Week 7 GDT - Titans @? Chargers

dtait93

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

In 16 it was 8th in pass blocking efficiency, in 2017 it was 3rd, this year it's sitting at 16th right now, but largely because of the Baltimore game. Before the Baltimore game they were 8th in the league, so I imagine as the year goes on and things even out, it'll settle back in to that 3 to 8 range again.

If you want to base it off of PFF rankings go for it. but the eye test doesn't back that.

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

If you want to base it off of PFF rankings go for it. but the eye test doesn't back that.

It's not a PFF grade or ranking. It's just a statistic.(hurries, hits and sacks/overall pressures, with sacks being weighted heavier than the other stats and the number of pass plays). To show an example, here's what last season's looked like:

5Xp8u7y.png

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

It's not a PFF grade or ranking. It's just a statistic.(hurries, hits and sacks/overall pressures, with sacks being weighted heavier than the other stats and the number of pass plays). To show an example, here's what last season's looked like:

5Xp8u7y.png

That's not a statistic. That is PFFs rating. It even says in the title. They are weighing it based on what they find important. Phili, for example, has the exact amount of hurries we do on 43 more PR attempts, yet are below us because they have surrendered more sacks. As we saw in the Ravens game, that can be attributed to a number of things, and not just the OL. 

That said, pass-blocking isn't the reason we need to replace our iOL. The interior 3 have struggled for 2 years now in run-blocking. Also, our pass-blocking has looked much better than it should due to the constant use of 2 TEs over the last couple years, and how often at least one stays in to pass-protect.

As choc said, they don't pass the eyeball test right now. Kline looks to be the worst of all as he has been getting blown off the ball a lot.

Just now, TitanSS said:

That's not a statistic. That is PFFs rating. It even says in the title. They are weighing it based on what they find important. Phili, for example, has the exact amount of hurries we do on 43 more PR attempts, yet are below us because they have surrendered more sacks. As we saw in the Ravens game, that can be attributed to a number of things, and not just the OL. 

That said, pass-blocking isn't the reason we need to replace our iOL. The interior 3 have struggled for 2 years now in run-blocking. Also, our pass-blocking has looked much better than it should due to the constant use of 2 TEs over the last couple years, and how often at least one stays in to pass-protect.

As choc said, they don't pass the eyeball test right now. Kline looks to be the worst of all as he has been getting blown off the ball a lot.

If you dislike the weighing of the sacks you can literally just eliminate that and get the unweighted number yourself. It's not a rating. It's a statistic. Weighing a certain number in the statistics more than others doesn't stop it from being a statistic.

i don’t think y’all remember what a truly bad pass blocking line looks like, lol. we’ve been weaker this year than the past two, and sure, we could certainly stand to replace parts of the interior OL, but i don’t see it as an urgent rebuild project. i’m also reserving judgment on the OL until they’ve got more time in this system under their belt.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

If you dislike the weighing of the sacks you can literally just eliminate that and get the unweighted number yourself. It's not a rating. It's a statistic. Weighing a certain number in the statistics more than others doesn't stop it from being a statistic.

It literally does, it's exactly why they call it a rating. They have calculated a formula to weigh the stats. That is not a direct statistic.

The stats that comprise the weighted calculation are stats, but the result is not a direct statistic. 

But that's arguing over semantics, the point being, the iOL os bad. Even after the 2016 season I was calling to replace Kline and potentially Spain because you could tell it wasn't going to last. For the last two years even Jones has struggled.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i don’t think y’all remember what a truly bad pass blocking line looks like, lol. we’ve been weaker this year than the past two, and sure, we could certainly stand to replace parts of the interior OL, but i don’t see it as an urgent rebuild project. i’m also reserving judgment on the OL until they’ve got more time in this system under their belt.

If we were just talking about pass-blocking I would agree with you, but when you can't run the ball at all, something's gotta give.

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

If we were just talking about pass-blocking I would agree with you, but when you can't run the ball at all, something's gotta give.

we ran the ball pretty effectively last week for probably the first time all year. this is a system which is known to take time to transition to for the OL. like i said, i’m reserving judgment.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

It literally does, it's exactly why they call it a rating. They have calculated a formula to weigh the stats. That is not a direct statistic.

The stats that comprise the weighted calculation are stats, but the result is not a direct statistic. 

But that's arguing over semantics, the point being, the iOL os bad. Even after the 2016 season I was calling to replace Kline and potentially Spain because you could tell it wasn't going to last. For the last two years even Jones has struggled.

Yeah, it's extreme semantics. Just take the number of pressures allowed and total pass plays and get the % of it.

Looking at the top 3 there it changes to:

1. NO - 80.33

2. BUF -  78.3

3. TEN - 77.2

So the gaps barely change. Only in extreme cases where a large amount of the pressures are sacks does this really impact the gap in efficiency at all.

They not going to gut the interior line. But at most it's Jones and Spain being replaced. Just resigned Kline to a nice size deal last off season. Unless it's funny money, he should be here. 

So center and LG are the only spots I can legit see change. 

And I don't think you draft a center. I think you sign one. A rookie center to me isn't a good move. Rather than hope a 3rd round center can be a starter. 

I'd rather buy interior lineman. 

18 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Sadly, I doubt we see Kline go with the contract we just gave him. Hopefully we draft a mid round pick to replace him.l in a year

I guess I just have no faith in rookie lineman. I just don't like the odds of having a rookie interior lineman drafted in the 3rd or 4th round being a capable NFL starter as a rookie. 

Don't think we are getting rid of Kline either. I feel 100% certain that we aren't. 

My most realistic hope is a FA to replace Spain and we let Spain walk this year. The Rams have two OGs hitting FA this year, one starter in 2017 and 2018, one who was a starter last year and was replaced this year after he missed 3 games. Guys who have already had success in this blocking scheme.

Draft a player to challenge Kline and hopefully succeed him by 2020. Jones gets a chance to succeed with better players around him and may be replaced in 2020.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

My most realistic hope is a FA to replace Spain and we let Spain walk this year. The Rams have two OGs hitting FA this year, one starter in 2017 and 2018, one who was a starter last year and was replaced this year after he missed 3 games. Guys who have already had success in this blocking scheme.

Draft a player to challenge Kline and hopefully succeed him by 2020. Jones gets a chance to succeed woth better players around him and may be replaced in 2020.

This is the most realistic route. 

22 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yeah, it's extreme semantics. Just take the number of pressures allowed and total pass plays and get the % of it.

Looking at the top 3 there it changes to:

1. NO - 80.33

2. BUF -  78.3

3. TEN - 77.2

So the gaps barely change. Only in extreme cases where a large amount of the pressures are sacks does this really impact the gap in efficiency at all.

Call it extreme if you wish. I see a notable difference. 

But the idea behind that is you can do a number of things to increase your pass-blocking efficiency outside of improving your OL play. Leaving extra players in to block, having the QB get the ball out fast. Our OL was praised after the 2018 Texans game and they played like ****, especially the interior OL. Gabbert just didn't hold on to the ball over 2 seconds and that negates the pass rush.

If you continually watch a player get steamrolled but the QB gets rid of the ball quickly, that doesn't mean the OL did a good job just because it isn't recorded on paper.

I'll never find the source, but after the 2016 season someone posted a statistic that Jack Conklin had help from a TE on more pass-blocking plays than any other OT in the NFL. That's not on the iOL, but our pass-blocking success was in large part due to our emphasis on it, despite the fact that it removed a potential receiving option. Our OLs perception (and efficiency rating) was lifted by dedicating more players to pass-blocking. 

Archived