Week 7 GDT: Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, Ataal said:

I checked two sites.   Unless someone can find a source other than Wikipedia and NFL.com, it appears we were, indeed, that horrible in 1978.  lol

Pro football reference also verifies 63 turnovers that year. 36 ints, 27 fumbles. The amazing thing is, unless it's wrong, we actually recovered more than half our fumbles to boot. We fumbled a whopping 56 times.

Turnovers on a game by game basis:

6, 4, 3, 5, 2 (we played Cincinnati... They had eight that game), 2, 6, 2, 5, 3, 3, 1 (only non multiple turnover game that entire season), 5, 3, 6 (again), and to cap off the season...7 against Detroit. Amazing. 

Also, crazy how many turnovers there were for all teams back then. Pretty typical for games to see 8 turnovers combined 

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pro football reference also verifies 63 turnovers that year. 36 ints, 27 fumbles. The amazing thing is, unless it's wrong, we actually recovered more than half our fumbles to boot. We fumbled a whopping 56 times.

Turnovers on a game by game basis:

6, 4, 3, 5, 2 (we played Cincinnati... They had eight that game), 2, 6, 2, 5, 3, 3, 1 (only non multiple turnover game that entire season), 5, 3, 6 (again), and to cap off the season...7 against Detroit. Amazing. 

Also, crazy how many turnovers there were for all teams back then. Pretty typical for games to see 8 turnovers combined 

That's actually pretty interesting.  Unfortunately, I was only a year old in 1978, so I don't quite remember how bad it was back then.  Definitely puts some things into perspective. 

2 hours ago, Ataal said:

That's actually pretty interesting.  Unfortunately, I was only a year old in 1978, so I don't quite remember how bad it was back then.  Definitely puts some things into perspective. 

1978 was clearly our worst team in franchise history. There was so much drama going on behind the scenes orchestrated by paranoid GM Joe Thomas. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Bad-as-these-49ers-are-the-1978-team-was-even-10636573.php

Baldy doing his usual breakdowns on us... and god damn is it brutal to watch.

Wtf is DJ Reed even doing. Not even bothering to try to make a play.

The truth hurts. I don't know what's worse, the fact that our D isn't getting set thus screwing up the play or the fact that they aren't well coached enough to be getting set correctly. Like how much of this falls on Saleh and how much of it falls on the players? Is the personnel so bad they don't know what they're doing or is Saleh not coaching them well enough? I'd be curious to see where the D is at without making all these small mistakes.

Marsh getting his *** handed to him by a TE. Typical. Pretty much nothing new here. We need at least 2 new pass rushers this offseason.

smh again nothing new. Just how much of this is on our players versus our coaches? I guess we'll find out next year with Jimmy and Jet back. 

I couldn't help but laugh at the last clip. Thanks for posting those @Geek 

I stayed for the entire game and by the end of it I was rooting for us to turn it over. I thought that play the Rams challenged was for sure going to be a touchdown lol 

To answer your last question: as of right now, it's on the players. If it doesn't get any better in the next 3-4 weeks, then it's on the coaching. 

Obviously I want to see immediate improvement, but at this point I am fine with watching this dumpster fire grow into an inferno. Either way, I'm good.

The worse it gets the more likely Kyle will gut his coaching staff. He seems to be unanimously respected and has been around the league so I have confidence in him to hire a better staff this time around. He was late to the party last time around, his success with the falcons meant guys like wade Phillips were already hired by the time he could put together a staff after the Superbowl (unlike McDaniels who hired a DC during the playoffs then bailed lol). 

If we are going to suck, we might as well fail spectacularly

Eventhough Saleh is calling better games in recent weeks, he should still be gone, the level of unpreparedness and miscommunication we’ve consistently seen now for 23 games is just unacceptable. It’s not even the failure to address the pass rush because he has some deniability...you can also argue it’s improved compared to Kelly and Tomsulsa.. but it’s the tackling, awkward packages and consistently broken coverages. 

When players don’t execute, it’s on them. When players consistently don’t execute a snap it’s s trend..that’s on the defensive staff.

38 minutes ago, John232 said:

Eventhough Saleh is calling better games in recent weeks, he should still be gone, the level of unpreparedness and miscommunication we’ve consistently seen now for 23 games is just unacceptable. It’s not even the failure to address the pass rush because he has some deniability...you can also argue it’s improved compared to Kelly and Tomsulsa.. but it’s the tackling, awkward packages and consistently broken coverages. 

When players don’t execute, it’s on them. When players consistently don’t execute a snap it’s s trend..that’s on the defensive staff.

I'll be really curious to see if he's gone. I'm wondering if we don't make smaller changes at the positional coaches level. I think a huge concern for the staff has to be the lack of progression and in some cases, regression of a lot of the guys we thought were going to be building blocks. All of the young players have played worse this year than last or simply haven't progressed at all.  Saleh's scheme is fairly simple, and we know from experience with other teams running it, that it works when you have the right players. So I wouldn't be at all shocked if the FO and Shanny think what he's doing is sound, but he just doesn't have the players (particularly the pass rush). I feel like most likely, he gets a third year. It's hard to fault Saleh for something like that Christian Kirk touchdown when Colbert completely brainfarts, freelances and disregards his zone, and we get hit with the long touchdown. Our team is really struggling in the communication and football IQ department, and that's a big problem for a team that runs so much zone. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'll be really curious to see if he's gone. I'm wondering if we don't make smaller changes at the positional coaches level. I think a huge concern for the staff has to be the lack of progression and in some cases, regression of a lot of the guys we thought were going to be building blocks. All of the young players have played worse this year than last or simply haven't progressed at all.  Saleh's scheme is fairly simple, and we know from experience with other teams running it, that it works when you have the right players. So I wouldn't be at all shocked if the FO and Shanny think what he's doing is sound, but he just doesn't have the players (particularly the pass rush). I feel like most likely, he gets a third year. It's hard to fault Saleh for something like that Christian Kirk touchdown when Colbert completely brainfarts, freelances and disregards his zone, and we get hit with the long touchdown. Our team is really struggling in the communication and football IQ department, and that's a big problem for a team that runs so much zone. 

Yeah, it’s incredjbly baffling to see the insane regression from youngster and furthermore, the fact that it appears systemic. Thomas isn’t playing (but when he is playing inside he’s fine, but it’s rare). Colbert is straight up horrible, akhello might be hurt and no one knows what’s going on with him. Taylor isn’t besting press coverage at all. Foster is merely average (thought he’s rusty and sure enough, fighting injuries again). Literally no idea how this happens after guys flashed positively for a good chunk of game time last year. And not like we’ve arrive to any consensus, I don’t doubt a couple of those guys will turn it around and be fine, but it’s still concerning.

Archived