2019 Murphy / Gute Off-Season moves

Nick_gb

I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys would do if in the seat of these 2 gentlemen heading into the 2019 Off-Season. 

Do you retain or release Mike McCarthy? If you release him, who are you targeting as the next Head Coach of GB? Would you allow this HC to bring in his own coaching staff or insist he retains a majority of what's here currently? 

Who would be your priority extensions for Green Bay? Who would be your priority Free Agents targeted? 

Let us assume Packers pick is non-playoff and the Saints pick is mid 20's. What are you doing with these picks? 

To answer my own questions. 

1. Retain or Release Mike McCarthy? Release

2. Who are you targeting as the Next Head Coach for Green Bay?  Chris Peterson, Washington Huskies.

3. Would you allow him to bring in his own coaching staff or have him retain the current staff? Petersen is an offensive minded coach, I would allow him the option to bring in his own Offensive personnel but would ask that he try and keep the current defensive staff we have set in place. I think Pettine and crew can right that ship with the right pieces and more time.

4. Who would you prioritize resigning in Green Bay? Muhammed Wilkerson / Breeland / Monty would probably be my only priority resigning as of current this isn't to say that I wouldn't resign others they'd just be my "priority" 

5. Who would you target in Free Agency? Avery Williamson, ILB, -- Earl Thomas, FS -- Tyrann Mathieu, FS -- Dante Fowler, Edge -- Jadveon Clowney, Edge (IF he hits) My focus would be on the 2nd and 3rd levels of our defense, I think snagging an Avery Williamson / Thomas or Tyrann Mathieu would be a good get for this Defense and really solidify those younger Cornerbacks with appropriate help over the top while also assisting Martinez. I think that 1st level of defense is more meant for the Draft as it's pretty deep there. 

I'll come back to question 6 a bit later ran out of time! 

Side note: I'm not saying sign both Thomas and Mathieu it's one or the other. Also probably a much lower priority on Monty but that priority is assuming he continues on the trend up he has over the past couple weeks.

3. //www.wow-petopia.com

9 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys would do if in the seat of these 2 gentlemen heading into the 2019 Off-Season. 

Do you retain or release Mike McCarthy? If you release him, who are you targeting as the next Head Coach of GB? Would you allow this HC to bring in his own coaching staff or insist he retains a majority of what's here currently? 

Who would be your priority extensions for Green Bay? Who would be your priority Free Agents targeted? 

Let us assume Packers pick is non-playoff and the Saints pick is mid 20's. What are you doing with these picks? 

1. At this point it’s hard to ignore how unprepared and flat this team has looked this year. Think it’s time to move on from McCarthy.

2. John DeFilippo. He’s a QB guru who had great success with Wentz last year. This year he’s got Cousins on pace for franchise and career records. He’s young and inovative. He’s also got experience with Pettine if we’re willing to ignore the dumpster fire that is his defense  

3. I’d let Cobb, HHCD and CM3 walk. Would love to see us add a free agent edge defender and a starting safety  

4. Edge, Saftey and Tackle would be my priorities in that order.

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

1. At this point it’s hard to ignore how unprepared and flat this team has looked this year. Think it’s time to move on from McCarthy.

2. John DeFilippo. He’s a QB who had great success with Wentz last year. This year he’s got Cousins on pace for franchise and career records. He’s young and inovative. He’s also got experience with Pettine if we’re willing to ignore the dumpster fire that is his defense  

3. I’d let Cobb, HHCD and CM3 walk. Would love to see us add a free agent edge defender and a starting safety  

4. Edge, Saftey and Tackle would be my priorities in that order.

I am on the DeFlippo train as well...I'd let him make the choice of keeping Pettine or not. 

I agree with pretty much everything you said except I retain HHCD. I just don't see him garnering a big pay day and I bring him back on a reasonable contract. I don't think just letting your good players walk is a good idea. HHCD has his faults but he has also forced 4 turnovers this year and is generally in the right spot. 

I know the games have been won ugly this year, but that become the norm in today's NFL. The main thing is that we get the win. Right now we are 3-2-1 and only 1/2 game back of the division. I don't think it's time to call for mcCharthy's job just yet. The defense has played very well this season in the 2-min drill. Ending almost half the games with a takeaway to win out. 

1. Absolutely re-sign HaHa Clinton-Dix if he wants to play here.  If he doesn't want to play here, franchise tag him and make him play one more contract year. 

2. Re-sign Breeland depending on how he looks if he ever sees the field.

3. Re-sign Jake Ryan because why wouldn't you re-sign a good IOL.

4. Re-sign Matthews if he puts finishing his career with the Packers and Rodgers over money. 

5. Let everybody else go.  Montgomery is not used how he should be, we shouldn't even have converted him.  It's a waste of his talent, let him sign with New Orleans or New England or a team that will actually use its converted WR to RB as a receiving option. 

6. Enough with the crap.  Do NOT bring Brice back, cut Brown, don't re-sign Gilbert and don't you dare keep any undrafted rookie free agents on the 53 man roster.  There are too many good available veterans for you to put longshot feel good stories on the field.  Brice is a liability.  This is why he went undrafted.  It doesn't work out.  You don't get roster quality players undrafted.  The odds are one in one hundred, less even, to get an okay player that was undrafted.  This practice has to stop.

7. Skill positions on offense are set.  Jimmy Graham has been a BAMF in the receiving game.  Rodgers needs to get him the ball more.  Graham is open, Rodgers isn't hitting him.  MVS is on pace for a historically significant season.  He's about to do something less than 5% of 6th round receivers has done in the past twenty years of the NFL.  ESB has shown flashes of brilliance, too.  Rodgers won't have the excuse of not having any receiving options next year.  Adams, MVS, ESB, Allison... That's a good group. 

8. Upgrade at IOL in free agency, or at least get better depth.  Also, if Clinton-Dix leaves, replace him in free agency for a better option.  Earl Thomas, Mathieu and one other good safety are free agents next year.  Clinton-Dix's market could be nonexistent. 

8. Our two first round picks have to become one first round pick, and it has to be the best pass rusher our picks can buy.  Period.  End of discussion. 

9. After pass rusher, draft the best available players at the following positions: Safety, OT, EDGE.

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

1. Absolutely re-sign HaHa Clinton-Dix if he wants to play here.  If he doesn't want to play here, franchise tag him and make him play one more contract year. 

2. Re-sign Breeland depending on how he looks if he ever sees the field.

3. Re-sign Jake Ryan because why wouldn't you re-sign a good IOL.

4. Re-sign Matthews if he puts finishing his career with the Packers and Rodgers over money. 

5. Let everybody else go.  Montgomery is not used how he should be, we shouldn't even have converted him.  It's a waste of his talent, let him sign with New Orleans or New England or a team that will actually use its converted WR to RB as a receiving option. 

6. Enough with the crap.  Do NOT bring Brice back, cut Brown, don't re-sign Gilbert and don't you dare keep any undrafted rookie free agents on the 53 man roster.  There are too many good available veterans for you to put longshot feel good stories on the field.  Brice is a liability.  This is why he went undrafted.  It doesn't work out.  You don't get roster quality players undrafted.  The odds are one in one hundred, less even, to get an okay player that was undrafted.  This practice has to stop.

7. Skill positions on offense are set.  Jimmy Graham has been a BAMF in the receiving game.  Rodgers needs to get him the ball more.  Graham is open, Rodgers isn't hitting him.  MVS is on pace for a historically significant season.  He's about to do something less than 5% of 6th round receivers has done in the past twenty years of the NFL.  ESB has shown flashes of brilliance, too.  Rodgers won't have the excuse of not having any receiving options next year.  Adams, MVS, ESB, Allison... That's a good group. 

8. Upgrade at IOL in free agency, or at least get better depth.  Also, if Clinton-Dix leaves, replace him in free agency for a better option.  Earl Thomas, Mathieu and one other good safety are free agents next year.  Clinton-Dix's market could be nonexistent. 

8. Our two first round picks have to become one first round pick, and it has to be the best pass rusher our picks can buy.  Period.  End of discussion. 

9. After pass rusher, draft the best available players at the following positions: Safety, OT, EDGE.

So, I was going to type a post...then I read this and that was pretty much what I would type...here's what I would add.

1) I'm not Ha Ha fan.  However, I think that line of thought..making him play for another deal is very interesting.  My rub against him is that I think he can be so much better than he is...  maybe that tag will bring it out of him.  Very interesting point and one that I had no considered.

2) I'm good there.  Need veteran depth.

3) Yup.

4) I let Clay go.  Any money spent on him is bad money at this point.  He's a guy who will go somewhere else, have a bounce back year, then be done.

5) See yah Monty.  Been real.  Been fun.  Hasn't been real fun.  It us, not you.

6)  Agree.

7) I like the rookie WR's a lot.  Didn't we have a sig bet on them?  I can let you off the hook on that one, if it pans out, because injuries have forced the rookies onto the field.  Still, I'm happy that you like them too, as I know your philosophy on taking a WR in the first round!

8) Need a better right guard.  Maybe even better right tackle.  I disagree on the market for HHCD...he will have the INTS and the INTS will get him paid in that 6M+/year range.  Earl Thomas is going to be expensive, if he is $6-7M/year.  Do it.  If not, find young, fresh legs.  Has Mathieu done anything this year?  

8) Another 8.  :)  Let me ask you this.  Demarcus Lawrence.  Is he worth the two first round picks?  He's a game changer on the edge.  If no, then the draft....And...I'd argue that there is going to be good depth on the edge in this year's draft.  Before I definitively say I want to trade up for one edge kid, I want to see the pool of talent.  I'm not opposed to grabbing two edge kids as we are just that weak at that position.  Would you look at trading a third or so for Fowler or Ray this year?  Nothing higher than a 3....

9) With all the holes on the roster and the lack of overall talent, I'm really looking at BPA at any position except QB and corner.

I am indifferent to McCarthy.  If we do get a new coach, I would allow him to assemble his staff how he sees fit.  Let him do his job.

The Packers have 21 free agents:  Matthews, Cobb, Wilkerson, Lewis, Clinton-Dix, Kendricks, Bell, House, Breeland, Toomer, Montgomery, Ryan, Allison, Patrick, Whitehead, McCray, Brice, Gilbert, Tonyan, Kumerow, Lancaster.

I would bring back: Allison, Patrick, Whitehead, McCray, Brice, Gilbert, Tonyan, and Lancaster.  They should be cheap and easy re-signs, and I think all are still ascending players.  Maybe only one of Whitehead and Brice.

After much self-debate, I think keeping HaHa is the correct move.  I think that he will get over paid, but I think this is paying a B player A- money.  Probably a better deal than the current contracts of Matthews, Perry, and Cobb.  Rather than just burning down the safety room, add a starter to HaHa and let Brice and/or Whitehead, and Jones (have him util 2021) fight it out for that 3rd safety spot.

I would probably try to get Wilkerson on a similar deal to the one he signed this season.  I would also try to get Matthews for a contract more inline with his age and production.

Draft and FA targets: 

1.  Pass Rush.  Fackrell can't do it all on his own.

2.  Starting Safety.  I won't add just to add.  If this is not a player that will immediately be better than Brice, don't do it.

3.  Interrior OL.  RG is rather weak.  Taylor will be 31 when his contract expires, and I am not sure we can't improve upon Linsley.

4.  TE.  Someone clone Travis Kelce...

8 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

I am on the DeFlippo train as well...I'd let him make the choice of keeping Pettine or not. 

I agree with pretty much everything you said except I retain HHCD. I just don't see him garnering a big pay day and I bring him back on a reasonable contract. I don't think just letting your good players walk is a good idea. HHCD has his faults but he has also forced 4 turnovers this year and is generally in the right spot. 

I don't think HHCD wants to be in Green Bay and I don't believe he's going to be worth a fraction of what he'll cost.  With the way he quit on this team last year, paying him a big contract is dangerous.  The turnovers he creates aren't worth the risks he brings (the ability to quit on his team) and the horrid break downs in coverage that have frequented him this year IMO.  He's a mediocre player who's going to be looking to be paid like an all pro.

1. Fire McCarthy

2. Get at LEAST 2 EDGE pass rushers. Matthews has to go. Perry has brought nothing this year. 

3. Another interior defensive lineman assuming Wilkerson isn't coming back

4. Add a safety (I think Ha ha leaves)

5. A faster TE in round 3 - 4 of draft. 

6. Depth on offensive line maybe round 2 or 3, plus one later. 

Bonus:

7. A joy stick WR 

8. ILB but I think by next year you see Burks and possibly Jones starting there. If Pettine's defense is to work our ILB have to be able to go sideline to sideline. 

9. Draft a kicker in round 5. 

Keep MM.  Can't believe how many fans are ready to jettison a VERY successful HC.  Granted they haven't looked good this year but c'mon.  HIs record speaks for itself.  Yes 2 edge guys.  I would resign Matthews and move him inside.  If we can get MO back all for it.  3-4 mil/yr.  I also worry about Dix.  He seems to be more interested in money than the game.  Don't like his attitude.  We'll need a vet as well as 1 or 2 picks at this position. Yep need a young TE to groom.  Need depth on OL for sure.  Interior G position.  OT has me concerned depends on Spriggs.  OK at WR depends on Cobb.  If no resign than yes a fast shifty guy.  ILB with addition of moving Mathews we'd be OK.  No kicker Crosby has a few seasons left.

A lot of needs on this team.  Wouldn't package 1's to move up.  Edge is deep enough we should be able to snag a couple of promising players.   Would explore trading for Fowler.  Getting a vet plus a promising player in the draft would help tremendously.  One last point depending on MO think we could use more depth along the D-line.  

I may be the only one, but due to durability issues (e.g., King), I'd like to see them draft another CB, say in the 2nd or 3rd round, who can play boundary. Yes, yes, we only have so many picks, and we also need Safety help back there, but I think we need four decent cb's, given that it seems at any given time, at least one of those four is gonna be nicked up, not playing. So I could see a draft priority of Edge--OL--Safety--CB...

I know this is heresy but Tony Brown has impressed me in coverage.  Young and made a few boneheaded mistakes however the kid can cover.  Also have Breeland who we may bring back.  OK at CB.  S if a much bigger need IMO.  They should move Tramon back there would solve a lot of problems.

Archived