2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Burns has zero ability to convert speed to power. I don't know what you're seeing with Burns and Sweat.

I guess I can say the same about you. I initially liked Sweat a lot, still do, but after going back to watching his film, he’s not the prospect I thought he was. Burns has him beat in first step, mental processesing, counters, hand-usage, bend, hip flexibility, & just overall athleticism. Motor is always hot as well. I really can’t tell you a thing Sweat beats him by a distance.

I fully expect Burns to have a better career than Sweat & Allen(think he’s gonna be a big bust).

58 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

I guess I can say the same about you. I initially liked Sweat a lot, still do, but after going back to watching his film, he’s not the prospect I thought he was. Burns has him beat in first step, mental processesing, counters, hand-usage, bend, hip flexibility, & just overall athleticism. Motor is always hot as well. I really can’t tell you a thing Sweat beats him by a distance.

I fully expect Burns to have a better career than Sweat & Allen(think he’s gonna be a big bust).

You think Allen is going to be a big bust? Allen to me is can't miss- though his upside is below Sweat and Burns IMO. I like all 3 TBH. The guys I don't like at edge are Gary, Polite, and Ferrell.

Sweat's tape is quite good, what don't you like? Outstanding length, great motor, and excellent toughness- in addition to his otherworldly athleticism. Guy is physically comparable to the likes of Clowney and Garret. He also can bend, and anyone saying otherwise is fake news. For me Sweat just needs to refine his game, and Burns just needs to get bigger and stronger (which he should considering he's 20 and has put on 15lbs already with the frame to add more).

Allen is ready to roll, the guy is just excellent in all facets but still has upside as he refines his game.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BucShot said:

You think Allen is going to be a big bust? Allen to me is can't miss- though his upside is below Sweat and Burns IMO. I like all 3 TBH. The guys I don't like at edge are Gary, Polite, and Ferrell.

Sweat's tape is quite good, what don't you like? Outstanding length, great motor, and excellent toughness- in addition to his otherworldly athleticism. Guy is physically comparable to the likes of Clowney and Garret. He also can bend, and anyone saying otherwise is fake news. For me Sweat just needs to refine his game, and Burns just needs to get bigger and stronger (which he should considering he's 20 and has put on 15lbs already with the frame to add more).

Allen is ready to roll, the guy is just excellent in all facets but still has upside as he refines his game.

Oh no, I don’t dislike Sweat at all. I like him. He’s just not touching Burns as a prospect to me.

His lack of counters & moveset will cost him heavily. I don’t wanna bank on that he’ll develop that with a top 15 pick. His tape against 2018 UGA might have been the worst I’ve seen compared to any Burns or Sweat tape.

4 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Anything involving punch and power. Burns has neither. Burns has him on first step, speed rush plans/moves/counters, fluidity, and bend (although, you're wrong when you say Sweat can't bend). Sweat has Burns on basically everything else. Burns is a pure speed rusher. Sweat has the ability to win by any means as his game grows.

EDIT: And to prove that I'm not the only one seeing it, here are Lance Zierlein's scouting reports on the two:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/montez-sweat?id=32195357-4503-4375-fdbc-389a73a5ddc5

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-burns?id=32194255-5243-5186-1599-e217b39cecc8

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Anything involving punch and power. Burns has neither. Burns has him on first step, speed rush plans/moves/counters, fluidity, and bend (although, you're wrong when you say Sweat can't bend). Sweat has Burns on basically everything else. Burns is a pure speed rusher. Sweat has the ability to win by any means as his game grows.

EDIT: And to prove that I'm not the only one seeing it, here are Lance Zierlein's scouting reports on the two:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/montez-sweat?id=32195357-4503-4375-fdbc-389a73a5ddc5

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-burns?id=32194255-5243-5186-1599-e217b39cecc8

I also have your back on this one. Having this same conversation with niner fans lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Maxx Crosby vs Justin Hollins vs Porter Gustin

Who would you rather have in round 3/4?

Justin Hollins. He’s a piece of moldable clay. Definitely has the athletic profile to make in impact as a pass rusher in the NFL.

3 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Can Hollins play 4-3 Sam?

Not sure. I know Jordan Brailford played off ball LB in certain formations, so he maybe could.

Based on Hollins 3-cone, you'd assume he could at least look decent at SLB.

Edited by Jeezla

On 3/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, jrry32 said:

I prefer Polite to Burns, but no one agrees with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I prefer Polite to Burns, but no one agrees with me.

I do too. I like both, but Polite is better when you turn on the tape. I don't care about his terrible times. His terrible interviews are a little concerning, but on the field, Polite seems to be more explosive and more capable of converting his speed to power. Polite may have timed slow, but the tape tells me that he's the most explosive edge in this draft class.

Burns weighed like 215 pounds during a large portion of his playing career at FSU. It's hard to tell what he's going to do with all of that extra muscle he packed on for the NFL combine. It's a bit of a projection, sure, but he's also much more equipped to deal with OT's now than he was at FSU.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

What about Ben Banogu? Thoughts?

He's good. Sneaky good. Has good size, great speed, and underrated power. I think he could end up being a top 50 pick and exceeding all of his current expectations. Dude is a legitimate talent and doesn't really have bad tape either. He's a little older than most draft prospects IIRC, but that's about my only real concern right now. He still needs refinement, but that's not to be unexpected from ANY draft prospect. He's going to be good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I do too. I like both, but Polite is better when you turn on the tape. I don't care about his terrible times. His terrible interviews are a little concerning, but on the field, Polite seems to be more explosive and more capable of converting his speed to power. Polite may have timed slow, but the tape tells me that he's the most explosive edge in this draft class.

Burns weighed like 215 pounds during a large portion of his playing career at FSU. It's hard to tell what he's going to do with all of that extra muscle he packed on for the NFL combine. It's a bit of a projection, sure, but he's also much more equipped to deal with OT's now than he was at FSU.

Yep, you have to worry about Polite's red flags, but between two pure speed rushers, Polite was the more impressive player. And Polite actually flashed some punch and power on rare occasion. Oddly enough, if you compare Polite's profile with DeMarcus Lawrence's, there are a lot of similarities. Lawrence even had some character and maturity questions. Hopefully, Polite overcomes his too.

EDIT: Here are there NFL.com profiles:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-polite?id=3219504f-4c11-3764-b3c6-cc83363f62fb

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarcus-lawrence?id=2543490

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1