Week 7 GDT: Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, John232 said:

I can understand playing Thomas at end on Base downs, on the Weakside. That makes sense on some level. What I think is perplexing to everyone is drafting a guy third whose had success inside (at least in college), gained the weight to play inside,  but seemingly..never plays...period..much less inside. 

+1. Would like us to use him like how Seattle used Michael Bennett. He was an end on base downs but he kicked it to the inside and was able to be a factor there as well.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:50 PM, N4L said:

Short week. I heard today that mcVay gave their team an extra day off (today) so maybe they just think they can walk in here and steam roll us. I also think that a lot of the game plan on offense was set in the offseason. Also the disrespect with getting this game flexed out... we should be fired up. 

Our young defense plays better at home. Not sure why, but that's the feeling I get. Will be nice to get off to a good start on that side of the ball, we have started slow then gotten better in the second half. We need to set the tone early. 

We will need to key on Gurley. Just put Ruben in man coverage on Gurley all day long. They don't use their TEs hardly at all. I would like to see some run blitzes on early downs and then some overload blitzes on passing downs. Force the third and long and force them to try to block Buckner 1 v 1. He cant handle the double team but feasts on just one lineman. 

They will tear apart our zone if we continue to have poor communication. We need to figure out how to mix in some man coverage or defenders need to be better in recognizing when a WR is going to enter their zone. Can we finally force a damn turnover? 

Kyle is averaging 30+ points against wade Phillips when they have been calling plays against each other. Can we limit the turnovers? We should be able to run the ball again this week. They are stout on the inside of their DL, but their LBs aren't great. No talib for them either, we should be able to move the ball. I expect kittle to have a MONSTER game. We need to continue to take shots to Goodwin down the field, especially early. Make their S back up then hit them with some timing routes underneath. 

Teams shy away from blitzing heavily against us because McVay is amazing with the screen game. We burned teams last year when they tried to blitz the heck out of us. Teams have been more conservative this year.

As for the run defense, I think people are running with a narrative that might not be so true. Our run defense has held the opposition to less than 100 yards rushing in 4 of our 6 games this year. We had a dreadful game against the Seahawks. I still can't really explain that one. Our best run defender, Michael Brockers, was absolutely terrible in that game. And we had a bad game against San Diego. We shut down arguably the best rushing attack in the NFL last week in the Broncos (IIRC, they were top 5 in rushing yards and #1 in YPC coming into the game). As for TEs, they haven't had much success against us since Barron returned, but we also haven't been truly tested. Kittle will probably have a good game because he's a very good to great TE, but I think we're not as weak there as many believe (based on a nationally televised Week 1 disaster when Barron was out).

Our big weakness is our #2 CB. Troy Hill is vulnerable to getting beat over the top. If you can get Goodwin on him, that's a matchup you can exploit. Sam Shields is much better in coverage, but he's a liability against the run.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Strange. You weren't this talkative before this year. I wonder why. 

Holy crap what a dumb condescending comment. 

No crap. I remember 5-7

years ago some niner fan ninerfan4life or something like that.

would make everyone take

sig bets regarding who won the west. 

For years I took that bet. And for years I knew we would never win. 

Now it’s my turn! Chin up. Chest out. Guns out. 

its time to flex on y’all who use to flex on the Harbougs days. Specially j. 

And last year was last year.

like that YouTube video.

YESTERDAY I DIDNT HAVE TIME 

BUT TODAY I GOTZ TIME. 

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Holy crap what a dumb condescending comment. 

No crap. I remember 5-7

years ago some niner fan ninerfan4life or something like that.

would make everyone take

sig bets regarding who won the west. 

For years I took that bet. And for years I knew we would never win. 

Now it’s my turn! Chin up. Chest out. Guns out. 

its time to flex on y’all who use to flex on the Harbougs days. Specially j. 

I don't know who you're talking about. And I don't care about sig bets. I'm talking about you essentially acting like a goon that only comes out of the ether when your team finally gets it's act together after years of ineptitude. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I don't know who you're talking about. And I don't care about sig bets. I'm talking about you essentially acting like a goon that only comes out of the ether when your team finally gets it's act together after years of ineptitude. 

Like I said above. No flex zone. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

You're a cancer to this forum, and the worst type of sports fan. 

Awwwww stay classy. When

it doubt go for low blows. With that im out good luck San Fran and stay healthy boys. 

Half the dudes in here know im only kidding. I’ve been super chill for ever. But that wasn’t nice to say and something I’ll never say. 

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Teams shy away from blitzing heavily against us because McVay is amazing with the screen game. We burned teams last year when they tried to blitz the heck out of us. Teams have been more conservative this year.

Perfect! You won't be expecting it and will have other plays called besides screens. We run zone blitzes. We will show blitz, Goff will audible to a screen, we will drop back and the screen will get swallowed up. Part of that will be guys who are supposed to blitz recognizing that it's actually a screen, and then adjusting. Our DL is pretty athletic and our LBs are playing good ball. If a guy like Buckner recognizes a screen to his side, he can clog throwing lanes and take the whole play down by himself with that 6'7" frame. 

We've gotten stung when teams throw the ball downfield. I think forcing the ball to come out more quickly will only be to our benefit. 

As long as gurley is accounted for at all times, I don't really see the screen game killing us. Tackling has been an issue but it has gotten significantly better in the past 2.5 weeks. Gurley is the key to the whole offense. We need to put a man or two on him at all times. Force the ball to go elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

As for the run defense, I think people are running with a narrative that might not be so true. Our run defense has held the opposition to less than 100 yards rushing in 4 of our 6 games this year. We had a dreadful game against the Seahawks. I still can't really explain that one. Our best run defender, Michael Brockers, was absolutely terrible in that game. And we had a bad game against San Diego. We shut down arguably the best rushing attack in the NFL last week in the Broncos (IIRC, they were top 5 in rushing yards and #1 in YPC coming into the game). As for TEs, they haven't had much success against us since Barron returned, but we also haven't been truly tested. Kittle will probably have a good game because he's a very good to great TE, but I think we're not as weak there as many believe (based on a nationally televised Week 1 disaster when Barron was out).

I think it's a bad matchup for your defense, schematically. The outside zone run leaves certain guys completely unblocked and is based on the speed to get the edge. We hook your OLB, chip your DE then get outside leverage on your inside linebacker on that side. The other linebacker is completely unblocked but is too far away to catch breida or mostert. Suh and Donald simply don't have the speed to chase down either of these runners, so it negates your biggest advantage.

When defenders try to get too far outside to get a head start, we will start cutting it back (and then blocking that other inside linebacker who was untouched before). It will have you on your heels from the jump. 

We started running inside tosses, looked like a toss to the outside but when the runner immediately turned up field and went through the A gap or looked for a cutback lane once he caught the ball. We used to run toss counters under harbaugh and this was a similar concept, it was a good wrinkle. 

The 3-4 will always have problems with this play because of the alignment of your DL and olb, you have 5 guys on the LOS, when we really only block 1 and chip 1, the rest get outran. We don't need to block the nose tackle, one inside linebacker, the DE or OLB on the other side because none of them will be able to catch our runner from behind. Even if the lb does he's already 5+ yards downfield

We've been gashing teams with it all season. Our biggest rushing games have come against 3-4 teams (DET, GB). I really wasn't a big fan of the outside zone run until the end of the last season, I have always been partial to a power blocking scheme, but it's really starting to make a ton of sense as the team is getting better at executing Kyle's offense. 

Everything else works off of the outside zone run. 

Barron is a good player, doesn't get talked about enough. I mainly think kittle has a good game because Kyle is just so good at drawing up plays where kittle/juszczyk get open. That's definitely something Kyle does better than mcvay, get the fullback the ball 20 yards downfield LOL 

The niners are a young team with young coaches who are still figuring things out. If we could stop turning the damn ball over we might actually win some damn games.

Realistically we should be 0-6 right now, with every loss except for KC ending on a turnover. I mean seriously how the F is it possible to have 14 turnovers in 6 games? Even if you take away the Cardinals game where we turned it over 5 times.. that's still almost 2 per game. -11 in turnover differential.. yeeeesshhh

We've turned it over more than anyone else and gotten less takeaways than any other team. 

You'll never guess who is #31 on that list but Jacksonville has 5 take aways (we have 3) and they have turned it over 14 times (which is tied with us for most). 

Anyways. Eat dirt this weekend. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Perfect! You won't be expecting it and will have other plays called besides screens. We run zone blitzes. We will show blitz, Goff will audible to a screen, we will drop back and the screen will get swallowed up. Part of that will be guys who are supposed to blitz recognizing that it's actually a screen, and then adjusting. Our DL is pretty athletic and our LBs are playing good ball. If a guy like Buckner recognizes a screen to his side, he can clog throwing lanes and take the whole play down by himself with that 6'7" frame. 

We've gotten stung when teams throw the ball downfield. I think forcing the ball to come out more quickly will only be to our benefit.

As long as gurley is accounted for at all times, I don't really see the screen game killing us. Tackling has been an issue but it has gotten significantly better in the past 2.5 weeks. Gurley is the key to the whole offense. We need to put a man or two on him at all times. Force the ball to go elsewhere. 

Showing blitz isn't enough to get us to screen. We start using the screen as a weapon when the opposing team is actually blitzing. McVay figures out their tendencies and times them up. And we don't just use screens. We'll find ways to sneak Gurley out of the backfield into space. IIRC, Goff has a passer rating of 100+ this year when blitzed and had a passer rating of 100+ last year when blitzed. Plus, Gurley is quite arguably the best pass protecting HB in the NFL. That also helps immensely with our blitz pickups. Accounting for Gurley in this scheme is easier said than done. And frankly, the idea that Gurley is the key to the offense is a bit antiquated. Gurley is our most valuable offensive player, but the teams who sold out to take him out of the game have been ripped apart by our passing attack this year.

I think it's a bad matchup for your defense, schematically. The outside zone run leaves certain guys completely unblocked and is based on the speed to get the edge. We hook your OLB, chip your DE then get outside leverage on your inside linebacker on that side. The other linebacker is completely unblocked but is too far away to catch breida or mostert. Suh and Donald simply don't have the speed to chase down either of these runners, so it negates your biggest advantage.

When defenders try to get too far outside to get a head start, we will start cutting it back (and then blocking that other inside linebacker who was untouched before). It will have you on your heels from the jump. 

We started running inside tosses, looked like a toss to the outside but when the runner immediately turned up field and went through the A gap or looked for a cutback lane once he caught the ball. We used to run toss counters under harbaugh and this was a similar concept, it was a good wrinkle. 

The 3-4 will always have problems with this play because of the alignment of your DL and olb, you have 5 guys on the LOS, when we really only block 1 and chip 1, the rest get outran. We don't need to block the nose tackle, one inside linebacker, the DE or OLB on the other side because none of them will be able to catch our runner from behind. Even if the lb does he's already 5+ yards downfield

We've been gashing teams with it all season. Our biggest rushing games have come against 3-4 teams (DET, GB). I really wasn't a big fan of the outside zone run until the end of the last season, I have always been partial to a power blocking scheme, but it's really starting to make a ton of sense as the team is getting better at executing Kyle's offense. 

Everything else works off of the outside zone run. 

The problem with the outside zone is our defense's speed is our strength. Seattle ran all over us by overpowering us at the POA. Donald is so quick into the backfield that he can blow up those off-tackle runs. And he is fast enough to run down your HB behind the LOS. You're running game might work, but I think you're underestimating our run defense. Donald is such a weapon against horizontal runs. The best play to neutralize him is to run away from him on plays that get to the LOS quickly. If Brockers and Suh have a bad day, you can run all over us because Donald can't get upfield quickly enough on every play to blow it up. That's not to say we'll shut you down. Our run defense is hit and miss. You may have a big day running the ball. But I think your scheme plays more into our defense's hands. But boy oh boy, I don't envy Beathard. He's got Person or Tomlinson trying to block Aaron Donald lol.

Barron is a good player, doesn't get talked about enough. I mainly think kittle has a good game because Kyle is just so good at drawing up plays where kittle/juszczyk get open. That's definitely something Kyle does better than mcvay, get the fullback the ball 20 yards downfield LOL 

The niners are a young team with young coaches who are still figuring things out. If we could stop turning the damn ball over we might actually win some damn games.

Realistically we should be 0-6 right now, with every loss except for KC ending on a turnover. I mean seriously how the F is it possible to have 14 turnovers in 6 games? Even if you take away the Cardinals game where we turned it over 5 times.. that's still almost 2 per game. -11 in turnover differential.. yeeeesshhh

We've turned it over more than anyone else and gotten less takeaways than any other team. 

You'll never guess who is #31 on that list but Jacksonville has 5 take aways (we have 3) and they have turned it over 14 times (which is tied with us for most). 

Anyways. Eat dirt this weekend. 

Our FB isn't much of a pass catcher. He isn't much of anything actually lol.(I don't think we have a FB) So I'll give you that one for sure. Well, no offense, but I hope you guys keep the negative turnover differential going this week. ;)

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Well, no offense, but I hope you guys keep the negative turnover differential going this week.

I'm so frustrated with the turnovers at this point, I almost feel like I'd be happier with a game we get blown out in but have no turnovers compared to a game we keep close but turn the ball over three times in again. It's very frustrating to watch all of the turnovers. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm so frustrated with the turnovers at this point, I almost feel like I'd be happier with a game we get blown out in but have no turnovers compared to a game we keep close but turn the ball over three times in again. It's very frustrating to watch all of the turnovers. 

I think we ran for almost 200 last week but those three turnovers were a killer.......

30 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think we ran for almost 200 last week but those three turnovers were a killer.......

And the turnovers against the Cardinals were killer, and though we may have still lost the chargers game, we kept that close so the turnovers certainly hurt

Archived