Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

I hate this notion that since McCarthy can't change Rodgers he needs to be fired.  If McCarthy can't change him, nobody can.  No new head coach is changing Rodgers.  Period.  The only thing you're getting with a new head coach is somebody who does more of what Rodgers wants.  

On 11/12/2018 at 5:17 PM, Shanedorf said:

I had some thoughts along the same lines and posted them earlier - what I said is that Gute and MM should probably have let Aaron have some say in the QB coach he wanted to work with going forward. Rodgers enjoyed having former QBs in Clements and Van Pelt to work with, that mattered to him a lot
The job of the HC is a hundred times bigger than calling the plays or scheming the offense. You wanna tweak the offense, give AR some fresh meat ? Sounds like a winner. Give him a QB coach of his choosing or even the Passing Game Coordinator ( Hostler).

But changing out the Head Coach is a a much much bigger undertaking and it gives way too much power to the QB who only knows about his little slice of the 53 man squad. . The HC is responsible for all 3 facets of the team and a thousand more decisions every week.  I don't think you let any QB make that decision no matter how good he is on Sundays. Just give AR a voice and give him some more juice by having a like-minded coach singing the same song during game planning sessions.

Then he should've been fired a while ago. Because his defenses have suckkkkked. Special teams too. Decision making in-game; he can't be graded better than a C. We've pretty much ruled out firing him in the past to protect Aaron's productivity, under the assumption he was delegating the defense to someone else who could iron that side of the ball out.

Slocum took the fall for the ST. It hasn't been catastrophic since. Hasn't been a strength since either.

Capers has taken the fall for the Defense. It cost us a Championship somewhere along the line. 

Everyone OTHER than McCarthy has fallen on the sword. Aaron knows whether or not the style of Offense can produce. If he says yes, you trust that a lot more than anyones opinion, because they are either McCarthy's staff or someone who doesn't fully understand whats going on. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate this notion that since McCarthy can't change Rodgers he needs to be fired.  If McCarthy can't change him, nobody can.  No new head coach is changing Rodgers.  Period.  The only thing you're getting with a new head coach is somebody who does more of what Rodgers wants.  

IMO, it may not be that Mac can’t “change” Rodgers, it may be that he hasn’t figured out exactly how to work with him.  Two stubborn people can find just enough common ground to tolerate one another, but this type of relationship might not be optimal to maximizing full potential.  It might very well be that Mac needs to work with a QB that’s more open to working within his scheme, and Rodgers may well need a HC that understand his diva ways and knows when and how to insert himself and his scheme into the mix.  Chemistry between coach and QB is important in most cases, sans Belichick and Brady.  Who knows how they make it work.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Just like no one was changing Favre.

56 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Everyone OTHER than McCarthy has fallen on the sword. Aaron knows whether or not the style of Offense can produce. If he says yes, you trust that a lot more than anyones opinion, because they are either McCarthy's staff or someone who doesn't fully understand whats going on. 

Why do you suppose that is ?
The Packers just engaged a world - class executive search firm in finding and hiring a new GM as well as restructuring the Org Chart

Murphy could have dumped MM at the same time as TT - that would have changed up the search process completely.  And you can be certain it was discussed in great detail at the highest levels of the Org. Clean house....start fresh

But the President and the Ex. Committee opted to keep the head coach, let him hire new staff, and replace the GM with an MM-friendly Personnel guy. All of that strongly suggests that MM isn't the problem in the eyes of the Senior Management or the outside consultants they hired. They may certainly be wrong, but they're also a public corporation subject to all kinds of rules and procedures for making these hires/fires and decisions.
Its usually the single owners that act impetuously 

I don't want to cede control of the entire football operation to AR. I love the guy, but this is way outside of his purview. If the Packers need a newer/better/shinier offense, then get a new offensive mind in there or task the current staff with working with AR on various tweaks and innovations. Get him a QB coach he likes

If you want to fire MM, that's fine. But you are setting the Org back 3-4 years, same as every other team that has changed HCs. We all want the same goal, but some are proposing a 1000 pound solution to a 10 pound problem. I think there are less drastic and less risky ways to get there -

And what I really believe is that this team needs more talent - hence the new GM and the new way of doing business in terms of vet player acquisition.
THOSE are the issues that the Senior Management decided were most pressing and required the greatest change. And that's what they did.

Like I said - they could all be full of crapola.
But they certainly ran a thorough process and their actions offer us a hint into what they learned over the last 10-12 months

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers just engaged a world - class executive search firm in finding and hiring a new GM as well as restructuring the Org Chart

Murphy could have dumped MM at the same time as TT - that would have changed up the search process completely.  And you can be certain it was discussed in great detail at the highest levels of the Org. Clean house....start fresh

But the President and the Ex. Committee opted to keep the head coach, let him hire new staff, and replace the GM with an MM-friendly Personnel guy. All of that strongly suggests that MM isn't the problem in the eyes of the Senior Management or the outside consultants they hired. They may certainly be wrong, but they're also a public corporation subject to all kinds of rules and procedures for making these hires/fires and decisions.

I don't want to cede control of the entire football operation to AR. I love the guy, but this is way outside of his purview. If the Packers need a newer/better/shinier offense, then get a new offensive mind in there or task the current staff with working with AR on various tweaks and innovations. Get him a QB coach he likes

If you want to fire MM, that's fine. But you are setting the Org back 3-4 years, same as every other team that has changed HCs. We all want the same goal, but some are proposing a 1000 pound solution to a 10 pound problem. I think there are less drastic and less risky ways to get there -

And what I really believe is that this team needs more talent - hence the new GM and the new way of doing business in terms of vet player acquisition.
THOSE are the issues that the Senior Management decided were most pressing and required the greatest change. And that's what they did.

But they certainly ran a thorough process and their actions offer us a hint into what they learned over the last 10-12 months

Yes, they kept MM but Mike's contract only goes thru 2019.  If the team continues to struggle they might not give him an extention.  It almost looks like they are waiting to see how he works with Gute first.

I don't know if a change would set the team back 3-4 years.  Often when a team changes the HC the team isn't all that great to begin with and/or has no QB.  We have an elite QB with decent core of talent that a new regime could work with and be successful.  I just hope any change made at the HC position doesn't mean Pettine is gone too.  I like what I'm seeing so far on that side of the ball.  The defense seems to be reinvigorated with him so perhaps a new offensive HC would do the same with AR and that side of the ball.

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think Murphy is a believer in McCarthy, but the fact that the Packers only gave him a one year extension means that he's not completely sure.  They tacked on one year to keep him out of lame duck status, but didn't reward him with a huge new multi-year deal.  He's being evaluated hard this season .. that's my guess.

I do not think firing Mac automatically sets the organization back ... not if they tab the right guy to succeed him.  A guy like DeFilippo might be a good fit .. smart offensive mind, and a guy who has worked with Pettine before.  Look at the Bears for example .. they replaced their coach with a sharp young offensive mind and were able to retain Fangio and their defensive coaches.  They are 6-3 .. no setback at all .. nothing but a positive leap ahead for that organization.  We need to figure something out before we fall behind teams like the Bears.  This status quo stuff is not cutting it.

Archived