Interesting things about your city/state/country?

RedRider

I'm very interested in history and geography so I've created this thread to delve in some of that. What's some interesting trivia/folklore/etc about your area? It could be your city or state, or your country for those of you non-'Murican's. No need to make a big post, any bit of info you can add would be fun to read.

I've lived in Nebraska for a couple years so I will do this state. Among other states, I've also lived in Wyoming for many years; if there's enough activity (read: any) in this thread, I might do a post on Wyoming and/or Laramie.

Trivia

1. Anybody like river rafting or tanking? Nebraska has the most mileage of river of any state. The Niobrara river is often listed as one of the best rivers for recreation activities in America.

2. The largest system of sand dunes in the Western Hemisphere are entirely in Nebraska.

3. Going to the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is like traveling around the world in a day. Ranked among the best zoos in the nation (alongside San Diego's), this zoo has the western hemisphere's largest enclosed rainforest, the world's largest domed desert, the world's largest enclosed swamp, and an aquarium where you can walk through an underwater tunnel where you have sharks, rays, and fish swim above you. This zoo feels like going around the world because almost every iconic biome around the world is recreated: there are recreated forests for each continent, an open African savannah area was opened last year, and an open Asian highlands area is being constructed.

4. For anyone who is an avid bird watcher, the largest migration and stopping point of cranes in the world is when the Sandhill Cranes stop at North Platte, Nebraska.

5. For anyone who likes trains, the largest train rail yard in the world is in Nebraska's North Platte.

6. A study found that football is the second most talked about subject in the state, behind only the weather. Another study found that the state is second in talk about college football, behind only Alabama.

7. Of the 25 least populated states in America, 9 are in Nebraska's sand hills.

8. Though some other states get a bigger Wild West rep, few can really match Nebraska's true western past. Buffalo Bill Cody did all of his rodeo work here. Calamity Jane lived here for a while, as did Crazy Horse and Standing Bear. Sidney, NE is known as one of the most iconic true western communities. (More on that later.)

Lore

(Note: somewhat graphic:) Speaking of the Wild West, a town in Nebraska, Sidney, became famous for its brutality of the early, wealthy train riders. These riders were told not to leave the train while it stopped here because the men in town frequently mugged and robbed those who did leave the train. In this same town, there was once a night of dancing in a saloon. Amidst the music, one person was killed. The corpse was placed in a corner and the dancing ensued. The festivities continued until another person was killed, but they threw his corpse in the corner too. The dancing didn't end until a third and final corpse was laid to rest in the corner.

Chadron, NE was home to the starting point to the nation's longest horse race. Set during the 1800's, the race was from here (the extreme western tip of the state) to Chicago - about 1,000 miles. Cowboys would ride horseback until someone reached the designated building and person in Chicago, winning prize money. This was held several times.

Early surveyors and scouts of the western frontier, including Lewis and Clark, labeled Nebraska (and presumably much of the sorrounding territory) as an unforgiving desert that they wished no man to ever come to. Today, we don't classify Nebraska as a desert, though most U.S. Citizens still wish to ever come. Guess they never got the "Not a Desert" memo, huh?

During 9/11, President George W. Bush sought cover in a Nebraskan Air Force base bunker.

The town dubbed "Missile Center USA" is Nebraska's Kimball. With a population of 2,500 and 150 WWII missiles, there are about 16 people per missile.

For Tennessee: 

East Tennessee was mostly pro-Union in the Civil War and I think the last state to secede after West TN swayed Middle TN. Interesting due to also being the birthplace of the KKK.

Chattanooga has the the largest freshwater aquarium in the world

Lab in Oak Ridge, TN had a huge hand in creating the first atomic bomb

I think it's the most bordered state

Third most spoken language is German

Great Smokey Mountains National Park is the most visited park in the country

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

For Tennessee: 

Great Smokey Mountains National Park is the most visited park in the country

I'd read this just the other day.

On a related note to that National Park and the Appalachians, I watched an episode of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos a couple weeks ago. Tyson recalled that scientists dismissed the theory of plate tectonics when it was first proposed. A female scientists was then supposedly able to prove the Appalachians and the Alps in Europe were once part of the same mountain range, lending the theory more credibility. Not sure if it's true, but it's made me read up on the Appalachians a lot.

@RedRider, what are the best places to live in Nebraska, and are people in Nebraska as dumb as people in Texas?  I'm not calling everybody in Texas dumb, but the city I moved to (Wichita Falls) from North Carolina makes people in North Carolina look like MENSA members, and people in North Carolina weren't too bright either. 

Cumberland, MD

• William H. Macy went to high school here. Same one I attended.
  • We have a scenic railroad...that's kinda cool?
  • Used to be the second largest city in Maryland at one point, and was known as the "Queen City"
  • Eddie Deezen was also born here
  • George Washington had an HQ set up here. See here

London is way too easy so I'll do the county where I spent my adolescence.

Derbyshire, UK

• JFKs sister Kathleen Kennedy is buried in Edensor
  • World famous explorer Ellen McArthur was born in Whatstandwell 
  • Pride and Prejudice was set in Derbyshire 
  • Britain's first water powered mill was built here
  • Richard Arkwright a very famous mill owner was from here
  • Florence Nightingale grew up here after being born in Italy
  • George Stephenson, the father of the steam locomotive, lived, died and is buried here
  • Rolls Royce has its headquarters here
  • The Peak District nation park lies mostly within Derbyshire

It's a pretty great county to be fair, great scenery, great for driving, great food, friendly locals and not very expensive. 

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

@RedRider, what are the best places to live in Nebraska, and are people in Nebraska as dumb as people in Texas?  I'm not calling everybody in Texas dumb, but the city I moved to (Wichita Falls) from North Carolina makes people in North Carolina look like MENSA members, and people in North Carolina weren't too bright either. 

Rule of thumb is if you live in the Omaha metropolitan area (the only one in the state) you think everyone else is a hick (read: dumb), and if you live in the rest of the rural state you think these city people are crazy. And you have to be a particular person to enjoy living in Nebraska. Particular about one of the things I will mention below. Most people aren't particular about these, so most people would hate living in Nebraska because we have nothing else but sand, corn, and cornrows.

If one cares about the College World Series, zoos, or the theater, then Omaha is a good place to live. They host the College World series and pride themselves on their live theater. Here's a small portion of the zoo's enclosed rain forest:

ukrf75b.jpg

If one care's to live in a western themed town, either the aforementioned Sidney or Ogallala would be good choices. Ogallala has a westernized main street: 

c0ACUBa.jpg

If one wants absolutely no neighbors, then there's no better option than a ranch in the sandhills. Some ranches get up to ~50 square miles so you're nearest neighbor (that isn't a ranch hand) is an hour away.

qsyofNf.jpg

Enfield CT

North American headquarters of Lego

Jonathan Edwards preached his famous Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God sermon here.

Hazard powder company supplied like 40% of gun powder used in Civil War

The Bigelow Sanford carpet mill was one of there biggest in the states

Archived