GDT Week 7: Baltimore Ravens vs New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

well ***. great game and good to see Flacco finally put together a potential game winning drive.

its games like these that'll cost you at the end of the season i guess. what could've been. oh well. on to Carolina.

ps: for missing some crucial starters this team played a great game actually.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

well ***. great game and good to see Flacco finally put together a potential game winning drive.

its games like these that'll cost you at the end of the season i guess. what could've been. oh well. on to Carolina.

ps: for missing some crucial starters this team played a great game actually.

Flacco put a ton of game winning drives together only to be betrayed time after time, lol.

Housh @steelers 2010

D Mase @ Steelers 2009

Defense against Matty melt in ATL with 40secs left

The ultimate betrayal in Foxboro 2011

I got more clips, but it's too depressing to keep typing.

38 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Flacco put a ton of game winning drives together only to be betrayed time after time, lol.

Housh @steelers 2010

D Mase @ Steelers 2009

Defense against Matty melt in ATL with 40secs left

The ultimate betrayal in Foxboro 2011

I got more clips, but it's too depressing to keep typing.

i actually meant to add "again" as it has been a few years.

1. I actually believe this was another good game from us. We played toes 2 toes with one of the better teams in the league. It took a highly aggressive gameplan from Sean Payton to get the Saints offense to produce and keep things alive. If we hadn’t got some questionable calls late in the game, I would have been more mad about the bad call on the PI-pick play that gave the Saints a free one on the goal line. Afterwards I feel the game was called pretty fair with some calls that could have gone either way.

2. The offense actually got back in the game and produced a game winning drive. Some of it was because of scheming from the Saints and Flacco took those opportunities and made the best of them. It is still an issue that we stall in the middle of the games instead of taking off in the 3. Quarter. I don’t know if it is an attempt to play controlled and mistake free football, but it doesn’t work. We lose momentum and put our defense in bad situations.

3. Our defense held up the best they could. Jimmy Smith had a bad game, where he actually had to be the one who stepped up. The long drives partly sustained due to the Saints going on 4th down 6-7 times in the game and the offense stalling in the 3. Quarter seemed to gas our defense and prevented us from being aggressive. The Saints running game killed us more than Drew Brees did, while he made some really clutch plays, especially the scramble play with a deep connection to Thomas was a heartbreaker. If we should put any criticism on our offense, it was the inability to create a turnover – I am certain that would have made the difference – a red zone turnover in this game for either team could have made this game much less tight.

4. The running game or lack of it is a huge issue. There was some better runs with longer gains, and then they were followed up by losses of 1-2 yards. Flacco and the passing game is put in several difficult situations where they have to convert long 3rd downs, and that have given the Browns and Saints plenty of chances to play the sticks and only rush 3 or 4. We somehow have to get it going either via better scheming or a change in philosophy.

5. The oline shuffle hurt us less than I would have anticipated. It will be interesting to see how both Bozeman and especially Brown did. I saw Brown struggle at times, but he was also put in situations where he had to cover a lot of ground and hold his position for a long time on broken plays. He doesn’t have the athleticism to contain a pass rusher like Jordan for an extended period of time. I doubt Hurst could either. Bozeman really seemed to fight it out yesterday. If it is severe calf strain he could be out for at least 4-6 weeks, so we either have to get Grasu up to speed or get Lewis and Hurst healthy.

6. Losing the game to the Bengals hurt us more than the Browns and Saints game. While the sky is far from falling, we have to get wins on the board in the close games. We can’t get into the playoffs with less than a 3-3 in the division, which leads us to get at least 2 wins in the AFC North which would put us at 6 wins, then we would have to find at least 3 more wins in games against opponents like the Panthers, Raiders, Falcons, Chiefs, Bucs, Chargers. That’s a pretty tough schedule to find 3 wins, and while we should be a team who could beat the Raiders and Bucs, we have to get a W against one of the other tough opponents.

7. I have seen some arguments and stats about how Flacco and the Ravens offense haven’t had a game winning drive since the 2016 jaguars. What exactly constitutes a “game winning drive”? There have been several last minute drives the past two seasons, where the offense scored within the final 1-2 minutes, only to see the defense give up ground for another score. It seems somewhat unfair to say the offense is unable to produce game winning drives when they have 30 seconds or less on the clock.

8. Playmakers – we need them. I have had the pleasure of watching a lot of red zone and full games the last two weeks. One thing that stands out is how other teams have playmakers we just don’t have or have had for a long time. John Brown is the closest thing we have to a playmaker and he can go deep and catch the ball. Other teams however have players where short passing plays or running plays go for 50-60-70 yard TD’s. That ability to get easy points on the board is something that could really really help us instead of having to produce long drives every single time.

9. Our defense is notably better, I am certain of it. We don’t have the interceptions or red zone turnovers we had last season, but we also face much more talented quarterbacks. Those momentum swings on defense where we convert a red zone trip to get points on the board ourselves would really help us in the division and tough AFC S/AFC W games.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

2.  I don’t know if it is an attempt to play controlled and mistake free football, but it doesn’t work. We lose momentum and put our defense in bad situations. gh AFC S/AFC W games.

i believe its the JH way, preventive football whenever this team opens the 2nd half with a lead. or more often than not. and its not acceptable nor reasonable in todays NFL, need to keep the pedal to the metal and build on your lead, not play to run down the clock. i hated this mindset for years bit it is what it is. he ain't gonna change.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

5. The oline shuffle hurt us less than I would have anticipated.

it is a testament to the work of D'Allessandris to field capable units every week even when down 2 starters. good job, run blocking aside. Bravo to both rookies who did have nice debuts from the looks of it.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

8. Playmakers – we need them.

lets find the new Ray Rice, a dual threat to compliment LJ and the WR corps.

now, can someone please explain to me why they keep Flacco in to line up at "WR" when LJ comes in, when all Flacco does is stand still and watch? wouldn't it be wise to get somebody else in who could run a route, block for somebody or do anything than just stand and watch? i just don't get it. isn't it just a wasted slot when really nobody on the defensive side has to even account for Flacco? what am i missing?

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

i believe its the JH way, preventive football whenever this team opens the 2nd half with a lead. or more often than not. and its not acceptable nor reasonable in todays NFL, need to keep the pedal to the metal and build on your lead, not play to run down the clock. i hated this mindset for years bit it is what it is. he ain't gonna change.

it is a testament to the work of D'Allessandris to field capable units every week even when down 2 starters. good job, run blocking aside. Bravo to both rookies who did have nice debuts from the looks of it.

lets find the new Ray Rice, a dual threat to compliment LJ and the WR corps.

now, can someone please explain to me why they keep Flacco in to line up at "WR" when LJ comes in, when all Flacco does is stand still and watch? wouldn't it be wise to get somebody else in who could run a route, block for somebody or do anything than just stand and watch? i just don't get it. isn't it just a wasted slot when really nobody on the defensive side has to even account for Flacco? what am i missing?

brees does the same thing when the saints version of jackson is in the game. 

I assume because one day they'll (the regular starting QB) actually have a pass thrown their way and if opposition teams feel that they are a non-entity on such plays, there's a better chance that the regular QB will be wide open to catch it

The only time I was actually angry in this game was when we had 2nd and 1 and didn't get a first down. We just get too cute with our playcalling at times. The defense not being able to get off the field was also frustrating.

Also, if we are going to suck this much at running the football, why is Boyle playing so many snaps. Need to have one of Andrews/Hurst on the field at all times.

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

The only time I was actually angry in this game was when we had 2nd and 1 and didn't get a first down. We just get too cute with our playcalling at times. The defense not being able to get off the field was also frustrating.

Also, if we are going to suck this much at running the football, why is Boyle playing so many snaps. Need to have one of Andrews/Hurst on the field at all times.

I was getting frustrated at how many times I saw our dudes initially stop a Saints player 5 yards short of a first down, only to see us let him get 4 more yards to force a 3rd or 4th and short. Getting off the field on 4th down is almost impossible against a team like the Saints where they just need 1 or 2 yards with the vast amount of plays they can run. T

I also agree with your take on the run game. We might as well just use 11 personnel all game long since we're not using Ricard anymore and any time we put Boyle + Maxx into the game we basically force ourselves to either run the ball (for no yards or a loss) or throw the ball to two guys who make Anquan Boldin look like Tyreek Hill.

The Rams and the Chiefs are giving everyone the blueprint on how to be successful in this league with a mobile QB and without one - it's up to other teams to emulate those things. It seems Marty and other "old school" guys want to just stack the box and run into 8 man boxes, which is why I don't understand how our run game went from so creative last year to so bad at everything this year. Maybe it's Greg Roman? Did he just start outsmarting himself this offseason?

Archived