The 3 in the 3-4 defense

Abdoulaye

The sooner JR and Vrabel act on this we will be contenders. There are three positions in the 3-4 defense that cannot be fill by average players : NT, MLB and FS. 

NT: Teams will always just gash you in the middle with the run game or the QB consistently stepping into the pocket to make deadly throws down the field. Dexter Lawrence NT CLEMSON is a mist draft next year. 

MLB: QB of the defense , you do not win championships without a special player at that position. I still think Rashaad Evans could be the one. Just s lil worried about his injuries.

FS: Somebody controlling the backfield, always around the ball . Still think Kevin Byard could be that player for us. 

Without those three positions even with the best pass rushers and DBs football we will still live  and relive those disappointing seasons year after year . I think LeShaun Sims should be starting over Butler ( He robbed us ) .

Of course offensively the sooner LaFleur realizes Derrick Henry is our best weapon at this point and actually give him 15 to 20 touches a game , we will still be the same old disrespected Tennessee Titans. The 3-3 record could have easily been 6-0 or 5-1 on our way to running away with the division lead. Maybe a true FB is needed or Henry can line up behind center 5 to 10 times a game to avoid running for negative yards and all the sacks. 

I had high hopes for JR an the new coaching staff by let’s face it, play calling and the lack of interior pressure defensively are the main reason we are struggling right now. 

Next order of business the interior OL absolutely needs to be addressed this upcoming off season. From the last few games last years to week 6 this year , it almost seems like we are lining up only 3 or 4 Olinenem. 

In 2004 maybe a NT is essential, but in 2018 you spend the majority of the time in the nickel. It's a passing league. Most 330+ NTs are not pass rushers and rarely see more than 40% of the snaps. I hardly consider them essential.

We're listed as a 3-4 but we're basically a 4-2 now because the nickel is our base offense. 2 EDGE guys, 2 ILBs, and 2 iDL. Casey is the 3 tech and the others are lined up at 1 tech for the majority of our snaps. If we could get a 330+ NT to play 1 tech for us and consistently collapse the pocket on passing downs that'd be great. Not a lot of those guys.

But as far as a true NT lining up with 3 interior DL, that position might get 10% of the snaps with the way we've been running. We're in the nickel 90% of the time this season.

Also, defense is a non-issue. Butler is a bust so far, but overall the pass defense is good. We need youth and speed at the edge position because Orakpo and Morgan have fallen off and are FAs. Outside of that, our entire focus will be on offense. If we happen upon a player than can play 1 tech for us and rush/collapse the pocket that's awesome, but it's not a priority.

I am not suggesting a first round NT , but a 330lbs player that can be impactful enough on early downs to command double team to allow the LBs to attack the QBs from the middle and most importantly free up Casey from being double teamed . A second or third rounder (Lawrence from Clemson can be a second rounder). I am still 100% for drafting a OL , CB or pass catching TE in the first round . It’s was really hard watching Baltimore D get some much penetration on e every snap and Flacco consistently stepping back into the packet to make easy throws for first downs. And all the missed tackles !!!?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

This way of thinking is kinda archaic. 

The amount of time in which you have 3 down linemen actually on the field is minimal. 

Also The most important piece of a 3-4 defense is and always will be the pass rushers. 

Their isn't a 3-4 on the planet that functions well without good edge rushers. 

Our run defense will improve once Evans gets up to speed and isn't reacting to every play a step and a half late. It doesn't matter how much space is eaten if your ILB aren't instinctive enough to fill the correct spaces and make plays.

And in all honesty, one of the few bright spots defensively, imo, has been Daquan Jones. He has 2-3 plays a game where he blows up a running play.

Archived