Stock Up, Stock Down Weeks 3-6

ChaRisMa

Entertaining game. Packers have the bye to get healthy and square up during the bye week before heading West to play the only team they probably need help to catch in the Los Angeles Rams. In my opinion, anything can happen moving forward--good or bad. I just want to get on the record saying it will be good.

STOCK UP:

RBs Aaron Jones, Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams all showing improvement. So a moment to recognize RB coach Ben Sirmons is to be observed.

Not carrying a FB has been fine.

Davante Adams is playing at an All-Pro level. Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, and to a lesser degree J'mon Moore have all made strides, and have shown themselves to be valid Draft Picks.

Jimmy Graham is on pace for 930 yards receiving, and fitting in better every week.

Kenny Clark IS the best player on this defense.

Blake Martinez is the best linebacker on this defense.

Nick Perry isn't going to fade away.

Kevin King is still the best boundary CB we have. 

STOCK DOWN: 

Aaron Rodgers why you no play like 30 Mil QB? 

Randall Cobb can't help the club dressed in sweats.

Packers OL in general has been a bit disappointing.

Mike Daniels hasn't made many splash plays. 

If you are the last person on Earth who had hope Clay Mathews was going to deliver another 10 sack season in his career, the bus isn't coming back to get you.

Tramon Williams was a bad Free Agent contract.

Kentrell Brice can't cover the deep third. Teams are targeting him now.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I'm not sure why anyone thought he was going to fix the issue.  He was a band-aid at best.  You re-signed him because it was unlikely that Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson would be ready, and Kevin King was coming off injury.  Hopefully Jaire is healthy and Breeland is ready to go, we can transition Tramon to safety.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Nick Perry isn't going to fade away.

I am not excited by Perry in any way thus far.  I haven't gone so far as to watch all his rushes but dang... it's not inspiring when I do watch him.  He got by tonight on veteran experience vs a QB who telegraphs his passes in the short passing game.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Mike Daniels hasn't made many splash plays. 

This is a pretty big concern for the D

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Kentrell Brice can't cover the deep third. Teams are targeting him now.

This is far and away the biggest problem.  Tramon can't hang against weak No. 1 WRs or decent No. 2 WRs at ALL.  And he's still liable to give up ground against 3's and 4's like vs Washington.  Tramon is playing one of the most important spots and he's a real liability.  If it weren't for Brice and his super obvious deficiencies, Tramon would look way worse.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure why anyone thought he was going to fix the issue.  He was a band-aid at best.  You re-signed him because it was unlikely that Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson would be ready, and Kevin King was coming off injury.  Hopefully Jaire is healthy and Breeland is ready to go, we can transition Tramon to safety.

There were plenty here who had a ton of misplaced confidence because he got to play opposite Patrick Peterson in ARI on a good pass defense and got a ton of help last year. 

We aren't quite at the same level with using King like that yet, and Tramon is really struggling with communication and stuff he shouldn't be for an experienced vet. 

After a few weeks @palmy50 was talking about how he was fine and not a real problem.  Right now he's standing in the way of Josh Jackson getting thrown into the fire, but from what I've seen let's throw him in there.

2 years 10M for a replacement level player.  Really not sure that he's any better than House was or Tony Brown is.  Not a contract that kills you by any means, but the 1.6M dead cap next year isn't a picnic either.

Decent on punt returns at least.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

There were plenty here who had a ton of misplaced confidence because he got to play opposite Patrick Peterson in ARI on a good pass defense and got a ton of help last year. 

We aren't quite at the same level with using King like that yet, and Tramon is really struggling with communication and stuff he shouldn't be for an experienced vet. 

After a few weeks @palmy50 was talking about how he was fine and not a real problem.  Right now he's standing in the way of Josh Jackson getting thrown into the fire, but from what I've seen let's throw him in there.

2 years 10M for a replacement level player.  Really not sure that he's any better than House was or Tony Brown is.  Not a contract that kills you by any means, but the 1.6M dead cap next year isn't a picnic either.

Decent on punt returns at least.

We had him before, and we knew what his limitations were.  He's not able to keep up with guys with wheels.  He's a guy whose going to win by technique, not because of raw athleticism.  We can release him after the season and we're only sitting on $1.6M in dead cap.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We had him before, and we knew what his limitations were.  He's not able to keep up with guys with wheels.  He's a guy whose going to win by technique, not because of raw athleticism.  We can release him after the season and we're only sitting on $1.6M in dead cap.

Game plan.

In the interim we need Breeland to make himself known in this secondary. If its to help slide Tramon to S - or simply push Tramon down the the dime CB - either is fine with me.
I think Breeland has more to offer than Williams at this stage and I like a mix of him, King, Alex and JJ.

Hate to say it, but we may need to draft another CB very high next draft, like 2nd round level high. Use our 1st's on a pass rusher and OLineman. This team is not looking SB contender level this year. That's ok. We are still in a mini-rebuild. I'm glad some of this year's rookies are showing promise, notably the WR's. 

I know some think it's bullcrap, but I bet Tramon has more than earned his paycheck with regard to all of our young guys. Just like so many other things this season, you can't blame the player if he is put in a position to fail. It's like blaming Brice for not being able to cover a #1 WR one on one.

33 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Hate to say it, but we may need to draft another CB very high next draft, like 2nd round level high. Use our 1st's on a pass rusher and OLineman. This team is not looking SB contender level this year. That's ok. We are still in a mini-rebuild. I'm glad some of this year's rookies are showing promise, notably the WR's. 

Why?

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

Kevin, Jaire, Josh... think we can spend those picks elsewhere.

7 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Blake Martinez is the best linebacker on this defense.

This is an indictment of our linebacker group.

Martinez was straight trash until San Fran's last drive where he was either told to run blitz or finally realized that staying in one spot and allowing himself to get blocked was completely screwing our defense.  

AJ Hawk was blushing last night.

Up:

The young receivers made plays and got open often.  They're big, tall, and fast.  If 2 of the 3 develop we'll have a good group of receivers.  

I see Graham becoming the safety blanket for Rodgers.  He can get open and can catch.  He should get more looks.

Kevin King is good.  He just needs to stay healthy.

Adams lives up to his contract.  Dude is legit and surrounded with potential.  WR could be a strength again soon.

Down:

I think the entire defense is a down.  Even coaching. An early series had the two OLB as Fackrell and Gilbert until they got in a third a long situation.  It seemed like the defense got better when the decided to go heavy on the Run D.

Mike D needs his face on a milk carton because he'd disappeared.

Clay doesn't have it anymore.

Kentrell Brice's value is somewhere between a sick of gum and an orange shoelace. I'm all for moving Tramon to Safety.

I was at the game and Aaron was not seeing a lot of open receivers last night and could have avoided several pressures/sacks if he saw/threw it to them.  Something isn't right with him.  He came through in the end, but still...

Archived