Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

It's time to cut the cord.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/11/6/18068330/mike-mccarthy-hot-seat-packers-head-coach-aaron-rodgers-offensive-scheme

There may not be time for Mike McCarthy to save his job. Back in 2016, the last time the Green Bay Packers looked this listless and impotent on offense with Aaron Rodgers, the two-time MVP channeled the Old Gods and the New, summoned the dragon, and nearly destroyed every team in their path.

In retrospect, Rodgers was merely forestalling the inevitable.

Since Run the Table™, the Packers are just 10-13-1, with six of those 10 wins coming via fourth-quarter comeback. They’ve been a middling offense (18th in yards per play and points scored in that span) with a gag-inducing -76 point differential (h/t to Zach Kruse for those stats).

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What a lame response. The Packers gave Rodgers a record breaking deal to compete for SBs, we should be. Obviously my expectations match that of our management. I sure as hell hope Gute isn't as laissez faire as you. If I want to relax and enjoy something I'll watch a movie or Outpost trying to convince me Julio Jones isn't good.

Dont get me wrong, I want to be competitive(WHICH WE HAVE EVERY SINGLE GAME) but you dont fire your head coach halfway though the season when you're two games out. 

On 11/6/2018 at 5:38 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Idiot-Fan feedback on Defilippo, a name frequently kicked around as McCarthy's replacement:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/14004-thoughts-on-defilippo-so-far/

Admittedly, they are Viking fans douchebags so there's really no need to ever post them or read them. Ever.

Kind sir: Please don't ever bring those lobotomy survivors in here again. We have more than enough super ****ty takes in here already without having to import them from a wastewater treatment plant.

I just don't like the idea of hiring an offensive coordinator who has success with a slightly above average QB and two of the best receivers in the NFL. 

People gotta remember that Pat Shurmur led Case Keenum and those receivers to the 10th scoring offense last year.  Shurmur took over for the Giants and the Giants suck with Beckham Jr, Barkley and a lot of offensive talent (as well as two pretty darn good OL). 

Defilipo has upgraded at QB, upgraded at OL, got Cook back, kept Rudolph, Diggs and Thielen and the Vikings offense dropped three spots in offensive scoring. 

If McCarthy and Rodgers had Diggs and Thielen, literally nobody would be wanting McCarthy fired. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

People gotta remember that Pat Shurmur led Case Keenum and those receivers to the 10th scoring offense last year.  Shurmur took over for the Giants and the Giants suck with Beckham Jr, Barkley and a lot of offensive talent (as well as two pretty darn good OL). 

You forget to mention he has Eli at quarterback. You think Aaron is missing a lot of open WR's? Watch a Giants game and you will see Beckham, Shepard, and Engram all getting separation. But all Eli does is dump the ball off to Barkley. Which is fine with me because he is on my fantasy team.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:41 AM, Howler said:

It's time to cut the cord.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/11/6/18068330/mike-mccarthy-hot-seat-packers-head-coach-aaron-rodgers-offensive-scheme

There may not be time for Mike McCarthy to save his job. Back in 2016, the last time the Green Bay Packers looked this listless and impotent on offense with Aaron Rodgers, the two-time MVP channeled the Old Gods and the New, summoned the dragon, and nearly destroyed every team in their path.

In retrospect, Rodgers was merely forestalling the inevitable.

Since Run the Table™, the Packers are just 10-13-1, with six of those 10 wins coming via fourth-quarter comeback. They’ve been a middling offense (18th in yards per play and points scored in that span) with a gag-inducing -76 point differential (h/t to Zach Kruse for those stats).

I remember when we used to get up big in games, we were more often than not putting up big points quickly and most teams couldn't cope with it (obviously some did and we collapsed defensively especially in the playoffs when we averaged like 36 points given up in our playoff exits).

Now our offense is pedastrian, we get in a hole and have to come back. It's an anaemic offense that has to fight and battle for every single bloody yard.

Not having Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver and Finley might have a little something to do with that, but apparently the constant leak of talent from the roster has no bearing on expectations. Watch a couple games from last year to remind yourself.

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

I remember when we used to get up big in games, we were more often than not putting up big points quickly and most teams couldn't cope with it (obviously some did and we collapsed defensively especially in the playoffs when we averaged like 36 points given up in our playoff exits).

Now our offense is pedastrian, we get in a hole and have to come back. It's an anaemic offense that has to fight and battle for every single bloody yard.

McCarthy should be judged on his offense and in many ways it's just not an efficient unit.  Also, he should be judged on the QB's he prepares to play the game .. Rodgers is not performing at a top level of late, Kiser wasn't close to being ready to play when he had to enter a game this year, and finally .. the Brett Hundley experience was a washout.  Several years were spent on that guy and when he finally gets his chance to show what he's got it was a mess more than not.  That was a blow to the McCarthy QB mystique.  Has Rodgers lost some skill, or is he just stuck in a mediocre offense with mediocre schemes and play calling?  If he is in decline the game plans should be tailored around what he does best.  It's McCarthy's job to manage the guy and put him in the best position to win. 

If you want to judge him on the coaches below him he hasn't done well there of late either.  He kept Capers for several years too long.  He's fired a couple OC's the past few years .. offense still struggles mightily at time.  I'm not sure you fire the guy without having some serious options in place to succeed him, but if an opportunity arises to add the right guy I'd make the move.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Kind sir: Please don't ever bring those lobotomy survivors in here again. We have more than enough super ****ty takes in here already without having to import them from a wastewater treatment plant.

Your description is still too kind imo

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Not having Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver and Finley might have a little something to do with that, but apparently the constant leak of talent from the roster has no bearing on expectations. Watch a couple games from last year to remind yourself.

Good coaches adapt to their personnel or lack thereof. 

52 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's also widely known you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t

There's plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball being lead by a HOF QB where they should be far more potent than they are now.

If you are saying that the offense right now has chicken sh*t talent, I think you're dead wrong.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, Kenrik said:

Dont get me wrong, I want to be competitive(WHICH WE HAVE EVERY SINGLE GAME) but you dont fire your head coach halfway though the season when you're two games out. 

Completely agree. I think Mac is a good coach and clearly had a hell of a career in GB, but it's also time for a new voice. The offense is just not responding to him anymore. And like you said, you do not do it now, you wait til the season is over. The Packers have shown the ability to climb out of these holes before. This year does feel different, not sure they can. But you at least allow Mac to try and pull it off again. Then you cut ties on black Monday after the last game and go from there.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, Kenrik said:

agreed.

lets wait for the end of the year to fire him

Archived