Week 7 MNF: New York Giants @ Atlanta Falcons

Acgott

3 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

What Does he do well besides be big?

Very good athlete, big arm, good throwing on the run, can adjust throwing angle, very smart, moves very well in the pocket and outside of it. That's what I've got so far, personally. He's an accurate Josh Allen who has played against high level competition and actually wins. That's where he sits as a prospect. 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, YogiBiz said:

He’s average. Don’t fall for the trap. 

I have heard repeatedly these kinds of comments over the last 4-5 yrs about QBs entering the draft. I was told Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were the best of what the draft had to offer and ppl said youd be out of ur mind to draft either one because they were either a product of the system or the level of competition they faced in college was horrid. I was told Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota would be full fledged stars from day 1 in the NFL. And now im told right off the bat Herbert is "average". Qb is the hardest position to grade out. The game is built around the QB. And we have one who is done. And yet dont take the top overall qb, as he stands now when Eli is showing hes all but finished. And then someone else mentions to draft a DT. Yep that'll work. You dont win at all in this NFL without a franchise QB. U have to take a chance on a QB, the draft is a crap shoot to begin with but QB is at the top of the priorities to win. The rest of this college season still has yet to play out but as of now id take Herbert anyday of the week if we have the oppurtunity. 

I think Herbert is the truth. But if it happens that he doesn't declare (highly, highly doubt this happens, even after recent reports) or he is taken before us, and the coaches don't like another QB that high, I'm ok with taking Bosa. We have a big need for pass rushers and Bosa is going to be a stud. Just don't force a QB, especially with a top-5 pick. That can really set you back. If you like one though, don't think twice.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, Kip Smithers said:

I do for a few reasons. One, he said Odell should be making more headlines on the field than if it and more playing than talking.  Well when your QB is gun shy and your o-line can’t block for 5-step and 7 step drops kinda hard for a dependent upon those things to do what you hope of him. Secondly he’s just being a hypocrite, because by saying what he said he’s making more headlines and takes attention from us being 1-5. 

I agree on the first part that Odell can't  make headlines on the field because of the o-line and the QB. But I agree totally with Mara that  Odell should not be making headlines off the field.  Odell should be a leader not a distraction, I don't believe a person can be both and be productive.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:23 PM, Giants4eva said:

I have heard repeatedly these kinds of comments over the last 4-5 yrs about QBs entering the draft. I was told Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were the best of what the draft had to offer and ppl said youd be out of ur mind to draft either one because they were either a product of the system or the level of competition they faced in college was horrid. I was told Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota would be full fledged stars from day 1 in the NFL. And now im told right off the bat Herbert is "average". Qb is the hardest position to grade out. The game is built around the QB. And we have one who is done. And yet dont take the top overall qb, as he stands now when Eli is showing hes all but finished. And then someone else mentions to draft a DT. Yep that'll work. You dont win at all in this NFL without a franchise QB. U have to take a chance on a QB, the draft is a crap shoot to begin with but QB is at the top of the priorities to win. The rest of this college season still has yet to play out but as of now id take Herbert anyday of the week if we have the oppurtunity. 

No, a lot of people who said those things about Goff were uninformed. I made a mistake on Wentz due to limited exposure, I just didn't see enough of him, so I didn't feel comfortable drafting him top 16. That was a mistake. And Winston has been throwing 4k yards since his rookie season, and Mariota has played pretty well with the Titans. I believe from what I have seen, that Herbert doesn't do any one thing especially well, so to me that defines "average".  

He has an inability to process defenses, and doesn't read through his progression. He's just big and athletic, while unteachable, it isn't rare. Doesn't make good decisions, and it isn't something you need a keen eye to observe, he forces the ball much too often, and takes sacks at bad times, and refuses to admit when to give up on a play and throw it away. I would also call his accuracy a wash. He's not particularly great here, but he isn't bad. 

I also asked a very serious question to point out what he does well. Don't run from the truth because you're tired of Eli. Good teams don't reach for QB's. Good teams add the best building blocks possible and work until they find their guy, except if your Cleveland it takes you two plus decades to find your guy. There's no need to force a quick rebuild, we need to build up this entire team.

Also let's not talk about Herbert like he's some elite athlete. He doesn't make people miss at high level, and he doesn't outrun speedsters at the second level. Also doesn't look strong enough to just bowl over an NFL defender. He also needs quite a bit to get up to full speed. Herbert is average, cause he doesn't have an elite trait besides being enormous. Even with his size, I still wouldn't call his arm a cannon either. Still a good arm, just not elite. 

It would be a waste to pick Herbert. 

Archived