The 2018 Playoff Hunt is on!

vike daddy

Anyway, I was attempting to put a positive spin on the situation in my original post.

The Vikings have a good shot at going 3-1 over the last four games and making the playoffs. And they would not be prohibitive underdogs in the wildcard round.

But the Patriots game was a pretty good indicator of where this team is right now in terms of level of play.

14 minutes ago, milanb said:

But the Patriots game was a pretty good indicator of where this team is right now in terms of level of play.

Agreed.  They're just not good enough at this point to be a serious contender for the SB...but I didn't really expect them to be this year.  I always sort of thought that 2019 was going to be the better year...I thought that going with a young OC and a new QB was always going to hold them back a little...and it has sort of come to fruition.  But even then, I thought that the offense was going to be a little more consistent at this point in the season than it has.  

A loss against the Seattle Seahawks (7-5) on Monday night would bring any one of three teams sitting with 6-6 records – the Panthers, Eagles and Redskins – into one of the top six spots if they win this weekend. The Vikings will know before their Monday night game exactly where things stand. With the Bears facing the Rams Sunday night, the Vikings will know about 20 hours before their game if they can pull within a half game of the division lead or might potentially fall 2½ games back with three games to play at the conclusion of Week 14.

It’s a playoff atmosphere from here on out for the Vikings.

Danielle Hunter:  “Definitely. We’re in the running for one of those teams that’s trying to get a position. Each week from now on is definitely like that.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Vikings-playoff-hopes-It-comes-down-to-four-games-125996115/

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if we win our next four games (hey, i said IF) and the Bears lose to the Rams and us, and win their other two, where would things stand...?

We win the division at 10-5-1 over the 10-6 Bears

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

bwahahaha. something to play for, gents!

Yeah that's certainly doable. We have one really tough matchup before Week 17....this week. Win this game and we're in a great spot.

BTW it doesn't matter what games are won or lost before then. Even Week 17 doesn't really matter potentially. Over the next four weeks, if we win 2 more games than the Bears, we're division champs. If we win the next 3 and Chicago goes 0-fer (unlikely I know), our matchup in the last game means nothing because we're already division champs even if they win.

This game against the Seahawks could define our season.  So far, we haven't beaten a team with a winning record.  The Seahawks are only 7-5, so they haven't exactly been a juggernaut themselves.  I'm sure there will be people who disagree with me on this, but as far as I'm concerned, if we can't beat them, we don't really deserve to be in the playoffs. 

Having said that, I'm hopeful that we will get the W in Seattle, and then win out in the remaining 3 games after that to take the division. 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This game against the Seahawks could define our season.  So far, we haven't beaten a team with a winning record.  The Seahawks are only 7-5, so they haven't exactly been a juggernaut themselves.  I'm sure there will be people who disagree with me on this, but as far as I'm concerned, if we can't beat them, we don't really deserve to be in the playoffs. 

Having said that, I'm hopeful that we will get the W in Seattle, and then win out in the remaining 3 games after that to take the division. 

I agree, at this stage in the year you should be playing well and gaining momentum. If we can't beat Seattle, this isn't going to be a competitive team in the playoffs.

seattle started the year slow but they are red hot right now so I'd argue they are better than their record indicates.

Obviously the Vikes need to take care of the Dolphins on Sunday.

Who do we want to win the GB-CHI matchup?

On one hand if CHI wins they clinch the NFCN but they also eliminate GB.

If GB wins they keep their playoff hopes alive and keeps the division in play for us.

Additionally I can't see the Eagles (Rams) or Panthers (Saints) winning. The Redskins (Jaguars) is a toss up to me. All 3 of those teams losing would be huge for us.

I'm kind of hoping that GB can pull off the W.

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Obviously the Vikes need to take care of the Dolphins on Sunday.

Who do we want to win the GB-CHI matchup?

On one hand if CHI wins they clinch the NFCN but they also eliminate GB.

If GB wins they keep their playoff hopes alive and keeps the division in play for us.

Additionally I can't see the Eagles (Rams) or Panthers (Saints) winning. The Redskins (Jaguars) is a toss up to me. All 3 of those teams losing would be huge for us.

I'm kind of hoping that GB can pull off the W.

Green Bay making the playoffs would require them to win out (Chicago, Jets, Detroit.) Vikings would have to lose to 2 of the next 3.

For the Vikings to get the division, they need to win out and Chicago needs to lose out (GB, SF, Vikes)

16 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Green Bay making the playoffs would require them to win out (Chicago, Jets, Detroit.) Vikings would have to lose to 2 of the next 3.

For the Vikings to get the division, they need to win out and Chicago needs to lose out (GB, SF, Vikes)

Thanks, I understand the scenarios. 

I'm wondering what other fans think. Me personally, as long as the division is in play, no matter how long of a shot it is, I'll cheer for those scenarios to play out.

NFC Week 15 Clinching Scenarios

New Orleans Saints -The Saints can clinch a first-round bye with a win and a Bears loss or tie. Tying while the Bears lose would also work.               

Los Angeles Rams - If Los Angeles can win while Chicago loses or ties, or even if it ties while Chicago loses, it would lock up a first-round bye.

Chicago Bears - The Bears have three options to win the NFC North: win, have the Vikings lose or both teams tie. A playoff berth would head Chicago's way with either a tie or a Washington loss or tie.            

Dallas Cowboys - The easiest route for the Cowboys to clinch the NFC East would be winning on Sunday. Otherwise, it will take a tie coupled with both an Eagles loss or tie or a Redskins loss or tie. Or if both Philadelphia and Washington lose, Dallas would have the division handed to it.           

Seattle Seahawks - The Seahawks will be in the playoffs if they win on Sunday. Their other three playoff paths for this weekend are a bit more complicated:

• Seahawks tie, Vikings lose, Panthers lose or tie
  • Seahawks tie, Vikings lose, Eagles lose or tie, Redskins lose or tie
  • Seahawks tie, Panthers lose or tie, Eagles lose or tie, Redskins lose or tie

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810523-nfl-playoff-picture-week-15-full-afc-nfc-outlook-and-predictions

Archived