2017 Special Teams Watch

vike daddy

On Thursday, Forbath had an extra point blocked and a 53-yard field goal blocked. However, head coach Mike Zimmer didn’t put the blame on Forbath for those mistakes.

“The one we dropped the snap. The other one, they probably did something they shouldn’t have done,” Zimmer said, referring to the Lions’ A'Shawn Robinson and Jeremiah Ledbetter crashing into long snapper Kevin McDermott. Ledbetter threw his forearm into the crown of McDermott’s helmet and Robinson came through the gap on the left side of McDermott to block the extra point following the Vikings’ first touchdown. In addition, Joe Berger, blocking on the left outside of the line, had his helmet ripped off by Tahir Whitehead on that extra point try.

“Can’t hit him in the head and neck,” Zimmer said of the long snapper on field goal and point-after tries.

Asked if there was frustration with the kicking game after Forbath has been unsuccessful on five extra points and now four field goals, Zimmer didn’t put the blame on the kicker this time.

“I don’t think it was really the kicker. We didn’t really give him an opportunity. The one [field goal blocked] we didn’t get the ball caught and put on the ground good enough and the other one got blocked,” Zimmer said. “So I don’t think it was really him.”

But Zimmer wasn’t pleased with the special teams overall.

“We had a couple poor punts, a couple good punts. We didn’t cover very well – well enough anyway,” he said. “I think just in general we’ve got to be better on special teams.”

Zimmer said special teams will be a point of emphasis in their upcoming week of practice.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-coach-Mike-Zimmer-Blocked-kicks-werent-Kai-Forbaths-fault-110981416

Yeah the special teams were BAAAAD Thursday.

And by God....we need to look for a kick returner in the draft. I know they're not as important the last few seasons in the NFL but it's always nice to have a threat back there that can score at anytime or at least get a return back to the 40-50 on occasion and get a spark going.

Watching Shereles return kicks is like watching molasses flow up hill in December.

41 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why? elaborate your thinking....

Oakland may not find him worth the contract they signed him to. Patterson hasn't done much for them outside of returning kicks. They were probably hoping that he would be at least a tolerable WR. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t count out the idea of Patterson returning to Minnesota. 

I was coming here to ask this question: if he becomes available, do you think we'd make a play for him? His return skills are undeniable, he showed up as very good gunner in the punt game in his last season with us, and he seemed like a okay receiver towards the end as well. He could easily replace the spot/play of Floyd next year, and probably be cheaper.

2 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I was coming here to ask this question: if he becomes available, do you think we'd make a play for him? His return skills are undeniable, he showed up as very good gunner in the punt game in his last season with us, and he seemed like a okay receiver towards the end as well. He could easily replace the spot/play of Floyd next year, and probably be cheaper.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. However, he's still going to command a salary similar or more than Jarius Wright's at this point. Patterson is an elite special teams performer. Perhaps the best in the game, all around. That certainly has value. If you were to ask me if he's more valuable than Wright at the same price, I'd say "absolutely." But if you asked if the Vikings want to pay that much for a special teams player, I have no idea.  He isn't coming here on a minimum contract.

I think that the Vikings should have tried him at Running Back last season after it became apparent that Asiata and McKinnon weren't doing much. CP is one of the most elusive players I've ever seen in the open field. I think he'd stand a shot as a one cut and go RB. 

Of course I'll bring back Patterson at close to Wright's contract price of available. Our return units have done basically nothing this year.

I think that McKinnon is not retained either, it will be Cook & Murray and of love CP getting RB snaps. He could do good things in this offense.

All hypothetical, do we think Oakland is going to cut him?

8 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Do we want him back?

Why not? They tried to bring him back last year, and I’m guessing it wasn’t to be much of a receiver. 

You could potentially treat Patterson the same way we’ve treated Sherels for years, as a pure special teams player. 

So all aboard the Patterson Train?

I couldn't agree more I want him back for Kick Returning. Never wanted him to leave.

But I am sick of the gimmick offense with him. Seems like last year when we tried to force him the ball with a hand-off or a screen it turned out to be drive killers.

If we honestly were to make an attempt to make him a RB and basically turn him into what McKinnon is doing this year, than fine, he probably does about the same, maybe break a few more big plays, but I just don't see this happening.

One issue why I don't see him coming back is it really seems like the Vikings are moving on from trying to pay players for special teams that don't impact the offense and defense. Only way Patterson would come back is if he could come back as a PR also.

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why not? They tried to bring him back last year, and I’m guessing it wasn’t to be much of a receiver. 

You could potentially treat Patterson the same way we’ve treated Sherels for years, as a pure special teams player. 

The only reason why not would be price. I agree that he should be treated the same as Sherels. Purely a special teams player. Only plays offense in the case of a in-game injury pinch.

The question then really is, how much would you be willing to pay for this? I would say no more than $2.5M per year.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I couldn't agree more I want him back for Kick Returning. Never wanted him to leave.

But I am sick of the gimmick offense with him. Seems like last year when we tried to force him the ball with a hand-off or a screen it turned out to be drive killers.

So much that ^

Many fans blamed Shurmur for not being able to get more out of Patterson on offense. Some went as far as to suggest we should change the offense to use him more. The fact is, Patterson isn't very good on offense. It the team was to sign him we would see more asinine arguments about how we could improve the offense by running it through Patterson.

Of course, I wouldn't let the fact that some Internet fans would be pushing for this stop me from signing him to return kicks if he was willing to come back to the team for that job.

Archived