GDT Week 7: Baltimore Ravens vs New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

This will be Wink's biggest test yet. The Saints are coming off a Bye and present a unique set of challenges. One of the Top 3 teams we'll play this year, overall this match up will say a lot.

If this game were in the Superdome, I'd be a little more worried, but I like our chances at M&T. While the Saints do have the added luxury of coming off of a bye, I still love Drew's home-road splits in what looks to be 50 degree weather on Sunday going against (arguably) the league's best defense.

38 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

If this game were in the Superdome, I'd be a little more worried, but I like our chances at M&T. While the Saints do have the added luxury of coming off of a bye, I still love Drew's home-road splits in what looks to be 50 degree weather on Sunday going against (arguably) the league's best defense.

Looking to our interior pas rush to get in Brees’s face early and get their hands up. No comfortable throwing lanes. 

i expect <50yds rushing for the Ravens, if at all. Saints are the best rushing D so far.

Saints will score, a lot probably, too many weapons to cover. however if Mornhinweg is able to bring a decisive gameplan i see no reason this O cannot hang with the Saints, as long as they don't have to play catch-up down 2-3 scores.

predicition: 50+ pass plays for Flacco as Mornhinweg abandons the run early which equals doom. 30-20 Saints

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

i expect <50yds rushing for the Ravens, if at all. Saints are the best rushing D so far.

Saints will score, a lot probably, too many weapons to cover. however if Mornhinweg is able to bring a decisive gameplan i see no reason this O cannot hang with the Saints, as long as they don't have to play catch-up down 2-3 scores.

predicition: 50+ pass plays for Flacco as Mornhinweg abandons the run early which equals doom. 30-20 Saints

Largely because they're getting absolutely smoked in the passing game.  Their NY/A is 8.0, good for third worst (only behind the Bucs and Raiders), a whole half yard higher than #4 (Miami at 7.5).  They only have one game (of five) thus far in which they've held their opponent to less than 73% completions.  If we have 50 passing attempts, that would translate to 400 passing yards based on NO's average to date.

They're the 8th worst in defensive scoring percentage and 7th worst in defensive PPG as well, so it's not like the running and passing are netting out to be a decent D overall.

Something has to give here.

Ravens #1 D vs. Saints probably the best offense in the NFL

Drew Brees never winning against the Ravens vs. Ravens' impressive home record

Saints' abysmal defense vs. our hot-and-cold offense

I feel like this game is either going to be very bad (Saints blowout) or very good.

40 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Something has to give here.

Ravens #1 D vs. Saints probably the best offense in the NFL

Drew Brees never winning against the Ravens vs. Ravens' impressive home record

Saints' abysmal defense vs. our hot-and-cold offense

I feel like this game is either going to be very bad (Saints blowout) or very good.

These both go in the same direction (rather than being a "something has to give" situation).  

Drew Brees is going to find his man. The key is to minimize the production from Ingram/Kamara and Michael Thomas. We can't allow Michael Thomas to go across the middle and doing those deep outs to continue moving the chains. I do think this is one of those games, where it would be wise to use Jimmy Smith a lot on him so we don't get Tavon Young in a AJ Green situation again - Sean Payton definitely watched that game.

Kenny Young is the guy to spy on Kamara - Kamara will outrace Mosley every time and my fear is that our contain guy gets blocked by a pull and Kamara will be able to race inside that guy towards the sideline. That will be 10-15 yards against Mosley every time.

On offense, we just have to get going and be able to get points on the board throughout the game. Saints is a team where we could very much be in the game down by 14 in the 4th quarter.

The biggest thing that concerns me about this game is how well the Saints use play action and sweeps. Those are two areas where we are very weak. Mosley has a tendency to bite on play action, and the Saints are masters at getting people behind the 2nd level defenders. We're also not very good at setting the edge in the run game, and ultimately if guys like Ginn or Kamara get the edge on our defense, they're going to go a long ways down the field before anyone stops them.

Archived