading MM, I never said anything about firing MM. Ughhh. You are completely missing your own point.

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wrong.  Thought I outlined this.

I suggest we trade McCarthy.

You ask if Eagles should have fired Pederson.

Trading McCarthy is not the same thing as firing Pederson.

I also never said every team should trade their head coach after a Super Bowl.  Not once.  

I used the fact that it's tough to repeat as FURTHER reasoning behind the idea, not THE reasoning.  I used the five year likelihood history as FURTHER reasoning, not THE reasoning.  I used McCarthy's relationship as FURTHER reasoning.  Not THE reasoning.  

And yeah, you literally did use the word fire.  LI-TER-A-LLY.

You are avoiding your own point.

Your point was to get rid of (in whatever way you want to call it) MM becasue winning back to back is so rare. Trade, whatever. You want to literally get rid of a SB winning coach. And what coach would take his place? It would have to be better than the guy who just won the SB, otherwise your downgrading. 

You also brought up Philly. Do you also think the Eagles should have traded Pederson this year?

Or should only the Packers be the team to trade away a coach fresh off a Super Bowl win from a team that most people say is not even that good. Which would be incredible coaching if they won the SB this year.

10 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Really want McCarthy to stick around. Wondering what he can do with a solid working relationship with Gute. All signs point to our new gm being pretty open with all his coaches and players. 

Side Note: My wife was spying on me from afar while I was watching Gutes latest interview, she said I had 'dreamy eyes'. I'm worried,  she may have discovered my official man crush.  Is there a hotline I call or...? 

This is hilarious. Hey, the Gute is a handsome man. Ha.

I highly doubt MM sticks around. Anything less than a SB I bet he's gone. Maybe the NFC title game depending on the situaiton.

That short extension said a lot and he won't be a lame duck coach next season.

21 minutes ago, Dsibly said:

That's about Peterson!!! Not McCarthy. You talked about trading MM, I never said anything about firing MM. Ughhh. You are completely missing your own point.

No TF I'm not.  My first post suggested Trading McCarthy.  The rest you are confusing with posts I used to defend my stance in Trading McCarthy.

I never said every team should trade their head coach.  You really aren't getting it, I'm not going over it again, you can find it if you look in my responses to you, I'm not responding to you on this matter again.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No TF I'm not.  My first post suggested Trading McCarthy.  The rest you are confusing with posts I used to defend my stance in Trading McCarthy.

I never said every team should trade their head coach.  You really aren't getting it, I'm not going over it again, you can find it if you look in my responses to you, I'm not responding to you on this matter again.

I bet you respond to him again

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

While I like the idea of trading him, here's the reality that I see.

GB got off to a slow start and that will keep them from the playoffs and ultimately lead to McCarthy being fired.

Let's think this one through here vegas...In the offseason the Packers added a new DC, new scheme, new defensive coaching staff and changed out a lot of personnel. On offense, they brought in a new OC, new position coaches, revised/revamped/updated the offense, released Nelson and added 3 new WRs as well as FA Jimmy Graham.

Gute understands what all of that change means and it always takes time to assimilate all of that and become an elite operation. Even the logistics over how plays are relayed, how game plans are produced has changed. We also have a new front office structure with Murphy/Ball/MM and Gute

In my view, firing a highly successful NFL coach over a slow start just doesn't make sense at any level - because a slow start was virtually guaranteed. Add in an injury to AR... and using the slow start as the fulcrum around which you fire the HC doesn't jibe with the reality of the NFL.

MM also took his squad to LA and went toe-to-toe with the top team in the NFC and actually beat another top NFC seed vs vikes - but the refs stole that game from the Packers... over a rule enforcement that has since been changed.

Plenty of fans don't like MM and / or want him gone. And that's fine. But the actions of the front office and the reality of the NFL do not support that assertion. The NFC north is far from decided and assuming the Packers will not make the playoffs based solely on the slow start....I'm not buying that one either.

Some fans ( not you) whine about wasting AR's prime years. Given the challenges of making all of the changes noted above, any new HC is going to have those same challenges and more !
And it'll take more than half a year to get everybody humming in a new offense, new coaches, new logistics etc- and that doesn't even take into account the very real chance that the new HC whiffs. Additionally, Gute will have to make changes in terms of which types players fit the new HCs plans, that takes even more time as they gut the old and acquire the new.

That's wasting AR's prime more than anything else. 

I'll play devil's advocate, Shane.

If Mac was in the long term plans...why not give him a longer contract?  

This is a team that is used to being in the playoffs.  They didn't go last year...and it isn't looking so good for this year.

Who are the Packer coaches that have missed the playoffs 2 straight years and not gotten fired?  (I ask because I'm too lazy to do the research.)

Every team in the league and every fan base in the league will say the officials cost them games.  The fact is this...Mac got off to another slow start.  The schedule is not kind to GB for the next 3-4 weeks.  I see 7 wins as a high mark for this team.

I'd say this too...about wasting Aaron.  If you stick with Mac, you know what you get, for better or worse.  I think we are seeing a team that plays without passion and energy.  To me, that tells me that his message is a little stale.  And...on that flip side, he has a disciplined team...for the most part.  

Moving on with a different coach isn't the death kneel that it used to be.  Pederson and McVay are showing that young head coaches can come in and be successful right away.

I think it could be argued that you are more likely to win a Super Bowl with a new coach than you are McCarthy...at this point in Macs career.

My view?  I really sit the fence on Mac.  I hate how flat the team is.  I hate that we don't really hit anyone.  I hate that run around sandlot offense.  But...one can't help but wonder what would have happened if the 2015 draft class wasn't such a bust.  Rodgers can function in the offense, the Pettine defense looks legit.  Team just isn't that talented right now.  And...there is hope for the future.  I put it at 50/50 whether Mac gets to coach it next year.

I think we're gonna trade him to the Browns and have three first round picks this upcoming draft regardless of what happens this offseason.  Think there's already a wink/nod agreement between Gute and Dorsey.  When we win the Super Bowl, it will just turn into this year and next year's first from Cleveland.  Dynasty coming up.

Archived