Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate this notion that since McCarthy can't change Rodgers he needs to be fired.  If McCarthy can't change him, nobody can.  No new head coach is changing Rodgers.  Period.  The only thing you're getting with a new head coach is somebody who does more of what Rodgers wants.  

I don't remember where the article was, but I remember it saying that you needed to mentally challenge Rodgers.  I think it was from one of his former coaches.  At a certain point, you can't have that same voice saying the same things over and over again.  If you repeated the 9th grade multiple times, eventually you're going to start ignoring the teacher.  Why wouldn't this be the case with the HC?  We've seen that they have their disagreements, and I think they're on a mutual respect level but at a certain point it's time to start consider changing things up.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Edited:   At a certain point, you can't have that same voice saying the same things over and over again.  If you repeated the 9th grade multiple times, eventually you're going to start ignoring the teacher.  Why wouldn't this be the case with the HC?

I think MM needs to binge watch a few seasons of The Sopranos back to back - and start mixing some swear words into his instructions to AR. That's sure to be a change of pace and get his attention :)

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I definitely do not buy that Aaron Rodgers is a tyrant and uncoachable angle.  Dude craves knowledge and would thrive being challenged to learn new concepts.

He has such a big ego and he's desperate to vindicate his standing with wins. You can see this from Rodgers. If he was such a tyrant, he wouldn't be playing hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Howler said:

He has such a big ego and he's desperate to vindicate his standing with wins. You can see this from Rodgers. If he was such a tyrant, he wouldn't be playing hurt. 

I think this could bee seen both ways..........he's probably a bit of both.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't remember where the article was, but I remember it saying that you needed to mentally challenge Rodgers.  I think it was from one of his former coaches.  At a certain point, you can't have that same voice saying the same things over and over again.  If you repeated the 9th grade multiple times, eventually you're going to start ignoring the teacher.  Why wouldn't this be the case with the HC?  We've seen that they have their disagreements, and I think they're on a mutual respect level but at a certain point it's time to start consider changing things up.

Oooh I like this one.  This sounds plausible

59 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I definitely do not buy that Aaron Rodgers is a tyrant and uncoachable angle.  Dude craves knowledge and would thrive being challenged to learn new concepts.

I could buy some of AR being tough to coach these days. He has allot of Brett in him even though he would say he doesn’t. At times he come across as bigger then the team. I’m not saying that this is for sure but at times yep he may be bigger than his shadow. 

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't remember where the article was, but I remember it saying that you needed to mentally challenge Rodgers.

You absolutely need to mentally challenge all of the Silverback QBs. Fav-ray was the same way, he wanted/needed a new challenge.
In today's NFL that often comes from somebody outside the organization. Many of these guys have their own coaches ala Brady and Alex Guerrero. Rodgers has his own coaches too, both from an athletic and from a spiritual / life coach point of view. He has a team in place and he's also extremely self-motivated to keep getting better.

AR also talked about it when he was mentoring Hundley - AR would set out a list of things he wanted to challenge himself on each new season and he'd do that during practice.
Throwing better moving to his left; short, quick movements within the pocket,  improving footwork, even left-handed throws in dire situations. Cadence changes.

These guys self- scout themselves and as highly paid professionals at the peak of their sport - they always seek improvement. ( the Great ones do) These top guys have access to anything and everything they want - and very little of it comes from the HC, nor should it

I totally understand the desire to change out MM - but I'm continually astounded at the really crappy reasons some of you are suggesting as evidence to do it. The Packers have a new OC ( Philbin) a new passing game coordinator ( Hostler)  and a new QB coach ( Cignetti) - why aren't they tasked with challenging AR ? 

Yesterday, ChaRisma - who I respect immensely - suggested the Packers should ask AR if he likes MM and MM's offense. 
I'm quite certain they thought of that BEFORE they wrote AR the biggest check in the history of the league.  IF there was any un-fixable problem between the two - they'd have made the change right then and there before signing the new mega-deal.

New GM, new Coach, fully- signed QB .... full speed ahead.

Coaches/players have rifts all the time, same as in every industry. And the media happily pours gas on it. But firing should probably be the last resort, while addressing and fixing the issues is what smart and successful organizations do. The longest tenured coaches are generally the ones that win SB's.  I read an interesting article talking about how Zimmer totally schooled McVay last season. This is how the NFL works, and then over time the young guys learn the ropes of being the HC and they try to take their team over the top.

It always takes time to become a good NFL HC and the guys like DeFillipo and McVay will eff up along the way as they learn the same lessons that every HC has had to learn. Even Pettine talked about it in his presser when asked if he desired to return to the HC role - he said "no thanks".
Its a completely different job than being a position coach or even coordinating an offense. If the Packers hired any of your preferred hot shots, I guarantee you it will be 3+ years before the Packers make an SB appearance. And that's fine, but its "wasting" AR's prime as so many of you are bellowing about daily.

AR has plenty of challenges in front of him right now:  he's never played the game at an elite level with 2 plates and 13 screws in his collar bone. Perhaps he could use some more help - but I see wide open WRs, I see Davante free on well-designed 3rd and 2 ... and AR taking an unnecessary sack. 

Unfortunately, changing the HC doesn't fix any of those issues.
But what MM has done is fall on the sword for the poor performance of his Star QB, because that's what leaders of men do.
Rodgers snipes at him, he just keeps moving the team forward.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is MM coaching for his job tonight?

I don't think so.  But, this is a big game.  Win tonight, beat Minny and things are looking very different than how they are now.

Lose tonight?  Ungh.  Then it is a must win next week.

With it being a short week I don't think MM's job depends on the outcome of this week's game. I think his fate is ultimately tied to the Offense and how well they finish out the season. Rodgers and him need to get on the same page.

I am getting a good feeling about this game though. Pettine knows the Seahawks well. I expect the defense to come out  prepared mentally but the short week will make it next to impossible for them all to be ready physically.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is MM coaching for his job tonight?

It could very well fall out that way.  Part of MMs problem is that he seems to get out coached in Prime Time frequently.  Maybe not out coached, but some of his biggest flops are Nationally televised.  IF he is 'freed to leave' after this year you may very well point back at this game.  He's not expected to win in Minnesota, but tonight?  Very winnable game.

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

It could very well fall out that way.  Part of MMs problem is that he seems to get out coached in Prime Time frequently.  Maybe not out coached, but some of his biggest flops are Nationally televised.  IF he is 'freed to leave' after this year you may very well point back at this game.  He's not expected to win in Minnesota, but tonight?  Very winnable game.

I think the Packers can win at Minny for sure.

Archived