Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

ahhhhh! YES!!! I used this graphic TWO DAYS AGO in class with my kids who used faulty inductive reasoning and irrelevant statistics on their midterms! Let's gooo!!!!!!

That kid might be mad at you now, but they'd thank you 10 years down the line when some youtube "finance whiz" tries to take their money.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Came here for houses. Was disappointed.

However, this thread basically turned into /r/WallStreetBets so now I'm laughing my *** off at people still believing youtube finance videos.

btw @ramssuperbowl99, my HSA is now over $3,000 in 8 the 8 months I've been maxing it out. Pretty neato, gang.

That's what I'm talking about! Nice work.

36 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That kid might be mad at you now, but they'd thank you 10 years down the line when some youtube "finance whiz" tries to take their money.

I'll give my students major props, usually young people are willing to admit when a teacher gives them constructive criticism and feedback and totally own it. Take notes baby boomers.

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

Prove it.

Two things:

The burden of proof should certainly lie with you, only one of us is making outlandish claims and you posted a pointless graphic with a random spot circled. I can also circle random spots on graphs and try to predict the future.

If you somehow knew when the housing bubble would burst again but simultaneously decided you'd rather remain in dividend producing stocks to "have income" that would be pretty hilarious. Your posts make zero sense. You can't say you know when the housing bubble will burst and then also have no interest in profiting off of it. It's like saying you know the mega millions numbers, but you'll give me them tomorrow. If you're so confident then you should be putting your money where your mouth is.

3 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Two things:

The burden of proof should certainly lie with you, only one of us is making outlandish claims and you posted a pointless graphic with a random spot circled. I can also circle random spots on graphs and try to predict the future.

If you somehow knew when the housing bubble would burst again but simultaneously decided you'd rather remain in dividend producing stocks to "have income" that would be pretty hilarious. Your posts make zero sense. You can't say you know when the housing bubble will burst and then also have no interest in profiting off of it. It's like saying you know the mega millions numbers, but you'll give me them tomorrow. If you're so confident then you should be putting your money where your mouth is.

It's honestly worse than saying you know the lottery numbers. At least then you're just guessing.

It's common knowledge that the purchasing power of the average American is down. It's common knowledge that American wages haven't kept up with inflation. We live in a global economy (that sound you are hearing is Alex Jones screaming) that we didn't in the 50's when you had to send through information with frickin' morse code. Nowadays, you have people working for a corporation based in America globally, all contributing some net positive to that corporation, and those global contributions only show up in 1 side of that equation. 

Which isn't exactly some brilliant insight by me either. That's also common knowledge.

This is like saying you know the lottery numbers like it's some secret, then backing it up by citing weird National Treasure evidence on the dollar bill and after you've calculated everything, the lotto numbers are going to be 1-2-3-4-5. We've heard this shpeal before, it's not groundbreaking.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Malfatron said:

okay, what are some definite "must dos" to winterize a house?

Aside from the great advice that @Dome provided, I would make sure that you have quality windows so that heat doesn't escape your house. I would also make sure that you have proper insulation throughout your house, in your walls, in the attic, etc. Change your furnace filters (cheap fix), switch/reverse your ceiling fans, put weatherstrips on your doors/make a "draft snake" on them...all that fun stuff. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:29 AM, MWil23 said:

put weatherstrips on your doors/

Ah i need to do that to the door going into the garage.  When the wind blows the right direction, i can feel the draft coming through that door.  It's not good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Housing crash is def coming, just make sure you tip toe around people who own a house, they take it personal and go in denial. Heck, I would too. 

Housing market is definitely gonna keep going up. Just make sure you tip toe around people wasting money on rent and/or living with their parents. Tends to be a bitter crowd.

7 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Housing market is definitely gonna keep going up. Just make sure you tip toe around people wasting money on rent and/or living with their parents. Tends to be a bitter crowd.

This is exacty what I’m talking about. The bubble will burst by 2021. All the things that caused the 2008 are happening again, and way worse.