Roster Building

Texas_OutLaw7

Will McLay deserves the lion share of the credit for the drafting. Granted people have to listen to the reports but being able to give the best prospects for the coaching staff to pick goes to show how well McLay understands on who to match where. 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Taco

And had we gone with fan favorite TJ Watt like everyone wanted we would have 2 crazy good pass rushers. How loud were we screaming for him in here and then it was announced Taco was the pick? Granted I was very happy it wasnt Charles Harris who I was terrified we were going to draft. But still. 

There’s no doubt that we’ve become one of the best drafting teams in the lead under Garrett. I don’t exactly what percentage of that should be allocated to him as opposed to McClay or Stephen, but certainly it’s coincided with his promotion.

However, it’s only resulted in two playoff appearances and one win. That just doesn’t cut it. It’s not as simple as “well he can draft but not coach” either, most of our rosters have been pretty flawed despite their talent. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that neglecting free agency and trades as legitimate avenues to roster construction has the left this team incomplete when compared to the best teams in the league.

Seeing as we’re finally set to have to have real cap room in the coming years, it’ll be interesting to see how we use it, because you can’t keep all of Dak, Zeke, Lawrence, Irving, Jaylon, Byron, Beasley, La’el, Maliek, Brown... while also improving your team. I think next year has to be the year we really go for it. I don’t really expect us to though.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

There’s no doubt that we’ve become one of the best drafting teams in the lead under Garrett. I don’t exactly what percentage of that should be allocated to him as opposed to McClay or Stephen, but certainly it’s coincided with his promotion.

However, it’s only resulted in two playoff appearances and one win. That just doesn’t cut it. It’s not as simple as “well he can draft but not coach” either, most of our rosters have been pretty flawed despite their talent. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that neglecting free agency and trades as legitimate avenues to roster construction has the left this team incomplete when compared to the best teams in the league.

Seeing as we’re finally set to have to have real cap room in the coming years, it’ll be interesting to see how we use it, because you can’t keep all of Dak, Zeke, Lawrence, Irving, Jaylon, Byron, Beasley, La’el, Maliek, Brown... while also improving your team. I think next year has to be the year we really go for it. I don’t really expect us to though.

If we sign Byron right now. We could save on alot of money. Same with Irving. Byron has 5 great games to go off of right now and Irving will be lucky if isnt living off a year to year contract because of all of his nonsense. La'el will not be massive neither will Maleik because of the injuries. Dak will have to deliver a SB to really warrant a 100M contract. Zeke and Jaylon are the only real high priced contracts we are looking at right now and thankfully neither are in the big positions of outrageous contracts QBs, DE, LTs. 

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

If we sign Byron right now. We could save on alot of money. Same with Irving. Byron has 5 great games to go off of right now and Irving will be lucky if isnt living off a year to year contract because of all of his nonsense. La'el will not be massive neither will Maleik because of the injuries. Dak will have to deliver a SB to really warrant a 100M contract. Zeke and Jaylon are the only real high priced contracts we are looking at right now and thankfully neither are in the big positions of outrageous contracts QBs, DE, LTs. 

I don’t really see us doing anything with Jones or Irving before we have to- they’re such bargains right now, and Byron only costs $6M next year. If La’el can prove to be a slightly above average right tackle in the next 26 games (which I think he already is), he’ll easily push for 8 figures annually. Good offensive lineman almost never reach free agency.

As it pertains to Dak... Kirk Cousins just signed for $28M/year without a single playoff win in 6 years in the league. Prescott’s agent will push for that and then some. And everything coming out of Jerry and Stephen’s mouths suggests we’ll give it to him.

DLaw = will be signed.

Byron = Proof it next year or we can franchise and draft/groom replacement. 

Zeke = franchise. RBs are usually suspect and decline quickly. 

Dak = He is not getting Kirk's money. Maybe Alex Smith. Otherwise I'll let him walk. 

Irving = he is a basket case. I don't think any team other than US take risk with him. And no long term contract. 

Archived