2017 Special Teams Watch

vike daddy

Just now, Heimdallr said:

They are hoping he will be back for the playoffs.

What is Loeffler up to? Or do we just roll with Morgan? He did ok with no practice 

The way he was holding it I thought it was broken. 

If it's just for the bears game they can probably just go with Morgan but it wouldn't hurt to bring someone else in in case he can't go. Maybe they use Easton's spot on a long snapper

29 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

This was my first thought..

2 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Maybe we should give Jared Allen a call....

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

What is Loeffler up to?

Can't just bring a guy into LS just because he was good at it sometime previously. Let Trey Junkin be the cautionary tale that spares us all. Junkin was one of the best LSs of all time. That didn't matter when he was brought in after retirement for a team in the playoffs with Superbowl aspirations.

Bring in a caravan of LSs. Try them out. Run them through the paces. I don't care what they have done previously. Find out what they can do for us right now.

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Can't just bring a guy into LS just because he was good at it sometime previously. Let Trey Junkin be the cautionary tale that spares us all. Junkin was one of the best LSs of all time. That didn't matter when he was brought in after retirement for a team in the playoffs with Superbowl aspirations.

Bring in a caravan of LSs. Try them out. Run them through the paces. I don't care what they have done previously. Find out what they can do for us right now.

The Allen bit was more in jest, and Loeffler comment was more due to recency. If we bring in a LS to fill the gap, I kind of doubt they would have any issues, seeing as it I saw a niche position that can be completed with relative ease (as seen last night when performed by Morgan).

Ryan Quigley had zero touchbacks on his 71 punt attempts in 2017, which tied an NFL record set by Sav Rocca in 2013. In Quigley’s first season with Minnesota, he tied for 10th with 29 punts that ended up inside the 20-yard line.

Kai Forbath nailed six field goals of 50-plus yards in 2017, which tied for the second-most in a season in team history with Ryan Longwell (2008) and Blair Walsh (2015). Forbath was 6-for-9 on such kicks this season. Forbath also made six field goals in one game, including two from 50-plus, against Baltimore.

Marcus Sherels averaged 9.5 yards per punt return, the seventh-best mark in the league. The Minnesota native has averaged at least nine yards per return in six of his seven seasons in the NFL, and is the Vikings all-time leader with five punt returns for touchdowns.

Vikings rookie linebacker Ben Gedeon led Minnesota with 18 total tackles on special teams (according to coaches’ tally). The fourth-round pick out of Michigan was also a starter in Minnesota’s base defense.

For the first time in three seasons, Minnesota did not have a kickoff or punt return for a score. The Vikings had six total returns for touchdowns in 2015 and 2016.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5-Vikings-Special-Teams-Numbers-of-Note-Gedeon-Led-Team-in-ST-Tackles/d32bbe4e-5fe6-4ae8-84b4-24a7c9bc3c7d?sf178386839=1

David Morgan:  "This year in OTAs, we didn’t have a backup long snapper. Last year, we had Chad Greenway, Zach Line and Audie Cole, who could all long snap or at least had some experience. Obviously, all three of those guys were gone this year. Prief said to me, ‘Hey, have you ever deep snapped?’ I told him I hadn’t, but he said, ‘You’re going to be our backup this year, so start practicing.’ I practiced throughout the summer. In the end, Blake Bell was the guy and I thought that was that. But, when Blake got hurt, Coach Prief told me I was the guy again, even though I hadn’t practiced all year. Nick Easton had done some snapping, but he was down, too. I had two weeks to practice and then the McDermott situation happened and I had to go in there and get it done.”

Morgan not only was pressed into duty, he came through with flying colors – snapping perfectly on three punts and two second-half field goals to help the Vikings lock down a 16-0 win over the Packers.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-find-plenty-of-uses-for-tight-end-David-Morgan-113225515

Lost for the season against the Packers was long snapper Kevin McDermott, who suffered a dislocated left shoulder. McDermott, who originally had hoped to avoid an operation, underwent surgery Monday.

“Surgery was a success and I’m on the mend,” McDermott wrote on Twitter.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/08/mike-zimmer-says-vikings-will-take-our-time-with-sam-bradfords-recovery/

• 1 month later...

Archived