Bye Week Assessment Thread

Leader

Just now, cannondale said:

The last 3 weeks or so MM has given the guys an extra day off if I'm not mistaken

Monday Night Game is standard operating procedure to give guys an extra "day off". You run your normal practice schedule but push it forward a day, so it's the standard week relative to when the game is.

The entire point of the bye week is to give guys time off.

With Rodgers, Adams, Allison, Cobb, McCray, Bulaga, Perry, Clark, Burks, Alexander, etc. all dealing with injuries, most of the team could use a day off anyway. It's not like guys still aren't coming to the facility for treatment and film. You're just not holding meetings and doing gym work. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Btw.....not exactly sure why, but JAX is having a complete and total meltdown.

JAX is paying the price for their stubbornness in sticking with Bortles.  Even very good defense can only carry a bad QB a while.  When Bortles was playing as an effective game manager, JAX was fine.  Now that he's gone full Bortles, things are coming apart quickly.  JAX is getting what they deserve for not bringing in someone to compete at QB when they knew it was the biggest weakness on their roster.  Bortles has very predictably reverted to being a bottom tier QB, and they have nothing to replace him with. 

40 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

JAX is paying the price for their stubbornness in sticking with Bortles.  Even very good defense can only carry a bad QB a while.  When Bortles was playing as an effective game manager, JAX was fine.  Now that he's gone full Bortles, things are coming apart quickly.  JAX is getting what they deserve for not bringing in someone to compete at QB when they knew it was the biggest weakness on their roster.  Bortles has very predictably reverted to being a bottom tier QB, and they have nothing to replace him with. 

There is unrest in paradise...................

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

See, it might work- Deshone Kizer for Dante Fowler Jr- book it.

My assessment is:

We do not have a pass rush that will enable us to get anywhere close to where we want to go. Which is the Super Bowl.

Our head coach is not very good, I'd rank him below Jason Garrett in the overall rankings. He gets ranked higher because he has had nothing but HOF QB's under center. 

We need to be a lot more committed to running the football but we won't. 

I want the young receivers to play more.

I want the 3 young CB's to be CB 1, 2 and 3. Tramon is terrible at this point in his career. 

I want Rodgers consistently getting the ball out of his hand in 2.5 seconds or less. 

I see a season where we are 7-8-1 to 9-6-1. I think we're at 3-4-1 in two weeks, but they could surprise me if Rodgers plays insane. 10-5-1 is the absolute best I see with our remaining schedule. 

Lot of work to do in the off season. 

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

My assessment is:

We do not have a pass rush that will enable us to get anywhere close to where we want to go. Which is the Super Bowl.

Our head coach is not very good, I'd rank him below Jason Garrett in the overall rankings. He gets ranked higher because he has had nothing but HOF QB's under center. 

We need to be a lot more committed to running the football but we won't. 

I want the young receivers to play more.

I want the 3 young CB's to be CB 1, 2 and 3. Tramon is terrible at this point in his career. 

I want Rodgers consistently getting the ball out of his hand in 2.5 seconds or less. 

I see a season where we are 7-8-1 to 9-6-1. I think we're at 3-4-1 in two weeks, but they could surprise me if Rodgers plays insane. 10-5-1 is the absolute best I see with our remaining schedule. 

Lot of work to do in the off season. 

For the most part, I agree with you.

The coach, though.....Too many times I've seen guys running wide open and Rodgers just plain doesn't see them.  I'm no Mac fan...and Lord knows his teams do not play with energy, urgency or passion.  But...as a play caller, I think he's been quite good this year.  He's called man beater and zone beaters at correct times, his QB has just failed to execute.  Probably a function of not practicing as much as he would like.

Running game.  Far too often we are two scores down and in passing mode.  That puts Jones on the bench.  Let's see what happens if the club actually gets up by two scores sometime.

I too want young receivers to play more...but...if you want to win now, you integrate them slowly.  Rodgers with Adams, Cobb and GMO is better than Rodgers with Adams, MVS and ESB.

Agree on the three young corners being 1, 2 and 3.  I'm not sure if they've all been healthy at any one time this year, though.  Breeland needs snaps when he is healthy, too.

Amen to Rodgers getting the ball out of his hand.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:01 AM, Leader said:

Looking for some Bye Week help from:

Miami (over Detroit).
New York Jets (over Minnesota).
New England (over Chicago).
San Fran (over Los Angeles Rams).
Baltimore (over New Orleans).
Dallas (over Washington).
Philadelphia (over Carolina).
Cleveland (over Tampa Bay).
New York Giants (over Atlanta).

Likelihood some of these outcomes take place? Thats for Vegas to determine, but I wouldnt be putting my money down on them all :)

I think....if I do anymore weekly assessments - I'm gonna chose the team to win that we can least afford to win. Try a little reverse psychology on it.
Although ATL has yet to dispatch the NYG - I'm fairly confident I'm looking at a 1 + 8 prognostication record. 

23 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

In my mind, Adams goes in group two, Martinez moves to group 3, and Graham doesn't show up on any of these lists.  I am not sure I have seen a single special play from Graham this season that hasn't come from a busted coverage.

I'll try to sway you with Adams.  He's special.  His quickness is elite.  His route running is excellent.  He is flat out killing it this year, his first year as the featured WR.  He's everything you want from a WR 1.

I'm higher on Martinez than most.  He's on pace for like 150 tackles and 8 sacks.  He's a very good player.

Graham is quietly putting up a very nice year at tight end.  And he's been open a lot and been missed.  That part about getting open is what I like.

At least we are in a better place at this point than last season

Obviously when Allison comes back MVS role will lessen but part of me wishes Cobb wasn’t going to be back this season because I don’t want to see MVS only getting a few snaps a game. I like him on the field and seems like being thrown out there is the best way for him to learn. He’s been up the challenge. 

Also, let’s pretend we have Hundley at QB so we can start running the ball again. 

What will the Packers needs be in 2019, and how do they fill them ? 

I gave every position my mark from 1 (superb at this position, both the starters and the depth), to a 9 (as bad as it can be).   
* = needs more than one guy at this position. (The scoring is Fanspeak style).

QB 2 (not 1 due to lack of proven backup)

LT 2 (not 1 due to lack of good backup)

LG 3

OC 3

RG 6 (doesn't necessitate an early pick, like starter-quality OT or OLB  do).

RT 6 (due to injury frequency. Of course, if you want a good chance at a starting level OT, better get him in the first two rounds)

RB 3

WR 3 (Cobb is retained), 5 (Cobb gone)

TE 4 (Lewis and Kendricks retained), 5 (one of the two gone), 6 (both gone)

NT 4 (decent backup is all that is needed)

DE 4 (if Wilkerson is fit and returns), 5 (if Wilkerson's gone)

OLB 7* (if Matthews is retained), 8* (Matthews gone)

ILB 3

CB 4

S 6 (Clinton-Dix is retained), 7* (Clinton-Dix gone)

How would you rate them ? If you want to draft them what range (of rounds) would you look for them ? If you want a veteran to fill a need, you can get one top tier guy and one mid tier guy, or three mid-tier  or lower guys (the Packers never get significantly more than that). 

Archived