Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

seems like you agree then

My point was never about agreement or disagreement it was to slinky calling out MM as sackless for calling a run play on first. That was the start. If you’ve watched enough football late in the game tied deep in your own half most coaches call play one conservatively and go from there. So MM wasn’t as Slinky suggested he was playing the odds as any smart coach would do. As another poamster pointed it out drive worked MM AR and CO drive win and some folks are still bait happy. If slinky and SGG want to hate on MM do it for the crappy red zone calls and lack of running in the first half and 3rd. 

I think it's time for Mac to go. I was listening to WIP in Philly this morning and they were talking about blowing timeouts for whatever reason and apparently Mac has blown the most this year according to PFF. Immediately, one of the commentators asked how Mac is still the coach.

My issue with him, however, is where the offense is. We signed Mercedes Lewis as a stud blocking TE who can get open when necessary; haven't seen much of him. Graham gets a 54 yard pass the other night and then did what after? I don't think we're creative enough with our talent. I think we have the talent, it's the play-calling that's problematic.

19 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I see some things I agree with here, and I also see others points.  What I’m most curious about, is this:  if Mac was good enough to get us to the promised land once - and win - what’s changed in that time that leads folks to think he can’t do it again?  If it’s because he had more talent to work with in 2010, well, then that’s not on Mac.  So taking the talent issue of the plate, what is it then?  Has the game really passed him by in just 8 years?

I think what's happened is that the team has taken on the coaches attitude totally.  Early on it was gradual and the team overcame the shortcomings.  Got on a roll and won a Super Bowl.  Now?  We play passively.  We play under control at all times.  We play without emotion.  Things have gotten stale.  Even Lambeau Field is not energized like it was just a few years ago.  You can see it, you can feel it.  There aren't statistics to show my take on this, just a gut feeling.  He hasn't lost the team, but the team doesn't play hungry anymore.  We don't scratch and claw every play.  We don't defend every inch of ground.  Our safeties don't hit anyone and no one is afraid of playing us.  I get a feeling that we haven't been this 'soft' for almost twenty years.  It's hard to watch.

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think it's time for Mac to go. I was listening to WIP in Philly this morning and they were talking about blowing timeouts for whatever reason and apparently Mac has blown the most this year according to PFF. Immediately, one of the commentators asked how Mac is still the coach.

My issue with him, however, is where the offense is. We signed Mercedes Lewis as a stud blocking TE who can get open when necessary; haven't seen much of him. Graham gets a 54 yard pass the other night and then did what after? I don't think we're creative enough with our talent. I think we have the talent, it's the play-calling that's problematic.

Lewis is literally an extra tackle at this point. There's nothing offered in the passing game past 5 yards at this point.

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm going to get crucified for this, but if that's those the play clock is at zero TOs we do all the time, how is not a lot of that on Aaron? 

Mac has issues there too. Don't get me wrong.. But this idea it's all him is silly too

17 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I think what's happened is that the team has taken on the coaches attitude totally.  Early on it was gradual and the team overcame the shortcomings.  Got on a roll and won a Super Bowl.  Now?  We play passively.  We play under control at all times.  We play without emotion.  Things have gotten stale.  Even Lambeau Field is not energized like it was just a few years ago.  You can see it, you can feel it.  There aren't statistics to show my take on this, just a gut feeling.  He hasn't lost the team, but the team doesn't play hungry anymore.  We don't scratch and claw every play.  We don't defend every inch of ground.  Our safeties don't hit anyone and no one is afraid of playing us.  I get a feeling that we haven't been this 'soft' for almost twenty years.  It's hard to watch.

Good take, Dubz.  Coaches, bosses, CEO's and the like do tend to set a tone for an organization.  I certainly agree that for some time, this team seems to have lost the ability to grab a game by the balls and walk it backwards out of the building.  There's certainly respect shown by other teams for what Rodgers can pull off, but that's about where the respect begins and ends, and even then I sense that teams aren't as afraid of this team.  Certainly not afraid of getting hit hard in the mouth.

For so long, the NFC was much like the Big Ten - big and bruising, smashmouth football.  Green Bay certainly doesn't emit this kind of vibe at the moment.  There was a time not too long ago when everyone feared this offense (lead by Rodgers), but a lot of teams have that pretty well dialed in now also.  I definitely am curious to see what a new coaching regime could bring, but I'm also cognizant that it could be a disastrous transition also.

I came across this from Fennell yesterday, posted it in a different thread and moved it over here when noting Lewis's contribution being mentioned. I found it interesting that we were in fact (at least) trying to include Lewis in the passing game as he's been something of a non-factor. Dont know his stats - but dont think they amount to much. In truth, I dont care which of our TEs we're tossing the ball to so long as we're connecting. Its been nice to see Graham's recent successes as well as Kendricks picking up some key first downs for us. I think we've got the players to get the job done - we just need to get about getting that job done better IMO.

If we lose the next two games by more than 14 points in both instances, does that spell the end for McCarthy?  Getting blown out by the old gold standard, and the new gold standard, back to back, following a bye really shows that the league has passed you by.

7 hours ago, RedRaider said:

If we lose the next two games by more than 14 points in both instances, does that spell the end for McCarthy?  Getting blown out by the old gold standard, and the new gold standard, back to back, following a bye really shows that the league has passed you by.

Wrong thread.

The correct post is: "If we win these next two games, does that spell an immediate extension for McCarthy?"

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Wrong thread.

The correct post is: "If we win these next two games, does that spell an immediate extension for McCarthy?"

Sorry,sorry...If we win these next two games, does that spell and immediate extension for McCarthy?  Quite frankly I think he'd be happy with a year-long pass to the Pizza Ranch.  

Archived