The 2018 Playoff Hunt is on!

vike daddy

On 10/23/2018 at 8:51 AM, swede700 said:

Despite being in last place, the Bears...

And one week later, they're back in first place.  Crazy year for our division.  Eight weeks into the season and last place Lions are still only one game out of first place.  Bears, Lions, and Vikings each have 5 divisional games left.  Packers have 3 (at Chi, at MN).

Looking forward to a wild finish.  One play could be the difference between going to the playoffs and going home.

Unfortunately, by destroying each other, we may not have a wild card team from the North.

Vikes sitting at #7 with games against the #4 Bears x2 and #6 Seahawks.

Hopefully we start peaking at the end of November, need to get by Detroit and be healthier coming out of the bye for the big Bears showdown. Any chance that gets flexed to Sunday night? Current matchup is PIT at JAX.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

Asking out of curiosity, but you do know these are the overall NFC standings and not the NFC playoff standings right?

yes, just sort of watching the teams at the top right now. letting fans know their division and conference records and such.

when we get to Week 10 or so i'll probably start posting the "if the playoffs started right now" standings.

NFC North champs
1. Minnesota Vikings (14 votes: Battista, Bergman, Brandt, Bush, Carr, Casserly, Chadiha, Harrison, Jeremiah, Schein, Shook, Sessler, Teope, Wayne)
2. Green Bay Packers (4 votes: Hanzus, Frelund, Jones, Trotter)
3. Chicago Bears (2 votes: Jones-Drew, Rank)

Why Judy Battista chose the Vikings: The Vikings and Bears are similarly balanced between offense and defense. But if you have to pick a quarterback to win a game, Kirk Cousins would be the pick over Mitch Trubisky, and it may come down to just that on the final Sunday of the regular season with the division on the line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000981836/article/2018-nfl-playoff-predictions-patriots-rams-chiefs-all-locks

Just looking at the back half of the schedule, we're going to be strong candidates to be flexed to primetime or the late window.

Looking specifically at Week 17 right now, if the North race stays as tight as it is right now. Our next game in Chicago could be a candidate as well.

Green Bay game is already slotted for primetime and Patriots game already in the late window, so not sure if those will change. 

Crazy stretch within the NFC North started today. Lots could change quickly with four in-division matchups over the next three weeks.

1. CHI 5-3-0 (vs. DET, vs. MIN, at DET)
2. MIN 5-3-1 (Bye, at CHI, vs. GB)
3. GB 3-4-1 (vs. MIA, at SEA, at MIN)
4. DET 3-5-0 (at CHI, vs. CAR, vs. CHI)

24 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Crazy stretch within the NFC North started today. Lots could change quickly with four in-division matchups over the next three weeks.

1. CHI 5-3-0 (vs. DET, vs. MIN, at DET)
2. MIN 5-3-1 (Bye, at CHI, vs. GB)
3. GB 3-4-1 (vs. MIA, at SEA, at MIN)
4. DET 3-5-0 (at CHI, vs. CAR, vs. CHI)

Damn Buffalo game!

On 10/30/2018 at 7:29 AM, VikeManDan said:

Vikes sitting at #7 with games against the #4 Bears x2 and #6 Seahawks.

Hopefully we start peaking at the end of November, need to get by Detroit and be healthier coming out of the bye for the big Bears showdown. Any chance that gets flexed to Sunday night? Current matchup is PIT at JAX.

I don't think they can change NBC's game to a different pair of teams coming from Fox's or CBS' contracted games, once the schedule is made up.  I think the nationally shown games can only come from those games within each individual network's contract (e.g. Fox's can move only within Fox's, and CBS' only within CBS' games).  And NBC and ABC/ESPN only have one game each week, so they can have no change.  Apparently, a game that needs to be shown and can't, for whatever reason, be shown on Fox or CBS, can be picked up by the other of those 2 networks, IF agreed upon (as a "favour").  I did see that CBS has picked up games with 2 NFC teams playing, a couple times.  I'd like to know why that happened.

31 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

I don't think they can change NBC's game to a different pair of teams coming from Fox's or CBS' contracted games, once the schedule is made up.  I think the nationally shown games can only come from those games within each individual network's contract (e.g. Fox's can move only within Fox's, and CBS' only within CBS' games).  And NBC and ABC/ESPN only have one game each week, so they can have no change.  Apparently, a game that needs to be shown and can't, for whatever reason, be shown on Fox or CBS, can be picked up by the other of those 2 networks, IF agreed upon (as a "favour").  I did see that CBS has picked up games with 2 NFC teams playing, a couple times.  I'd like to know why that happened.

Flex scheduling allows NBC to swap in practically any other Sunday game they want (Fox and CBS can each protect one game per week from their contracted games).

Here is what the league has to say about flex scheduling

http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

The league leaves out some details from their contracts. This is a good source of information:

http://sports.morganwick.com/nfl-flexible-scheduling-primer/

Each network can only protect five games from week 11 through 16 so for each network at least one of those weeks will not have a game protected. CBS and FOX had to submit their list of protected games after week five. 

If the league were to flex a game that week, Saints versus Eagles or Cowboys versus Atlanta may be other games the league would consider depending on which of the games were protected. Fox didn't protect both of those. The league seems to like putting the Cowboys into prime time slots.

We should know by the end of the day on Tuesday; that is the day by which a flex would need to be announced.

Archived