Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

5 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

A second home or condo is an investment whether you call it one or not. If it's lying dormant most of the year, the fixed costs will make it a sinkhole unless you have FU money. If it's somewhere near the beach insurance costs can be very high, HOA dues are standard and typically very high and real estate taxes are extra rough when it's not your principal residence. From a cost perspective it would almost assuredly make more sense to just rent something even if it's for 2-3 months. Unless you can buy at a steep discount and you think the property will increase in value a lot.

You and @theJ are likely right in that it isn't worth the cost year long for a 2 month deal. I just get crazy ideas from time to time. Guess we could airbnb the thing pending where we were at, but then you'd need a cleaning service or rental company. Thought about just doing the airbnb subletting in a different city every summer but that adds up. 

Went to my credit union and got approved, but only for 100K. That would be with my 20K down payment. I figured I could get more, but apparently I must pay at least 20% on a down payment. Should I try a different bank? Or will I probably get the same results. I have really good credit too. 

6 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Went to my credit union and got approved, but only for 100K. That would be with my 20K down payment. I figured I could get more, but apparently I must pay at least 20% on a down payment. Should I try a different bank? Or will I probably get the same results. I have really good credit too. 

There are typically other programs depending on the bank. FHA loans allow for 5% down but you would pay PMI (extra monthly cost) until your equity in the property gets to 20%. The monthly payments will be a bit higher but it's a good option for those that dont have 20% in cash.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:30 PM, Blazer026 said:

That seems really low for such a high down payment, and I think this is probably the problem.  I would go to a bank.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, Blazer026 said:

I had a similar down-payment on my first house and they approved me for 200k (think they would have went higher too). Try another bank. 

13 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

And I make about 47K a year and my only debt is 9K on the truck I bought 2 years ago. No student loans or anything. 

Definitely go to someone else.  That is way too low.  I don't make much more than you and have a good chunk of student debt, and I got approved for way more, with a significantly smaller down payment.

Just got word Monday that the seller accepted my offer :D We close July 2nd! This is my first home!

.25 acre lot, huge backyard, 1588 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath split level, nice size rec room, beautiful kitchen with granite countertops and new stainless steel appliances, in a good part of town! $205,000 (VA loan) with seller paying $7500 towards closing costs! So excited! Been trying to get a house for about a decade now (I'll be 36 at time of closing).

c38c57f9e3dfe561c179d1be1b060bf0l-m0xd-w

c38c57f9e3dfe561c179d1be1b060bf0l-m25xd-

c38c57f9e3dfe561c179d1be1b060bf0l-m7xd-w

c38c57f9e3dfe561c179d1be1b060bf0l-m16xd-

• Like 6

On 5/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, we pay $650 a month now in rent and obviously do fine so I'm thinking we'd be fine in the 900-1000 dollar range for a mortgage.

Wish I was that lucky. I pay about $1400 rent right now, this mortgage I am getting will land somewhere around $1125-1200 and I'm happy for that :D

4 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

So excited! Been trying to get a house for about a decade now (I'll be 36 at time of closing).

HUGE congrats to you and your family, your place looks fantastic.
Can I camp in your expansive back yard ?

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

HUGE congrats to you and your family, your place looks fantastic.
Can I camp in your expansive back yard ?

Whats funny is that's one of the first things my daughter wants to do. And I'm thinking making a small fire pit may be a great idea to go along with that :D