Week 7 GDT - Titans @? Chargers

dtait93

28 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

I still can't believe LaFleur called a simple pass play at the 1 yard line

There’s just so many things wrong with it. First, I’m pretty sure Marcus has the ability to audible to a sneak when he sees the massive hole over the right guard.

But the play was just so bad. I’m going to ignore everything else about it for a second and focus on Taylor being the primary target. Taylor, who has shown a pretty limited catch radius, running along the back of the endzone. 

If that isn’t the kind of play that you spent a top five pick on Corey Davis for I don’t even know what the point is. At the very least, run your athletic, 6-4 receiver there and give Mariota a chance. An actual window where, if he needs to throw high to clear the line, there’s still a chance that he can go up and come down with it.

And then you add in the fact that everything about that play is designed to be run between the 5-10, where the receiver has a chance to get behind the linebackers, and we ran it from the 1 with the defense as bunched together as possible, and I’m just entirely lost.

14 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What’s worse: LaFleur calling the play or Vrabel giving it the ok?

With no TO's left... did he really have time to veto the call?  Is that really the HC's call? 

It's definitely his call to go for it... may be his call to say run or pass... but I doubt he completely micromanages and takes full control there.

The Lions were being ridiculed for running Blount on a 2 point coversion as well.  It's the life of anyone in the public eye... damned if you do, damned if you don't

I don't like the call either... I definitely woulda put the ball in Mariota's hands with an RPO... get him outside the pocket, give him a chance to dissect things... that's what he is, that's what he does.  And we take it away from it at the end.  Of course, he should be able to audible as well... it'd be interesting to know if he has that kinda leeway in that situation. 

15 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

With no TO's left... did he really have time to veto the call?  Is that really the HC's call? 

It's definitely his call to go for it... may be his call to say run or pass... but I doubt he completely micromanages and takes full control there.

The Lions were being ridiculed for running Blount on a 2 point coversion as well.  It's the life of anyone in the public eye... damned if you do, damned if you don't

I don't like the call either... I definitely woulda put the ball in Mariota's hands with an RPO... get him outside the pocket, give him a chance to dissect things... that's what he is, that's what he does.  And we take it away from it at the end.  Of course, he should be able to audible as well... it'd be interesting to know if he has that kinda leeway in that situation. 

I don’t think we’ll ever know. All depends on when he called the play in, but off the heels of a penalty there was also more time than normal.

49 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Yeah, if we hit the pass, we are celebrating the "VraBALLs." 

I still think a lot of us would have said that was a risky call.  Given the defensive front, it just seem to me the higher percentage of success was some type of run/sneak over the OG. 
When it comes down to it, that is life in the NFL, be second guessed. We are still in good position for a positive season. Just would have been nice to have that one. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, if we hit the pass, we are celebrating the "VraBALLs." 

I still think a lot of us would have said that was a risky call.  Given the defensive front, it just seem to me the higher percentage of success was some type of run/sneak over the OG. 
When it comes down to it, that is life in the NFL, be second guessed. We are still in good position for a positive season. Just would have been nice to have that one. 

That VraBalls week was a fun week.  Historically, I've been a pretty even keeled type of fan.  I've been more manic this year... guess that's what expectations does to a fan who's followed the franchise since the 80's. 

Even though it seems all I'm doing is complaining about the receivers, the lack of attempts of upgrading receivers, and everything else receiver related... this has been a fun season (last week excluded).  I knew we were coming back this game.... even down 17-6, knew it when I saw Mariota throw that block for Lewis.  Crazy for a guy that's so quiet, our team completely feeds off of him in those type of situations.  Once I see that part of his personality come out... I know he can line up across from anyone and go toe to toe.

Anyway, so we went for it, didn't get... but it was a fun game.  I enjoyed it.  Yes, I would have preferred an RPO/boot kinda play... yes I wish we'd do something/anything about our weapons in the pass game.  I'm going to complain about JRob and Sharpe weekly for sure 9_9, probably everyone else from time to time.  But I'm enjoying this team... I'm enjoying this season.

But JRob just better get his freaking shtuff together and treat our WR group like he's treated the CB group the past couple seasons... !!!!! >:(9_9O.o:D

I love the fact Vrabel have balls i would’ve went for it myself, who’s to say we tie the game, send it to OT & the Chargers win the toss, 1st drive score a TD, or we win the toss only get a FG & the Chargers get the ball then score a TD. I’m a believer in what my head football coach use to preach & that was if we handle our business on the field, we control our destiny. Okay with that said we control at the Goal line going for 2 our destiny. It’s the play call I have a problem with. Should’ve ran the ball or run pass option play.

the absence of fades to davis in the red zone in general is baffling to me. you spent a top 5 pick on a big, strong receiver. let him go up and get it.

i guess i don't know if defenses are consistently doubling him in that situation, but honestly....why? lol

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the absence of fades to davis in the red zone in general is baffling to me. you spent a top 5 pick on a big, strong receiver. let him go up and get it.

i guess i don't know if defenses are consistently doubling him in that situation, but honestly....why? lol

I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing.. we have a big 6’4 WR who has shown he can go up and get it. I don’t understand why we never do fades. Makes zero sense.

Davis isn’t as big as you guys are making him out to be. He’s 6’2 not 6’4. But yes I would like to see what he could do on a fade with the game on the line. He came through against Philly in a similar situation and play.

Archived