Where do you rank the Chargers in the AFC

Blackstar12

Agreed with OP.  They seem to be the 3rd best team in the AFC.  Their offense isn't on the same level as the Rams and the Chiefs but let's be honest, it's not too far behind.  Even with Keenan Allen taking a small step back this season, Tyrell and Mike Williams have definitely stepped up.  And Melvin Gordon is cementing himself as a top 5 running back

I'm kind of wondering where Tyrell Williams goes after this season.  I dont think the Chargers will be resigning him because they drafted Mike Williams 7th overall.  I'm expecting him to get a pretty nice contract in FA around the $8-10M per year range

I think more of Rivers than most, but as I said in another thread, you ought to look at who they've played. They've beaten teams they should have beaten (49ers, Raiders, Browns, Bills - that's 3 of the worst teams in the league) and lost to teams they're not as good as - Rams and Chiefs. So, nothing massively surprises me yet. I believe they'll be in the hunt and will probably pick up a WC spot.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think more of Rivers than most, but as I said in another thread, you ought to look at who they've played. They've beaten teams they should have beaten (49ers, Raiders, Browns, Bills - that's 3 of the worst teams in the league) and lost to teams they're not as good as - Rams and Chiefs. So, nothing massively surprises me yet. I believe they'll be in the hunt and will probably pick up a WC spot.

Pretty much this.

Definitely not 3rd best in the AFC.

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Their next 4 games are all winnable.  They could be sitting at 8-2, but the rest of the way is going to be tough with match ups with the rest of the AFC North and 3 divisional games.  That will be the real test to see if they are legit or not.  

Potentially the 3rd best team but I'd say we're behind the Ravens and Steelers. Depending on how the Bengals fare against the Chiefs could behind  them too. I can't buy this team yet when last year they beat up on weak teams before the rematch with the Chiefs and got blown out by Alex Smith. We won't be facing legit teams until later in the year but it is good sign that we are beating the teams we should.

33 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Agreed with OP.  They seem to be the 3rd best team in the AFC.  Their offense isn't on the same level as the Rams and the Chiefs but let's be honest, it's not too far behind.  Even with Keenan Allen taking a small step back this season, Tyrell and Mike Williams have definitely stepped up.  And Melvin Gordon is cementing himself as a top 5 running back

I'm kind of wondering where Tyrell Williams goes after this season.  I dont think the Chargers will be resigning him because they drafted Mike Williams 7th overall.  I'm expecting him to get a pretty nice contract in FA around the $8-10M per year range

Yeah I don't think he stays either and we don't have anyone behind him worthy of moving up. Benjamin has regressed and is in Lynn's doghouse after multiple bad routes run and dropped passes. I can see the Raiders and Jets paying him the contract he wants.

They are 3rd or 4th given where you rank Baltimore. 

Yeah I don't think he stays either and we don't have anyone behind him worthy of moving up. Benjamin has regressed and is in Lynn's doghouse after multiple bad routes run and dropped passes. I can see the Raiders and Jets paying him the contract he wants.

I can easily see the Chargers resigning him.

Michael Lombardi says a lot of dumb things, but one thing I do agree with him on is that a team's WR corps has to be diverse. Tyrell is inconsistent, but he is also their best deep threat and that compliments Mike's ability to catch contest balls and Keenan's route running and underneath prowess. 

Depends what criteria you use to rank teams. If you go based off SOV then 3rd or 4th is about fair. If you go by strenghts and weaknesses (on field play with unit stats) they have a case for 1st (better defense than NE and KC and more rounded offense.. slightly less explosive. LAR and KC have 36 plays of 20 plus yds, LAC has 35). If you go off confidence due to recent historic trends then like 6th. 

They have a sneaky game coming up vs titans. Then they have a tough road game at Seattle. Then they got Pit, Cincy, KC and Baltimore i believe all in a row. So we'll find out. Alot will have to do with how Bosa looks to.

Archived