2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Nick Bosa has average explosion, but excellent functional strength. His ceiling is Aaron Kampman. He lumbers a bit around the corner and his strength and technique advantage will be more limited on the next level. He doesn't have elite fluidity or bend or explosion, and most (all?) of the All-Pro level rushers in the NFL have at least one of these.

Looks more like a top 25 "solid" high floor prospect than a top 5 high ceiling guy.

Prove me wrong.

Also, I think Josh Allen is only slightly above Bosa. He has a little higher potential IMO. 

I'd rank my edge: Burns, Sweat, Allen, Bosa as the 1st rounders this year.

275CCny.gif

giphy.gif

1*2tFuDvVdAO9-9LkjYII64w.gif

Lumbering eh'?, bad call bro, not a good look. He is as natural playing on the edge as there is in this draft, I can deal with criticism of a prospect but false narratives I can't stomach, he virtually shows all three (fluidity, explosion, and bend) in these gifs. Just because you try to talk yourself into something doesn't make it true.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, BayRaider said:

Glad to see people realizing Allen is overrated and Winovich > Gary. Could see Allen fall into the teens on draft day honestly. Somebody tumbles every year. 

Please stop... Allen is properly ranked and Chase Winovich is not a better prospect than Rashan Gary, please stop it.

Silly season.......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Lumbering eh'?, bad call bro, not a good look. He is as natural playing on the edge as there is in this draft, I can deal with criticism of a prospect but false narratives I can't stomach, he virtually shows all three (fluidity, explosion, and bend) in these gifs. Just because you try to talk yourself into something doesn't make it true.

Disagree. The elites that have these traits look way more natural in their highlight reels displaying those traits.

1st gif is just awful OT play, every DE in the NFL could have made that arc.

2nd gif shows a loss of body control trying to dip (he nearly falls) but good strength and balance (arm plant) to stay upright. However, any decent QB takes one step up to avoid that. LT pushes him in the back as he's falling that would take him out of the play vs an NFL QB. 

3rd gif shows good strength and technique to pop the LT, but again that is a VERY average arc that most DEs can run.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Prove me wrong.

So we're operating under the assumption that you're right?  Scary thought.  Either way, this is the same discussion we had with Joey Bosa.  There was no way he was going to be as good as he was in college in the pros.  And he was.  Is Nick Bosa an elite EDGE?  Probably not in the sense of being a consistent 15+ sack year, but he's going to get double-digit sacks, play good run defense, and not be a liability in any particular aspect of that game.  He was productive last year and was on his way to another strong season until he ended his year prematurely.  Let's not overthink this one.

• Like 11

Nick Bosa just has a lot of question marks for me honestly. Even his player comparisons(Chris Long) make me scratch my head like really that’s a top 2 pick? 

Upside wise QWill, Allen, Sweat and hell maybe even Gary are better if they all reach their ceilings. 

Not to mention Bosa’s injury concerns and character concerns. 

Just cant believe he’s such a shoe in to San Francisco all because Lynch has tunnel vision. I think they’re making a mistake not considering other options such as QWill or Allen.

35 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Nick Bosa just has a lot of question marks for me honestly. Even his player comparisons(Chris Long) make me scratch my head like really that’s a top 2 pick? 

Upside wise QWill, Allen, Sweat and hell maybe even Gary are better if they all reach their ceilings. 

Not to mention Bosa’s injury concerns and character concerns. 

Just cant believe he’s such a shoe in to San Francisco all because Lynch has tunnel vision. I think they’re making a mistake not considering other options such as QWill or Allen.

That's one player comparison for him. I've seen several others. I don't have character concerns on Bosa (though some of his beliefs obviously don't mesh well in SF), mainly because there's nothing concrete there. Lots of whispers and whatnot. The injury concern is legit. 

The 49ers are doing their due diligence on everyone. They hosted Allen for two days. They've met with QW multiple times. You happen to not be a huge fan of Bosa, and that's fine. But for a lot of other people, it's a situation like Cwood described, "don't overthink it". There's a reason he's viewed this highly by the majority of people. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's one player comparison for him. I've seen several others. I don't have character concerns on Bosa (though some of his beliefs obviously don't mesh well in SF), mainly because there's nothing concrete there. Lots of whispers and whatnot. The injury concern is legit. 

The 49ers are doing their due diligence on everyone. They hosted Allen for two days. They've met with QW multiple times. You happen to not be a huge fan of Bosa, and that's fine. But for a lot of other people, it's a situation like Cwood described, "don't overthink it". There's a reason he's viewed this highly by the majority of people. 

Safe bet + plenty of upside at a highly valued position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just think the philosophy of “If x Player is there they’re taking him” is a bad strategy when the entire draft board is at your disposal(Murray going 1 is obvious at this point). If the 49ers were picking 4th or 5th or 6th and he dropped to them like that makes a lot of sense to have the mentality but he’s been tied to them pretty much since as long as I can remember. There’s doing due diligence and there’s what the 49ers are doing. I just don’t think they’re considering anyone else at this point and it’s a disservice to the team and fan base. I like Bosa, trust me I do, I just think there are better prospects than him at the top. 

Also his views imo aren’t even the issue, it’s why he stopped expressing them. “Because I might end up in San Francisco” made me laugh. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I just think the philosophy of “If x Player is there they’re taking him” is a bad strategy when the entire draft board is at your disposal(Murray going 1 is obvious at this point). If the 49ers were picking 4th or 5th or 6th and he dropped to them like that makes a lot of sense to have the mentality but he’s been tied to them pretty much since as long as I can remember. There’s doing due diligence and there’s what the 49ers are doing. I just don’t think they’re considering anyone else at this point and it’s a disservice to the team and fan base. I like Bosa, trust me I do, I just think there are better prospects than him at the top. 

Also his views imo aren’t even the issue, it’s why he stopped expressing them. “Because I might end up in San Francisco” made me laugh. 

@Forge just described how the niners are in fact doing their due diligence with a multitude of players, including Allen, QW, Sweat and I think Burns is the most recent one haha. Speaking as if you’ve been in the room during all their pre draft discussions and meetings when truly you’re basing your rational off of what media heads are saying or thinking isn’t the best route to take. From an outsiders perspective which is everyone, draft “experts” included, it would appear with all these visits and multiple conversations the niners have had with multiple prospects that they are not just all in on Bosa and ignoring the field. I think there’s actually more rumors going around that the niners hold QW in a very high regard, despite having chosen three IDL in the past five years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

@Forge just described how the niners are in fact doing their due diligence with a multitude of players, including Allen, QW, Sweat and I think Burns is the most recent one haha. Speaking as if you’ve been in the room during all their pre draft discussions and meetings when truly you’re basing your rational off of what media heads are saying or thinking isn’t the best route to take. From an outsiders perspective which is everyone, draft “experts” included, it would appear with all these visits and multiple conversations the niners have had with multiple prospects that they are not just all in on Bosa and ignoring the field. I think there’s actually more rumors going around that the niners hold QW in a very high regard, despite having chosen three IDL in the past five years.

I’m talking to Forge not you. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Not offering an opinion either way on this but, this shows him with purely finesse moves. Can you also dig up some example of him just outmuscling blockers or going through them? 

I don't think Bosa's ability to win with power or skill are in dispute. @MSURacerDT55, his sack against TCU is also a really impressive speed rush. It shows his lower body flexibility (especially in the ankles) and balance. Unfortunately, the angles on the play aren't great.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danger said:

Not offering an opinion either way on this but, this shows him with purely finesse moves. Can you also dig up some example of him just outmuscling blockers or going through them? 

That's fine, but IMO, its known that his game is power so that the fact that he can provide a decent display of finesse moves add value to him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Nah you just didn’t add anything to the discussion. You essentially repeated what he said as if I didn’t read it. 

Well he stated that the niners aren’t in fact blowing off every other prospect other than Bosa as you claim to know as fact. And then you stated in your response Something similar or to that again speaking in definitives as if from your couch you are privy to the niners draft discussions. Thought maybe you’d catch on with a repeated message.  

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1