Where do you rank the Chargers in the AFC

Blackstar12

I'll say they are #3 for now, with potential to move up.

I see people putting the Ravens ahead of us, but we just blew out the team that beat them the week before.

As far as teams we've beaten:

- The Raiders are obviously terrible. Don't really need to go into that.

- People will make fun of the Bills, but we didn't get to play them with Nate Peterman. The Bills defense is underrated and they were able to beat the Vikings. I'm not saying that the Bills are a quality win by any means, but when Josh Allen is the starter i don't consider them a terrible team. We won the game pretty easily too.

- The 49ers are obviously injury ridden and without the starting QB, but they've played a lot of teams close even in their losses. It's also nice to see the Chargers eek out a win in a game that they normally would drop in previous years, gives the feeling that things might actually be different this year.

- The Chargers weren't even favored by the spread going into the Browns game. Most people I saw had the Browns beating the Chargers and people were talking about the Browns as a potential playoff contender. Then the Chargers go into Cleveland and smoke them and all of a sudden it's just, "Well they only beat the Browns." The fact is that the Browns had been competitive in every single game they had played up to that point and they just beat a team the week before that some people have ranked higher than us.

Also: Bosa is likely going to be back for the Seattle game after the Bye week, and there is an outside chance that Hunter Henry could be back late in the year and in the playoffs.

The Chargers team you see now has a lot of potential to become even better. The things that cost us in both the Rams/Chiefs games have mostly been cleaned up by now.

21 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Hard to say, for me, at this point. I really want to see how they do in their next two matchups. So far they've basically beaten really bad teams, and been beaten by really good teams. So based on what they've done so far, they could be a top 5 team in the NFL. They could also be pretty mediocre. So I'm very interested to see how they do against some mid-level teams in Tennessee and Seattle. They're also clearly the best defenses they'll face in the first half of the season, so that will be a good test to see too.

Still early enough in the season that there's a few teams I can't quite decide if their record is reflective of who they are, or if they're a product of who they've played, or what.

I said this in my last post, but how bad are the Bills and Browns really? 

We played the Bills with Josh Allen starting. The Bills could very well be 3-3 right now if not for Peterman coming into the Texans game throwing two back breaking picks. It's not like we played the Peterman Bills week 2, and we still dominated that game.

The narrative going into last week was that the Browns were a playoff contender and they were even favored by the spread and picked by many to beat the Chargers. Then the game happens, the Browns get embarrassed and the narrative is now that the Browns are terrible.

Obviously you want to see how they do against teams like the Ravens/Bengals/Steelers, but let's not act like the Browns/Bills are really that terrible. 

Also they are going to be getting their best defensive player back in a matter of weeks, so expect them to have a lot better success at slowing down the better offenses in the league. The biggest problem we had in the Rams game was getting 0 pressure on Goff (That and a special teams blunder due to a mental mistake by a punter that we have since cut), I would expect that to be different with Bosa back. 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:11 AM, footbull3196 said:

Agreed with OP.  They seem to be the 3rd best team in the AFC.  Their offense isn't on the same level as the Rams and the Chiefs but let's be honest, it's not too far behind.  Even with Keenan Allen taking a small step back this season, Tyrell and Mike Williams have definitely stepped up.  And Melvin Gordon is cementing himself as a top 5 running back

I'm kind of wondering where Tyrell Williams goes after this season.  I dont think the Chargers will be resigning him because they drafted Mike Williams 7th overall.  I'm expecting him to get a pretty nice contract in FA around the $8-10M per year range

It's not so much Keenan taking a step back as everyone else taking a step forward, especially the running backs.

Yeah, Keenan has just not been featured that much. Same thing happened in the first half of last season. 

2017 first 6 games: 33 receptions  446 yards 1 TD

2018 first 6 games 36 receptions 436 yards 1 TD

He will pick it up in the second half and finish around 1200-1300 yards. 

53 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It's not so much Keenan taking a step back as everyone else taking a step forward, especially the running backs.

6 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, Keenan has just not been featured that much. Same thing happened in the first half of last season. 

2017 first 6 games: 33 receptions  446 yards 1 TD

2018 first 6 games 36 receptions 436 yards 1 TD

He will pick it up in the second half and finish around 1200-1300 yards. 

That's how I feel as well.  The Chargers have a ton of offensive weapons and defenses are going to start to focus on stopping the other guys pretty soon.  That should get Keenan some better looks.  It's gonna be hard to stop him and Gordon and Ekeler and Tyrell Williams all at the same time.  And if you double down on all 4 of those guys, I'm not sure who else you would have out there to stop Mike Williams

2 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

That's how I feel as well.  The Chargers have a ton of offensive weapons and defenses are going to start to focus on stopping the other guys pretty soon.  That should get Keenan some better looks.  It's gonna be hard to stop him and Gordon and Ekeler and Tyrell Williams all at the same time.  And if you double down on all 4 of those guys, I'm not sure who else you would have out there to stop Mike Williams

Pretty much. I supposed that's the downside of only having one ball and so many options available. Sometimes some feasts while others don't.

Chargers need to feature Mike Williams more. I swear that guy catches everything now and is tough after the catch. I hope Rivers starts trust him with jump balls like Floyd and V.Jack.

Right now if we based off recent trends of what teams will be in the SB it would be Ravens vs LAR. Look at the past 6 or 7 years. Its almost always the top 2 teams in each conference that finish with higher point diff that make the SB. I think its the most telling stat to guage how good teams are. 

Hate to be the off topic guy and maybe there is someone or somewhere i can ask these questions. But why does it sometimes not let me post for like 8 hours. All the posting options and quote options disappear. I sign out and sign in, i close my browser, nothing works. Ill come back on like 7 or 8 hours laters and it works?

Archived