Pettine and the Run D

AlexGreen#20

Pettine plays a lot more 2 deep safety sets than Capers ever did.

There's an issue with playing these light boxes though. Mainly that you expose yourself to getting run over. 

fkCCHvK.png

5 Offensive Lineman. 1 TE. 1 FB. You've got 7 blockers. 7 blockers means 8 gaps. 

Meanwhile we have 7 defenders. Playing with 2 deep Safeties when the opposing offense only has 2 WRs on the field seems like a very questionable decision to me, especially when the opposing QB is CJ Beathard. 

This was a run off tackle that went for 7 yards on the first play of the game.

+++

3QYMVlI.png

5 Offensive Lineman, 1 Tight End, 1 Fullback. 7 Blockers and consequently 8 gaps.

We're playing a 3-3 Nickel with 3 Safeties and 2 CBs. They've got an additional WR playing in the box in an additional blocking role, so we've got Whitehead down in the box acting as the 7th defender against their 8 blockers for 9 gaps. 

8 yard run to the outside. 

+++

GAeavFn.png

5 Offensive Lineman. 2 TEs. 7 Blockers 8 gaps.

We're in a standard 3-4. 7 defenders for 8 gaps. Again we're sitting in a Cover-2 against a two WR look. 

Another 8 yard run.

+++

tkHRGW7.png

5 Offensive Lineman. 2 TEs.

We're in a 4-3 but Clay is way the hell outside on the slot receiver to the right. This gets run straight to the left with two pulling guards that lead to an 8 yard run.

+++

wyLQUIn.png

5 Offensive Lineman. 2 Tight Ends. 1 Full Back. 9 Gaps.

We're running a straight 3-4. Kevin King is also in the box here but we're still outmanned in the box. BECAUSE WE'VE GOT TWO SAFETIES PLAYING DEEP WITH ONE GOD DAMN WR. 13 yard run.

+++

There were 10 of these plays. Plays that went for 7 or more yards where we were down a man in the box.

Those 10 runs went for: 7, 8, 8, 7, 26, 9, 13, 7, 10, and 17 yards

112 rushing yards on 10 plays. That's a lot of yards. 

My biggest problem is using the inside backers as edge containment.

44 isn't fast enough to get there in time.  50 doesn't diagnose fast enough and he got reached too many times.

Needing to cheat to get there in time leads to getting sucked up on play fakes and RPO's.  

Good informative thread - but a question.........or at least one.

Systemically whats going on here?

Is the offense catching us in an advantageous D package or are we making the wrong calculation on their intention to pass vs run?
I've read of this OLB inside responsibility with ILB outside cover before - and it hasnt been getting rave reviews (!) - so why are we continuing to do it?

I mean - back in the Capers days - this would have been passed off / attributed to his......well, any number of things......
But those issues (I thought) went out the door when Pettine walked in it. Not the case?

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think he was struggling to cover the speed of the 49ers receivers with Alexander out.  

I suspect when he has a full complement of healthy corners he will be more comfortable bringing the safety in to play in the box.

I also think Wilkerson's loss has hurt us in the run game, especially as Clark gets overused.  

But there is a systematic problem with edge containment.  Off tackle runs have absolutely killed us this year.  

The redskins and 9ers have really good offensive lines, but we were able to defend the run vs. Good lines in the past.  

I understand why Pettine is hesitant to ask his EDGE players to force runs back inside.  All four have had their struggles, and our inside backers just can't get off of blocks. 

But having our inside backers be responsible for edge containment on over 50% of running plays is clearly not the answer either.  

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

But there is a systematic problem with edge containment.  Off tackle runs have absolutely killed us this year.  

The redskins and 9ers have really good offensive lines, but we were able to defend the run vs. Good lines in the past.  

I understand why Pettine is hesitant to ask his EDGE players to force runs back inside.  All four have had their struggles, and our inside backers just can't get off of blocks. 

But having our inside backers be responsible for edge containment on over 50% of running plays is clearly not the answer either.  

I think that is a separate issue.  I was talking more about the 2 deep safety issue and playing with a light box on Monday night.

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Agree with this - especially with some of the speed merchants in the NFL now a days.
If Burks picks up (learns) his game - or Josh Jones is moved down to assist - perhaps. But we dont have ILBs that can consistently get to the outside.

Saw an NFL Network thing last night talking about the development of Jaylon Smith. Remember when we had a chance to take a flyer on this guy?
Well he's 2nd on DAL in tackles now. Vander Esch is first.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with this - especially with some of the speed merchants in the NFL now a days.
If Burks picks up (learns) his game - or Josh Jones is moved down to assist - perhaps. But we dont have ILBs that can consistently get to the outside.

Saw an NFL Network thing last night talking about the development of Jaylon Smith. Remember when we had a chance to take a flyer on this guy?

He went early in the second. We drafted Kenny Clark in the first. We made the right call.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Jaylon Smith as an alternative to Kenny Clark (taken 7 picks earlier), no, I wouldn't second guess that pick..

Archived