The 2018 Playoff Hunt is on!

vike daddy

Buffalo beat us. Should the Vikings have won? Probably. But the Bills were the better team on the field from the opening snap to the final snap that day. Same can pretty much be said of the game against the Seahawks. 

But the Green Bay game was the Vikings’ for the taking. It’s the only game this year that’s come down to the last play of the game.

Best practice facility in the league, one of the best stadiums in the league, one of the most respected coaches in the league, the highest-paid quarterback in the league, hailing from one of the best states in the country ...

... And we have to settle for stumbling into the playoffs at 8-6-1 because the Panthers collapsed. It's enough to drive you to drink. (I'll settle for coffee though.)

53 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Best practice facility in the league, one of the best stadiums in the league, one of the most respected coaches in the league, the highest-paid quarterback in the league, hailing from one of the best states in the country ...

... And we have to settle for stumbling into the playoffs at 8-6-1 because the Panthers collapsed. It's enough to drive you to drink. (I'll settle for coffee though.)

Good thing is no one in the NFC looks unbeatable right now. Gurley knee injury, Saints havent looked stellar the past few weeks. Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, are all beatable too.

53 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Winning 3 games in a row wouldn't be stumbling into the playoffs

On 12/19/2018 at 3:18 PM, swede700 said:

It depends upon how you take his comment, Clark...the Vikings can easily beat the Bears, but the game itself wouldn't certainly be easy.  The Bears are certainly playing better together as a team, but the argument can be made that the Vikings are still far more talented than the Bears.  I'm not sure there can be disagreement there.  

Ummm what argument is there? Your starting wrs are better, the Bears wr corps is better overall.  The Bears have a MUCH better oline.  At best QB is a push, RB is probably a push.  Bears are better at TE.  Edge Rush is better for the Bears, interior DL Bears are better.  ILB favors Bears.  CBs favors Bears.  Safety favors Bears (when EJax is healthy) I dont see how the Vikings are even remotely close to being more talented.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ummm what argument is there? Your starting wrs are better, the Bears wr corps is better overall.  The Bears have a MUCH better oline.  At best QB is a push, RB is probably a push.  Bears are better at TE.  Edge Rush is better for the Bears, interior DL Bears are better.  ILB favors Bears.  CBs favors Bears.  Safety favors Bears (when EJax is healthy) I dont see how the Vikings are even remotely close to being more talented.

Vikings DL > bears DL

Vikings DB > Bears DB

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Sarcasm?

Cousins is pretty clearly better than Trubisky. I'm relatively high on Trubisky, but he's still a very inconsistent passer who's getting a lot of help from his coaches and supporting cast. 

The Vikings top 2 WRs are way better than the Bears. TE is a push. RB, the Bears are better but not by much. 

The Bears OL is a notch or two better than the Vikings, but a lot of their effectiveness comes down to coaching/scheme, and Trubisky makes them look good by scrambling. 

The Bears DL is better than the Vikings, but the difference isn't huge. 

LBs are a push.

The Vikings DBs are just as good as the Bears, would be better if Rhodes wasn't having a terrible year. 

Bears have been better this year thanks to coaching/scheme on offense, takeaways on defense, and a favorable schedule that saw them play all of their hardest games (Pats, Rams, Seahawks, Vikings) at home. Their road schedule has been candy:

• Packers (1 point L, Rodgers missed part of the game due to injury)
  • Cards (2 point W in what might be Bradford's last career start)
  • Dolphins (OT L vs Tannehill)
  • Bills (blowout W over Peterman)
  • Lions (7 point W on a short week, vs Stafford)
  • Giants (3 point L, Chase Daniel vs Eli)
  • Niners (5 point W over Mullens)

The Vikings will be the first team the Bears have played on the road with a winning record this year. The teams they've beaten on the road have 3, 4, 5 and 6 wins, and they've lost against teams with 5, 6 and 7 wins on the season so far. Contrast that to the Vikings, who've played 5 road games against teams with 8 or more wins. 

The Bears are a legitimate contender, especially if they end up with 2 or 3 home playoff games. I've been high on them all year (in our Bears thread, I predicted ahead of week one that they'd win 10 games and contend for the division). 

But they've had a charmed season, much as the Vikings did last year. Their talent level is very good, but it isn't head and shoulders ahead of the Vikings, or the other good teams in the NFC (the 6 teams in playoff position plus the Eagles). 

If the Vikings play well on Sunday, they'll win. But I won't like their chances in a rematch the following week at Soldier Field.  

5 hours ago, MattVikings said:

Vikings DL > bears DL

Vikings DB > Bears DB

You cant be serious about either of these.  Yeah Hunter is really good, close to Mack's level.  Theres still Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Floyd.  The DL depth for the Bears is just stupid.  DB wise Rhodes/Smith v Fuller/Ejax is a push.  Buuuuuuuut Amos is better than Sendejo and Prince is better than Waynes.

Amukamara isn’t better than Waynes. Amos isn’t better than Harris (Sendejo hasn’t played for a couple of months now). 

The advantage the Bears have in the defensive backfield is Fuller > Rhodes given that Rhodes is terrible this year. For their careers, Rhodes is the better player. 

Mack is even better than Hunter, that’s the main reason the Bears DL/edge is better than the Vikings. Joseph and Richardson are as good as Hicks and Goldman. Floyd isn’t as good as Griffen except for EG’s mental health issues this year.

Bilal Nichols and RRH are good but no better than Weatherly and Tom Johnson. The Vikings DL depth is better than you apparently understand. 

The Bears pre-Mack-trade were worse in the front 7 than the Vikings. After acquiring Mack, they’re better. But not by much. 

Archived