GDT: Denver Broncos @ Arizona Cardinals

iLikeDefense

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Rosen flashed plenty in his starts before this one. He's going to be good. Terrible game though.

Telling stat - rookie QB’s are 4-12 on a short week with TNF.  The rookie year is a learning year but then give them only 3 days to prep and it often goes badly.  

Having said that they need to upgrade the OL for his long term ceiling to be realized.   G Pugh and C AJ Cole are 2 guys to keep.  Everyone else needs to be upgraded there.  But yes the talent is there.   Just when you are on a bad OC and bad OL you are going to put up stinkers esp in the rookie year.  

At least they will be replacing OC McCoy shortly.  That was one brutal decision - the problem when you aren’t seen as a prime destination (remember IND and ARI HC’s were the last to be hired).  

Von's personality, leadership, and play are all 10/10. We are lucky to have him - it seems like "generational talent" is praised in every draft class (which literally makes no sense), but he truly is one.

What a fun game to watch though, I know a lot of us are thinking about the 2019 draft but if you can't get excited for what we saw last night then you're crazy. 

Oh and btw, the Front Office knows how bad Arizona is - I do not think a blowout win against a horrible team will lead to any false expectations moving forward. They are who we thought they were.

Well, we probably helped ARI out too - that game got OC McCoy fired.  May he never run a NFL O ever again.

That probably helps DJ and ARI WR fantasy owners out about 100-fold.   Too bad it got Seals-Jones killed, and nearly Rosen in the process.  o.O

22 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Oh and btw, the Front Office knows how bad Arizona is - I do not think a blowout win against a horrible team will lead to any false expectations moving forward. They are who we thought they were.

The only real consequence of the game is that Joseph probably survives to the end of the season - unless the Broncos suffer a major hammering against the chiefs and texans.

7 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The only real consequence of the game is that Joseph probably survives to the end of the season - unless the Broncos suffer a major hammering against the chiefs and texans.

That's not out of the realm of possibility.  I think Denver's best chance to beat KC was the first game.  Now Mahomes knows what to expect a little bit better going up against Von and crew.  Reid is going to have some wrinkles in, I'm not nearly as confident in Woods and Vance.

Houston - JJ Watt might kill Keenum.  I think Denver can keep this game close by neutralizing Hopkins somewhat, but I still see a L.

16 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

That's not out of the realm of possibility.  I think Denver's best chance to beat KC was the first game.  Now Mahomes knows what to expect a little bit better going up against Von and crew.  Reid is going to have some wrinkles in, I'm not nearly as confident in Woods and Vance.

Houston - JJ Watt might kill Keenum.  I think Denver can keep this game close by neutralizing Hopkins somewhat, but I still see a L.

If the Texans have Watson upright then it’s problematic for us (which is no guarantee since they face Jax this weekend). HOU has the worst OL even worse than ARI or us in pass pro - 70 pressures in 6 games (while the 2nd worst is at 45 - dear lord).   They also now have 2 decent WR’s in Keke Coutee in the slot and Will Fuller so it’s no longer Nuk or bust there.   JAX will likely hammer them at home but if their 3 WR are healthy and Watson’s still standing very different O we are facing then.

Unlike ARI the HOU  pass game is thriving despite horrific OL play.  So yeah it’s possible.    Re: @KC I agree Reid will be far more prepared for us now.  And that extra half-beat the OL loses in pass pro really matters at Arrowhead.  

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

On the flip side, I think there is an argument to be made their our defense has more experience against Mahomes,  which may help - although it is probably more of a test for Woods to create a gameplan to contain for 4Q which he was unable to do last game against KC. They are fired up right now, don't really have much of a reason to be unconfident going into this game. 

And yeah Watt will be a problem, we essentially just need Miller to be a bigger problem for Watson lol. Hopkins / Fuller are a talented 1 2 punch not to be taken lightly. 

Had a look at the game in condensed form this evening (it was on during the night for me and work calls) - things that jumped out at me.

I have to say Lindsey looks special - but why the hell was Joseph/Musgrave using him to pound the ball in the 4th qtr to run down the clock - that is why you have Freeman.

The OL seems more at sea by the week - after the new coaches seemed to have made progress in the first couple of weeks everything seems to have gone backwards since then,

And Keenum seems to be going from bad to worse - he threw a perfect pass to Peterson for the INT

Chubb has come along and is now doing damage - hopefully he keeps it up.

10 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Had a look at the game in condensed form this evening (it was on during the night for me and work calls) - things that jumped out at me.

I have to say Lindsey looks special - but why the hell was Joseph/Musgrave using him to pound the ball in the 4th qtr to run down the clock - that is why you have Freeman.

The OL seems more at sea by the week - after the new coaches seemed to have made progress in the first couple of weeks everything seems to have gone backwards since then,

And Keenum seems to be going from bad to worse - he threw a perfect pass to Peterson for the INT

Chubb has come along and is now doing damage - hopefully he keeps it up.

Re: Lindsay 4Q Freeman sprained his ankle. Given that I think the staff gets a pass.  Kinda.  I agree Booker could have been better to keep Lindsay safe in a meaningless 4Q.   

But yeah the rest of our issues you highlighted on O are still there.  Just got masked by game script and a truly awful team.   We will certainly get a better test @KC and vs. HOU. 

Archived