Week 7 GDT: Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

BTW, I'm guessing CJ just starts the rest of the year or until he gets hurt. I'm wondering, the more he plays, and probably stinks it up...will it be easier to just get rid of him? I think he'll still be around, but if he gets more time under center...maybe his exit will be expedited. Shanahan spent a third on him though. I don't see what the point in playing Mullens is. Some of the players sooner or later might want him to get a shot though. 

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, this is the big stretch. Personally, I think we end up winning two of the three. Won't complain if we fall in all three though lol

I feel fairly comfortable saying we'll beat the Raiders (which really is the one we need to lose the most since they'll also be desperate for Bosa) but the other two could go either way. Two wins is certainly a possibility. If it happens then we're really going to have to start paying close attention to the other bottom-feeders games.

The Raider on their part looks like they have two more winnable games on their schedule. Us and the Cards. Maybe they could pull out a division win against someone like the Broncos down the stretch but I wouldn't count on it. They also have a week 17 game against the Cheif who could be resting their starters but the same is true for us and the Rams so we can't count that as an advantage either. It'll be interesting to see who can out-suck each other either way. 

Went back and watched the entire game and thought our defense was okay for the most part. Eventually it got worn out which is expected but they held up fairly well. It's just when you give arguably the best defense in the league four or five short fields, what do you expect to happen? Our corners held up and got good safety play from Tartt/Colbert. But the lack of pass rush was once again the downfall of the defense.

Offensively, Bethard just doesn't have a good feel of the pressure and that leads to a lot of turnovers. He continues to step into sacks or attempts passes into traffic. 

Kittle is a beast, but I feel for Goodwin who just isn't a favorite target of Bethard's like he is of Jimmy G. I know last game Goodwin had a big game, but it's mainly a few targets here and there. 

Now we have four winnable games coming up. As big of a mess we are, the Raiders may be even worst and the Cardinals are the Cardinals. They just have a terrible offense and not sure that is going to change this year.....Well, they did change offensive coordinators so I guess there is a chance they turn it around a bit. Regardless, they still have a stout defense. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Went back and watched the entire game and thought our defense was okay for the most part. Eventually it got worn out which is expected but they held up fairly well. It's just when you give arguably the best defense in the league four or five short fields, what do you expect to happen? Our corners held up and got good safety play from Tartt/Colbert. But the lack of pass rush was once again the downfall of the defense.

Offensively, Bethard just doesn't have a good feel of the pressure and that leads to a lot of turnovers. He continues to step into sacks or attempts passes into traffic. 

Kittle is a beast, but I feel for Goodwin who just isn't a favorite target of Bethard's like he is of Jimmy G. I know last game Goodwin had a big game, but it's mainly a few targets here and there. 

Now we have four winnable games coming up. As big of a mess we are, the Raiders may be even worst and the Cardinals are the Cardinals. They just have a terrible offense and not sure that is going to change this year.....Well, they did change offensive coordinators so I guess there is a chance they turn it around a bit. Regardless, they still have a stout defense. 

I think the Cardinals defense is just going off talent right now. Cardinals fans are ticked that Wilks has basically changed everything in one offseason, and now the unit is playing a lot worse than last year with Arians' staff already in place. 

Warriors are the only hope this year. Here is the post game Shanahan presser: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcKeVhPhDA

Cohn with the second question, which was kind of leading. Kyle's response was fair. Another reporter asking if Mullens will get a chance. Swift nope. Apparently he's the best quarterback in the building. So that's that.

Some folks want Kyle fired already from what I've read on other 49ers forums. As the losses pile up, the noise will get louder I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Warriors are the only hope this year. Here is the post game Shanahan presser: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcKeVhPhDA

Cohn with the second question, which was kind of leading. Kyle's response was fair. Another reporter asking if Mullens will get a chance. Swift nope. Apparently he's the best quarterback in the building. So that's that.

Some folks want Kyle fired already from what I've read on other 49ers forums. As the losses pile up, the noise will get louder I'm afraid. 

Would be pretty stupid to fire Kyle imo.

52 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Would be pretty stupid to fire Kyle imo.

Agreed. Someone had an interesting take though:

When you remove Jimmy G, Shanahan is 1-16. I don't care WHO is in uniform that's a completely unacceptable record. Even very bad teams win once in a while. This team never can. It's fostering a loser mentality as well. He has no fire and is more concerned with scheme and his ego. He's an OC. Not a head coach. This is embarrassing. Tomsula got 5 wins with Devey, Pears, Gabbert, and a bunch of other clowns. 

No more excuses.

Not that I believe "having fire" is a prerequisite for being a good head coach. Overall, this is a pretty bad characterization of Shanahan, and this fan just seems ticked. Still, that record is pretty alarming even with the short sample size.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Not that I believe "having fire" is a prerequisite for being a good head coach. Overall, this is a pretty bad characterization of Shanahan, and this fan just seems ticked. Still, that record is pretty alarming even with the short sample size.

That's my biggest issue with Kyle right now. His w/l record without Jimmy. I understood we were gonna be challenged this yr before Jimmy injury...and was ok with the lost season after. But too many times this teams looks ill prepared and just looks lost out there. I'm not on the fire him bandwagon(yet) but I'm definitely leaning towards thinking we have the right QB but wrong HC. 

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That's my biggest issue with Kyle right now. His w/l record without Jimmy. I understood we were gonna be challenged this yr before Jimmy injury...and was ok with the lost season after. But too many times this teams looks ill prepared and just looks lost out there. I'm not on the fire him bandwagon(yet) but I'm definitely leaning towards thinking we have the right QB but wrong HC. 

7 minutes ago, sherm said:

I'm not entirely confident that we have the right QB if we have the wrong head coach. And I am a big fan of our QB. I'm also a big fan of our head coach, though.

The change that needs to happen first is Saleh. The first clue should always be when a coordinator's system is described as "simplistic" to allow players to make plays. That never seems to work. Get a good concrete system in place with a good, proven defensive coordinator. There is nobody on that side of the ball other than Buckner who has not regressed year over year. Foster, Witherspoon, Colbert, Tartt - all guys that should be playing better, and are all somehow playing much worse (to the point where some of them look replaceable). 

I'm not worried about the other parts of the team. This offseason we set out to fix the running game and despite our lead back being lost for the whole season, we have very clearly done that. We set out to finalize the secondary with Sherman- he's been as good as can be (and certainly it's not his fault that the other three pieces regressed). But what they've set out to do, they've done. Shanahan's system is clearly fine on offense.

Fix the pass rush. Fix the defensive coordinator. And get healthy. This team will be fine in 2019.

It's just going to be exceedingly painful in 2018.

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The characterization is spot on though. This is a results-driven league. Up to this point, Shanny has put an a ill-prepared, sloppy, undisciplined football team on the field, too many times to count. No one can ever complain about his scheme. But at some point, you have to put the clipboard down and RUN THE ENTIRE TEAM. Find someone you trust to run the offense and get this disarray of a team in order. We are about to break the NFL record for turnover differential against. That's totally unacceptable. To lose because you lack talent is one thing. I think any real fan could accept that. But to lose week after week in same sloppy, mistake-prone fashion is a reflection of the man running the show. 

Archived