Week 7 GDT: Cin @ KC

onejayhawk

I've been down on our defense, but i'm seeing things that give me cause for hope. Lucas, DoD, even Speaks are flashing at times. Ford is improving. Jones and company are holding the Dline. (Well, against Cincy anyway).

A defense that's not embarrassing themselves will go a long way to increasing  already formidable team-strength.

8 hours ago, jimmydee said:

Unless I'm missing something, it looked to me as though the defense played faster last night??  People coming downhill to the ball carrier or closing with intent on the receivers.  Thoughts?

They were more aggressive and better tackling.

The club passing records are surprising. Lenny Dawson was a bada$$ QB.

Trent Green was good but Priest Holmes took it to the house as soon as they got past midfield.  

Part of what’s neat about Mahomes is how he handles short yardage situations with alot of opposing players in close proximity. You can’t coach his instincts in those situations. On his first TD pass to Hunt he was looking off him until the last second.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, mayanfootball said:

I've been down on our defense, but i'm seeing things that give me cause for hope. Lucas, DoD, even Speaks are flashing at times. Ford is improving. Jones and company are holding the Dline. (Well, against Cincy anyway).

A defense that's not embarrassing themselves will go a long way to increasing  already formidable team-strength.

Nnadi is earning more and more snaps by the week, too. I'm telling you, these defensive rookies all fill a need on our roster. Even Watts flashed a bunch before he got injured. DoD is probably my favorite pick, though. Reports out if camp said he struggled with trusting his instincts at first, but that didn't show on tape at all this week. If he can keep that up, he single-handedly solves our problems with RBs in the passing game. I can't wait to see this class continue to develop. I'm super excited about it.

I'm pretty sure someone will be able to pull up that chart I saw on twitter but am unable to find again.

Throughout the CIN game Mahome had FOURdeep throws. Two incomplete, one intercepted, one for 50 yards to Watkins.

On the other hand, more than one third of his throws were behind the LOS (or just at it). The others were somewhere between 3 and 12 yards across the LOS. Nevertheless - look at the yards per throw. The thread of him pulling a Mahomes-Hill thing keeps opposing teams covering the deep field, opening up spaces in the intermediate.

It's a game of chess ... 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:50 PM, KC_Guy said:

I'm pretty sure someone will be able to pull up that chart I saw on twitter but am unable to find again.

Throughout the CIN game Mahome had FOURdeep throws. Two incomplete, one intercepted, one for 50 yards to Watkins.

On the other hand, more than one third of his throws were behind the LOS (or just at it). The others were somewhere between 3 and 12 yards across the LOS. Nevertheless - look at the yards per throw. The thread of him pulling a Mahomes-Hill thing keeps opposing teams covering the deep field, opening up spaces in the intermediate.

It's a game of chess ... 

I also think it can't be understated how much better Mahomes is at ball placement than Smith, in terms of just hitting guys in stride. Makes a big difference for YAC.

Archived