Jump to content
dtait93

Week 7 GDT - Titans @? Chargers

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

My most realistic hope is a FA to replace Spain and we let Spain walk this year. The Rams have two OGs hitting FA this year, one starter in 2017 and 2018, one who was a starter last year and was replaced this year after he missed 3 games. Guys who have already had success in this blocking scheme.

Draft a player to challenge Kline and hopefully succeed him by 2020. Jones gets a chance to succeed with better players around him and may be replaced in 2020.

Heck no jones has to go, I rather go wit levin at center than jones, the guy is trash, can’t get to the 2nd level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Heck no jones has to go, I rather go wit levin at center than jones, the guy is trash, can’t get to the 2nd level 

Levin is bad too so just replacing him for the sake of replacing him isn't a good solution. Have to find a viable replacement and I don't think replacing all 3 is a realistic solution. Maybe Spain/Jones if there's a good option.

Kline is by far the worst of the 3 in my opinion and he's also the least likely to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Call it extreme if you wish. I see a notable difference. 

But the idea behind that is you can do a number of things to increase your pass-blocking efficiency outside of improving your OL play. Leaving extra players in to block, having the QB get the ball out fast. Our OL was praised after the 2018 Texans game and they played like ****, especially the interior OL. Gabbert just didn't hold on to the ball over 2 seconds and that negates the pass rush.

If you continually watch a player get steamrolled but the QB gets rid of the ball quickly, that doesn't mean the OL did a good job just because it isn't recorded on paper.

I'll never find the source, but after the 2016 season someone posted a statistic that Jack Conklin had help from a TE on more pass-blocking plays than any other OT in the NFL. That's not on the iOL, but our pass-blocking success was in large part due to our emphasis on it, despite the fact that it removed a potential receiving option. Our OLs perception (and efficiency rating) was lifted by dedicating more players to pass-blocking. 

 

Except none of that extra blocker help has really existed this year and their production is still similar.

Every team can do things to help out their o-line, from the leaving extra blockers in, to roll outs, to predetermined reads like we used against Houston, so on and so forth. Any team that doesn't assist their o-line in one way or another is going to get their QB killed, because no matter how good your o-line is, pressures/hits/sacks are going to happen.

The point I'm making is the o-line has put up consistently good production for going on it's 3rd season with the same core 5. The point I'm making with that is it's unlikely to see sweeping changes to an o-line that consistently pass blocks well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Except none of that extra blocker help has really existed this year and their production is still similar.

Every team can do things to help out their o-line, from the leaving extra blockers in, to roll outs, to predetermined reads like we used against Houston, so on and so forth. Any team that doesn't assist their o-line in one way or another is going to get their QB killed, because no matter how good your o-line is, pressures/hits/sacks are going to happen.

The point I'm making is the o-line has put up consistently good production for going on it's 3rd season with the same core 5. The point I'm making with that is it's unlikely to see sweeping changes to an o-line that consistently pass blocks well.

Didn't you say they had went from 3rd, to 8th, to 16th? I understand you're going to use the Ravens game and the injuries to justify that, but either way, there has be a definitive drop in production. I would also say that the extra blocker help has existed this year, but I can't attest to how it compares to other teams. We're using as much 12 personnel as anyone so the opportunity is certainly there.

The biggest issue is the continual decline of our running game over the past 2 years. We won't leave our unit the same if they feel the iOL is the cause.

I wouldn't expect sweeping changes at all, but I would expect them to prepare to revamp the OL. Especially when you have an offense that is built off the run and play-action and you can't run the ball. I would expect to draft one and replace Spain immediately as he's the pending FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Didn't you say they had went from 3rd, to 8th, to 16th? I understand you're going to use the Ravens game and the injuries to justify that, but either way, there has be a definitive drop in production. I would also say that the extra blocker help has existed this year, but I can't attest to how it compares to other teams. We're using as much 12 personnel as anyone so the opportunity is certainly there.

The biggest issue is the continual decline of our running game over the past 2 years. We won't leave our unit the same if they feel the iOL is the cause.

I wouldn't expect sweeping changes at all, but I would expect them to prepare to revamp the OL. Especially when you have an offense that is built off the run and play-action and you can't run the ball. I would expect to draft one and replace Spain immediately as he's the pending FA.

8th in 16 to 3rd in 17 to 8th prior to the Ravens game, 16th after. I expect once everything evens out towards the end of the year them to be in that same range again. I mean it's possible they're not, but against the Chargers the pass blocking seemed to return much closer to normal(85.9 pbe in the chargers game, 87.9 in weeks 1-5, the PBE in the Ravens game was 75.0).

So looking at the week 1-5 number of 87.9, then the 2017 number of 87.1, to the 2016 number of 86.8, it's about as consistent as you can expect across the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×