Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This is just a misconception that's worth discussing.  Given the number of Game Winning attempts that the GB OFFENSE produces, any kicker would have a LOT of "BIG" "CLUTCH" "SUPERLATIVE ADJECTIVE" kicks.

He missed the game winning kick vs Minnesota this year.  It's hard to remember the misses, and we've been fortunate to avoid the devastating ones like with Blair Walsh.

It's hard to remember key missed kicks? Or is this just how we pretend there was a bunch you can't reference?

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This is just a misconception that's worth discussing.  Given the number of Game Winning attempts that the GB OFFENSE produces, any kicker would have a LOT of "BIG" "CLUTCH" "SUPERLATIVE ADJECTIVE" kicks.

He missed the game winning kick vs Minnesota this year.  It's hard to remember the misses, and we've been fortunate to avoid the devastating ones like with Blair Walsh.

I disagree. Sure the offense moves the ball. Its not some three yards and a cloud of dust machine. When we're clicking - the ball moves. Regardless - the kickers gotta convert those opportunities - which Crosby has more times than not. He wouldnt be our kicker if he'd constantly been failing us.

Sure. He missed the game winning kick against MN this year - after kicking the game winner just after they'd called TO. It happens.

The guy's good. Thats not me talking. Thats his record.

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's hard to remember key missed kicks? Or is this just how we pretend there was a bunch you can't reference?

2009@PIT, 2008@CHI, 2010@WAS (2 misses), 2012@IND, 2008@MIN, 2008 vs ATL, 2017@PIT, 2018@DET, 2018 vs MIN

These are not all game ending kicks, but some of them are.  They are all situations where he missed more kicks than the losing score differential.

Just now, Leader said:

The guy's good. Thats not me talking. Thats his record.

Except he's not "good"  he's "fine".  Anything else is just you talking.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

which Crosby has more times than not

yes, he is over 50% on kicks attempted in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Ok, but I view that as a bit artificial- there are 4 kickers with a higher per year average, and 5 that got more guaranteed money- 

Cap in any given year simply reflects how Ted decided to distribute the money to fit it in with the overall team picture.

you're 100% right. 

It would be much more forthright to say:

• He's in the 95th percentile of payment
  • approx. double the average salary for the position
  • the 6th decile of kicker performance.

27 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

2009@PIT, 2008@CHI, 2010@WAS (2 misses), 2012@IND, 2008@MIN, 2008 vs ATL, 2017@PIT, 2018@DET, 2018 vs MIN

These are not all game ending kicks, but some of them are.  They are all situations where he missed more kicks than the losing score differential.

Except he's not "good"  he's "fine".  Anything else is just you talking.

yes, he is over 50% on kicks attempted in the NFL.

I'm not going to argue the definition of fine versus good. Replace good with fine and use my original point. It's still true.

You can EASILY go fine from a multiple game on a row trainwreck. We endured one. Oh no. If they want to replace him soon, nobody will cry, until they do when that guy has a bad game. Such is fandom.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Crosby's not good he's fine? Thats a descriptive difference I'm not familiar with.

Good= makes your team better

fine= doesn't make your team worse or better

Greg Jennings was a good player.  Geronimo Allison is a fine player.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Good= makes your team better

fine= doesn't make your team worse or better

Greg Jennings was a good player.  Geronimo Allison is a fine player.

I even disagree with this last part lol. It almost makes the two sound like somewhat similar in terms of making a difference.

I'm going to guess here, you think all top 5 kickers are overpaid?

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm not going to argue the definition of fine versus good. Replace good with fine and use my original point. It's still true.

You can EASILY go fine from a multiple game on a row trainwreck. We endured one. Oh no. If they want to replace him soon, nobody will cry, until they do when that guy has a bad game. Such is fandom.

There was absolutely no reason to worry about crosby in the context of this season.  He had a stinker and so what.  Nobody sane expected him to fall apart completely.

Crosby was a potential area we could have improved on this past offseason, just like we did with punter, etc.

Crosby's contract is hardly a huge deal like you say, but when your QB is the restrictor plate on your cap situation, and you spend 9M in cap on Crosby and Tramon and things like that, the paper cut mistakes can start to add up.

Fans are weird:

GB made an excellent decision to cut Jordy Nelson because his play slipped and his huge cap # was prohibitive.  Many fans revolted because he was beloved.

GB made a decision to cut Jeremy Ross after a bunch of fumbles.  Fans celebrated because he wasn't beloved.

Crosby is beloved, and that Dallas game in the playoffs was really magical.  Wonder how it'll play out when his time comes.

Archived