Chances Norm Van Brocklin passing record (554 yards) gets broken this season

Blackstar12

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ben couldve easily broken it in the 2014 game vs the Colts, but the Steelers took their foot off the pedal late in the game when the lead got more comfortable, and he ended up with 522 yards.

And honestly, I could see Ben doing it this year considering how terrible our defense is.

Matt Schaub took five quarters to hit 527 and ended the game on a 60+ yard walk off Andre Johnson TD. Back when Schaub was competent. Those were nice days.

As far as this season, I've gotta think Goff or Mahomes in Mexico City. That's gonna be a fireworks show.

45 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

all these teams have decent RB backfield. unlikely.

Mahomes has the benefit of a HC/OC that doesn’t like to use his RB.  But yeah Big Ben / Brady / Brees have run games that limit the pass game ceiling.   And Brady will kill D’s with 10-12 play drives, death by 100 small cuts.  Same with Goff (although he can go quick strike as needed, both he and Brady are patient enough to use run / short pass game to kill D’s).

Need gunslingers with bad D, non-existent run games and quick strike weapons they lean on.   Mahomes is the only guy that fits the bill out of Brees/Brady/Ben/Goff.  

Mahomes / Winston / Watson for the W.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

Mahomes has the benefit of a HC/OC that doesn’t like to use his RB.  But yeah Big Ben / Brady / Brees have run games that limit the pass game ceiling.   And Brady will kill D’s with 10-12 play drives, death by 100 small cuts.  

Need gunslingers with bad D, non-existent run games and quick strike weapons they lean on.   Mahomes is the only guy that fits the bill out of Brees/Brady/Ben.  

Mahomes / Winston / Watson for the W.  

I'd say Watson if his OL was better. He's more likely to get sacked 20 times in a game vs throwing for 554...

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd say Watson if his OL was better. He's more likely to get sacked 20 times in a game vs throwing for 554...

Yeah that’s the issue with Watson.  70 pressures in 6 games when #2 in the NFL is 45, that is just ridiculous.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

Yeah that’s the issue with Watson.  70 pressures in 6 games when #2 in the NFL is 45 is just ridiculous.  

It's Steve McNair in his last years in TN all over again - just getting beat up at a legitimately frightening rate. But, instead of a 7+ year vet, we're talking about a guy who will be starting his 12th game this week.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Our new DC can get pretty pass happy as well, especially if the run game isnt working early.

Panthers, Chargers, Raiders, Patriots and the Saints are the games it could most likely happen in IMO. 

Unlikely because the Steelers will put that game out of reach early. Derek dink & dunk won’t be able to keep up offensively. I see 300+ for Ben though. 

When Warren Moon almost broke it in 1990, he did so against a quality defense in the Chiefs. Receivers just made plays, and raced towards the endzone or for big gains. And the Oilers led that entire game. So it could happen if any defense, especially in this era, just has a complete breakdown. I will say, the staple of their offense at the time was to pass regardless of the situation. A team in that kind of situation now, runs the ball in the second half. 

QB in a high caliber offense vs a team in a death spiral.

Van Brocklin set that record in 1951 vs the NY Yanks which had emerged from the AAFC as the Bulldogs and reorganized. Several QBs included John Rauch, who later coached the Raiders in SB 2, George Taliaferro black QB who helped Indiana U win the only Big Ten title. The Yanks folded after that season.

The LA Rams were loaded with hof talent in a 5 year dynasty run.

No modern team wants to lose to that record.

13 hours ago, Classic said:

I'm surprised it hasn't already been broken. Brady, Mahomes, Brees and Big Ben have all the weapons and gunslinger mentality to break it. It'll probably be average QB who likes to throw alot though and in a losing effort.

This record speaks true testaments to just how far ahead of their time the 50s Rams receiving corps were.  They were running 5 WR sets at a time where that type of offensive formation was unprecedented.  I cannot believe that record has stood for almost 70 years in today's pass happy league.  It's a shame that it has to be broken eventually.  I still put this accomplishment on the same pedestal that I put Marino's 5000 yard season in 1984, which is pretty much an unattainable one for everyone else that's played the game

16 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

This record speaks true testaments to just how far ahead of their time the 50s Rams receiving corps were.  They were running 5 WR sets at a time where that type of offensive formation was unprecedented.  I cannot believe that record has stood for almost 70 years in today's pass happy league.  It's a shame that it has to be broken eventually.  I still put this accomplishment on the same pedestal that I put Marino's 5000 yard season in 1984, which is pretty much an unattainable one for everyone else that's played the game

Teams were running man to man defense in that era. Image what any 70s or 80s dynasty would do to man coverage.

Archived