2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Polite isn't 260. He's more in the 240 to 250 range. Frankly, as a Gator fan, I don't really feel like he has jumped off the screen as much as I hoped. He's a first round talent, but he's going to need to develop a deeper set of pass rush moves. He's not a consistent enough factor right now. I do love his effort, though. Kid plays hard.

He has rare physical skills when I watch him. Needs to go to the right team.

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Polite isn't 260. He's more in the 240 to 250 range. Frankly, as a Gator fan, I don't really feel like he has jumped off the screen as much as I hoped. He's a first round talent, but he's going to need to develop a deeper set of pass rush moves. He's not a consistent enough factor right now. I do love his effort, though. Kid plays hard.

Supposedly he was 260 last year, and he struggled I thought.  He's shown off well at 240, but that weight is an issue for me with the 49ers and worries me. Our forum is huge on the kid, but asking him to succeed at 240 pounds on the edge with a hand in his dirt at 240 is asking a lot, especially when he didn't look great the year before when he supposedly was 260 pounds so you may not have the option of saying "yeah, he'll fill out add on some weight and beast it out". Feel like he's going to be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB than a leo in our rush scheme. I love the kid's tape, but I'm not so sure that Bosa (obviously) or Sweat would be better options for us specifically, maybe Josh Allen too. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Supposedly he was 260 last year, and he struggled I thought.  He's shown off well at 240, but that weight is an issue for me with the 49ers and worries me. Our forum is huge on the kid, but asking him to succeed at 240 pounds on the edge with a hand in his dirt at 240 is asking a lot, especially when he didn't look great the year before when he supposedly was 260 pounds so you may not have the option of saying "yeah, he'll fill out add on some weight and beast it out". Feel like he's going to be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB than a leo in our rush scheme. I love the kid's tape, but I'm not so sure that Bosa (obviously) or Sweat would be better options for us specifically, maybe Josh Allen too. 

If you're considering him alongside Bosa, you need to not do that. Polite has a ton of upside, but Bosa is an easy choice. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

If you're considering him alongside Bosa, you need to not do that. Polite has a ton of upside, but Bosa is an easy choice. 

Some in our forum are. I'm not. Bosa is my #1 far and away. But if we don't end up with the #1 overall, I don't think we have a shot at Bosa, so then we have to go to secondary guys. That would be Polite, Sweat, Burns (I guess...I'm not as big on him as some), and probably Allen as guys who will play more LEO (though I'm not convinced that is Allen's position at the next level, I don't know). I love what I've seen from Polite, I just don't know if I'd prefer him over those guys as a fit for the offense. I'm really torn. No doubt that we go edge with our first, and this pick will be huge for our long term success. If it's not Bosa, I keep going back and forth on who it should be. 

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

Some in our forum are. I'm not. Bosa is my #1 far and away. But if we don't end up with the #1 overall, I don't think we have a shot at Bosa, so then we have to go to secondary guys. That would be Polite, Sweat, Burns (I guess...I'm not as big on him as some), and probably Allen as guys who will play more LEO (though I'm not convinced that is Allen's position at the next level, I don't know). I love what I've seen from Polite, I just don't know if I'd prefer him over those guys as a fit for the offense. I'm really torn. No doubt that we go edge with our first, and this pick will be huge for our long term success. If it's not Bosa, I keep going back and forth on who it should be. 

Clelin Ferrell and Josh Allen look better than Polite, Sweat, and Burns. Josh Allen is legit, but he should be allowed to rush standing up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Clelin Ferrell and Josh Allen look better than Polite, Sweat, and Burns. Josh Allen is legit, but he should be allowed to rush standing up.

My concern with Ferrell is that he's going to be an SDE last the next level? Maybe I'm over thinking it all though and getting too nitpicky on these guys

Surprised no one has mentioned Ferguson. I don't think he's an explosive athlete, but he's pretty solid with his hands and can redirect through contact. He has an absolutely absurd 65.0 career tackles for a loss and 42.5 sacks. Testing will be key for him -- I don't anticipate that he'll blow away the Combine or go in the 1st round -- but I do think he's a fundamentally sound edge defender who is getting lost in the hype for more athletic rushers.

18 hours ago, Forge said:

My concern with Ferrell is that he's going to be an SDE last the next level? Maybe I'm over thinking it all though and getting too nitpicky on these guys

He can play in space and also be a weakside rusher. He just doesn't have elite speed or COD, but it's enough to work. He needs to be used the same way Chandler Jones is used.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:31 AM, jrry32 said:

He torched FSU too, but that's FSU.

Allen is a 1-man wrecking crew wherever he lines up. He can shift to DT on obvious passing downs. He's my realistic #1 choice for Miami.

I'm interested to see him at the combine. 

Edited by freak_of_nature

7 hours ago, reamer said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Ferguson. I don't think he's an explosive athlete, but he's pretty solid with his hands and can redirect through contact. He has an absolutely absurd 65.0 career tackles for a loss and 42.5 sacks. Testing will be key for him -- I don't anticipate that he'll blow away the Combine or go in the 1st round -- but I do think he's a fundamentally sound edge defender who is getting lost in the hype for more athletic rushers.

I think he'll have an above average combine for his size, and probably get drafted between pick 40-55.

8 hours ago, reamer said:

Jaylon Ferguson I like and have brought him up a over a year ago.  Not sure how you think he is not explosive, not powerful sure but kid is quick and can get penetration regardless, the LSU tape this year would be one to watch for sure. The kid is crazy productive like you said, long lean body just does not get the attention because of where he plays.  Legit 2nd round prospect no doubt and could sneak into the 1st with strong workouts.  

On 11/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, CWood21 said:

I really wish there was more tape of Zach Allen.  He destroyed Temple's tackles.

What do you mean more tape?  The kid has all kinds of tape, three years of good tape especially the last two.  Just pick your game and type it in on youtube, it could be there, the BC Temple game is on there so I bet many others are also.  

And yes Sutton Smith is not the ideal in terms of size but his production is crazy, his sack numbers two years in a row now are outstanding.  Is in constant motion and is super relentless.  Is one heck of a pass rusher regardless of where he plays, and I feel he is a good enough athlete to play in a 3/4 ILB spot or might be strong enough to play in a 4/3 OLB.  Take the Rams for example, they do not have these massive 3/4 OLBs and they do just fine, Samson Ebukam is only 6-3 245, Sutton could do similar things potentially in the right system.  Everyone is so multiple few teams actually have a standard 3/4 anyways.

23 hours ago, reamer said:

I like him but my big issue with him is his athleticism and mostly an inconsistent motor, there are times where he comes like a bat out of hell, then some times where he's sluggish and comes with no pop or juice. I cant wait to see him in their bowl game and see how he plays on the big stage, as far as his athleticism, he doesn't look super explosive but he could surprise like Jordan Willis did.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 1:31 AM, jrry32 said:

He torched FSU too, but that's FSU.

They have one of the most atrocious OL's in the nation.

...but Zach Allen is good. Speaking of good white DE's, I kind of like Anthony Nelson from Iowa too. He sets a very physical edge. Allen is a better pass rusher, but they are both tremendous base 4-3 DE prospects to set the edge and stop the run.