Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

With the way this season is unfolding it will be a good test to see whether Mac can get this team back on track.  The tough schedule coming up after the bye could derail the season, or could be exactly what the team needs to get re-focused.  Wouldn't be the first time GB got things turned around under Mac when I thought he was losing the team.  Since about 2013, it seems like GB fans are having this same conversation every October.

All that being said, in a world where Mac is cut loose, I can't pretend I'd be overly upset about it.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I think McCarthy would be let go if GB misses the playoffs this year with Rodgers starting all 16 games, but IDK what Murphy does if they barely get in and then promptly get bounced in the WC game. The facts are that this team hasn't made it to the SB since 2010, and at some point you gotta change things up with Rodgers getting closer and closer to the end of his career.

Plenty of season left to figure things out though

3 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I think McCarthy would be let go if GB misses the playoffs this year with Rodgers starting all 16 games, but IDK what Murphy does if they barely get in and then promptly get bounced in the WC game. The facts are that this team hasn't made it to the SB since 2010, and at some point you gotta change things up with Rodgers getting closer and closer to the end of his career.

Plenty of season left to figure things out though

If theres no one else you think gives you a better chance in 2019, there's no reason to move on regardless.

Not a fan of reactionary moves. In a billion dollars organization, moves should be calculated. Significantly so.

So if GB finishes 8-7-1, which is highly possible, and miss the playoffs with Rodgers starting all 16 games, what does the organization do, considering the call for Macs head will be quite loud?  For me, it will depend on a lot of things that transpired between now and then, regardless of the final record: how the team performs overall, the temperature between Mac and Rodgers, injuries to key personnel, etc.  I guess I just can’t make any conclusive decisions about Macs future without the rest of the season as important context.

One of the highest penalized teams in the NFL, worst in the NFL on 3rd down distance to go, have at least a quarter in 5 of 6 games where we've been blown out, little to no progression from the 2015, 2016 or 2017 draft classes. 

Mac hasn't earned anything, and I'm a Mac supporter. These next 5 games tell me if I'm keeping Mac or not.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One of the highest penalized teams in the NFL, worst in the NFL on 3rd down distance to go, have at least a quarter in 5 of 6 games where we've been blown out, little to no progression from the 2015, 2016 or 2017 draft classes. 

Mac hasn't earned anything, and I'm a Mac supporter. These next 5 games tell me if I'm keeping Mac or not.

Agree with this a lot with the caveat I haven't checked 3rd and distance numbers but it certainly feels like we suck

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Facts are depressing.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well....aren't you a Debbie downer

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I think the best indicator is to see how Rodgers talks about MM recently and going forward.

I haven't really paid attention, but that would be the best evidence one way or another.

Agreed, and I hope that doesn’t happen because it’s not very professional, nor is it conduct becoming of a star player in this league.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Agreed, and I hope that doesn’t happen because it’s not very professional, nor is it conduct becoming of a star player in this league.

I'm saying reading between the lines. Not expecting him to say "Fire Mac!" or anything ?

Rodgers wears himself on his sleeve a bit, so I suspect a close observer (like @deltarich87) would be able to pick up on things of importance.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I'm saying reading between the lines. Not expecting him to say "Fire Mac!" or anything ?

Rodgers wears himself on his sleeve a bit, so I suspect a close observer (like @deltarich87) would be able to pick up on things of importance.

Right.  Rodgers sometimes takes subtle jabs that might fly below the radar of most folks.  If his rhetoric moving forward gets less subtle, then we know there’s a problem.  I’m saying I hope that doesn’t happen for Rodgers sake, and for the team’s quite frankly.

Archived