Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

12 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

From watching the market closely the last few weeks, it seems like more houses get listed on Thursday than any other day. At worst, I'm hoping I fall in love with another again tonight and have my heart ripped out again tomorrow night.

26k9Td7.gif?1

47 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Just going to the house store and buying them up out of boredom #TheDream

I think that's how my son sees it.  He's really confused as to why we're not living in the new place already.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, Daniel said:

The interest rate is lower, and the down payment is significantly less.  That's a big one for us since I'm the only earner in my household til June.  Plus, we're buying a fixer upper in an expensive market, and our options are limited if we're going to move by June, when my fiance's job starts (we're going to be splitting our commute).

Our problem is the up front money, since we're also paying for our wedding in August and have to have enough back to pay for the needed immediate repairs.  Once her job starts, our income doubles, so we should be able to pay off the mortgage in about 10 years or so.

My score is 720, which isn't as high as I'd like it to be, but I didn't think was that bad.

Thats awesome if you can pay it off in 10 years. Congrats on that haha. I thought we were doing good being on pace for 25 years on a 30 year loan

On 3/29/2019 at 9:50 AM, skywindO2 said:

Just going to the house store and buying them up out of boredom #TheDream

Psshh, not having a mortgage payment #TheRealDream

For anyone who hasn't used a mortgage calculator to see how much an extra $100 or so toward their principal will save them in the long run, you should check it out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Around how much are the monthly mortgage payments that you guys are paying? My cousin pays quite a bit more for rent on his little apartment than I pay for my mortgage

Rent is generally more expensive monthly than a mortgage.  You have to think, the landlord is paying a mortgage, so if he's going to profit, he's going to charge more for the rent than he pays for the mortgage.

For the area we're trying to buy in, the rent seems to be about $1000-1200 monthly for a place that's decent and allows six indoor pets.  Our mortgage is projected to be right at $1000.

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Rent is generally more expensive monthly than a mortgage.  You have to think, the landlord is paying a mortgage, so if he's going to profit, he's going to charge more for the rent than he pays for the mortgage.

For the area we're trying to buy in, the rent seems to be about $1000-1200 monthly for a place that's decent and allows six indoor pets.  Our mortgage is projected to be right at $1000.

Yes but this is an apartment. Obviously area has a lot to do with that also.

I guess that's why I never rented until I bought. How big of a house is that?

19 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Around how much are the monthly mortgage payments that you guys are paying? My cousin pays quite a bit more for rent on his little apartment than I pay for my mortgage

In Colorado, my mortgage is $2200 per month (2200 sq ft) and apartments in this area are around $1800

20 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yes but this is an apartment. Obviously area has a lot to do with that also.

I guess that's why I never rented until I bought. How big of a house is that?

Renting is more expensive, yes.  But i would generally advise against buying immediately when first starting your adult life.  Mainly because you're very statistically likely to sell that place within a few years anyway, so you're already at risk of losing money on that transaction (sellers fees, closing costs, market trends, etc.).  Also because the first place you buy is going to be the cheapest, and hardest to resell.

Just one example, but i know a guy who bought while still in college because of the exact reasons you named.  It was a dump (but cheap!) in a bad part of town.  It took him a few years to sell that place, and he and his family had to live that hole the whole time.

Renting is pretty smart when you first start your adult life, IMO.  We did it, and we're just about to move out of our first house.  And that house should sell fast, because we could afford to buy a decent property that had good resell value in a decent area.

When I buy, my montly mortgage is going to be more expensive but my rent is unrealistically cheap right now(friend that lets me live in her second bedroom doesn't charge me market rate, I actually raised my own rent at one point) and I've been living with the benefits/negatives of that. However, the mortgage + hoa fees for places I'm looking at is $300-$600/month less than any comparable apartment I'd find rent. 

Edited by skywindO2