2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

So, will either/neither/both of Sweat and Burns have a better NFL career than Ferrell ? 

I'm guessing Ferrell has the better career (despite the fact I loved Burn's combine), but I would like any opinions on that. Ferrell isn't the athlete that both the others are, but he is smart, powerful, has tools, and comes with the intangibles. i love athletic guys, it gives them a better chance of a long NFL career, but it isn't everything.

I hate to say it, but Ferrell reminds me of a Shilique Calhoun type guy

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, BucShot said:

You think Allen is going to be a big bust? Allen to me is can't miss- though his upside is below Sweat and Burns IMO. I like all 3 TBH. The guys I don't like at edge are Gary, Polite, and Ferrell.

Sweat's tape is quite good, what don't you like? Outstanding length, great motor, and excellent toughness- in addition to his otherworldly athleticism. Guy is physically comparable to the likes of Clowney and Garret. He also can bend, and anyone saying otherwise is fake news. For me Sweat just needs to refine his game, and Burns just needs to get bigger and stronger (which he should considering he's 20 and has put on 15lbs already with the frame to add more).

Allen is ready to roll, the guy is just excellent in all facets but still has upside as he refines his game.

His flim vs KSU's Risner was very impressive, I will admit, Risner couldn't do anything with a guy as athletic as Sweat. Also agree with Allen, he works hard and takes pride in his craft, you can tell, he progressively got better and I have no reason to think he wont continue to at the next level.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, Jeezla said:

Maxx Crosby vs Justin Hollins vs Porter Gustin

Who would you rather have in round 3/4?

Gustin by a mile, people forget he was projected to be one of the top edge prospects coming into this year and got hurt and people forgot about him. Gustin tested very well at the combine and would be considered a steal in the 3rd/4th while those others would be considered a reach IMO

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, NoDakViking said:

Can Hollins play 4-3 Sam?

I can see it, I actually think that is more a natural fit for him

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Where is Rashan Gary's best fit in a front 7, both for 3-4 and 4-3. DE in both or more pure Edge rusher?

With his size, he is an ideal base end, he has the requisite size and ability to hold up vs the run but the athleticism to present a legit pass rushing threat.

But as a 3 tech he would create so much havoc

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Cough look at DeMarcus Lawrence cough

True, but he plays in a 4/3 and could hold his own at the point of attack and did that in college as well.  Polite has shown nothing more than being able to use quickness to get to the QB, defending the run is more than just a question mark for him.  Not sure he could become a every down player like Lawrence is, he cannot control lineman with his hands that well either, can get around him but not hold the edge.   Polite would be more a situational guy on a team that just use him in passing situations potentially.  Hope he shows out more in his pro day, will see.  

On 3/14/2019 at 3:48 PM, Chiefer said:

Chiefs all of a sudden need EDGE help. Particularly at LEO.

Who are some late first round types i should take a look at. Or guys who could potentially fall and be trade up candidates

Any help would be appreciated

Could take a shot at Polite, after his combine he has dropped like a rock on most public boards. Ferrell could be in trade up territory for you guys, mid to late teens, same with Burns. After that you're looking at Jaylon Ferguson / Ximines as later first or 2nd round guys

• Like 1

Maybe this has been covered, so SIAP, but did one of Sweat or Simmons benefit greatly from the other? I'm just curious if it's like a Jonathan Sullivan/David Pollack situation. From everything I've read, folks are really high on Simmons so just wondering aloud if Sweat looks better due to him. I also realize they both can be super talented and that may be the case, just asking for conversation sake

23 hours ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Maybe this has been covered, so SIAP, but did one of Sweat or Simmons benefit greatly from the other? I'm just curious if it's like a Jonathan Sullivan/David Pollack situation. From everything I've read, folks are really high on Simmons so just wondering aloud if Sweat looks better due to him. I also realize they both can be super talented and that may be the case, just asking for conversation sake

I think in terms of prospects benefiting from a synergistic affect on a talented DL, look at the Clemson guys. I think Simmons and Sweat were both just fantastic prospects.

43 minutes ago, BucShot said:

I think in terms of prospects benefiting from a synergistic affect on a talented DL, look at the Clemson guys. I think Simmons and Sweat were both just fantastic prospects.

Yeah, I'm pretty lukewarm on everyone in that lineup but Christian Wilkins.  Wilkins is a stud, but Lawrence I wouldn't want before late in the second, at the earliest.  Austin Bryant I can't get a bead on.  Yeah, he has some numbers, but he's not impressive on tape IMO.  Clelin Ferrell I like, won't hate it if the Titans have to take him at 19, but I won't exactly love it either.  I still have Ferrell next in line behind the top end pass rushers, but there's a big dropoff there.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, I'm pretty lukewarm on everyone in that lineup but Christian Wilkins.  Wilkins is a stud, but Lawrence I wouldn't want before late in the second, at the earliest.  Austin Bryant I can't get a bead on.  Yeah, he has some numbers, but he's not impressive on tape IMO.  Clelin Ferrell I like, won't hate it if the Titans have to take him at 19, but I won't exactly love it either.  I still have Ferrell next in line behind the top end pass rushers, but there's a big dropoff there.

I feel the opposite. I think each of those guys is going to be an NFL starter. Ferrell and Wilkins are superstars, Lawrence is great, and Bryant is good. Teams wouldn't regret taking any of the big (3) in the top 5. And Bryant could go as early as the 2nd round and it wouldn't be crazy. 

Also, I hate Clemson with a passion. But those dudes are freaking good.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I feel the opposite. I think each of those guys is going to be an NFL starter. Ferrell and Wilkins are superstars, Lawrence is great, and Bryant is good. Teams wouldn't regret taking any of the big (3) in the top 5. And Bryant could go as early as the 2nd round and it wouldn't be crazy. 

Also, I hate Clemson with a passion. But those dudes are freaking good.

Oh yeah, I would be shocked if my analysis of their relative talents is correct, but super talented teams make scouting a lot tougher.  I think that's one reason people are so often wrong with Bama guys.  When the Titans drafted Warmack, most people were psyched, but there were plenty of red flags he showed in the pre-draft process that should have clued everyone in, but when you're between two guys with NFL careers in their future in the trenches, doing your job is a whole lot easier, and it's easy to get a lot of good tape.

For what it's worth, I saw some O-linemen who were interviewed from other schools say Lawrence is the real superstar of that line, but eh.  Big nose tackles are always hard to evaluate because they can win with just size and strength so often at the college level and that doesn't translate.  Lawrence blowing up the benchpress like he did actually made me worry more about him at the next level, as little sense as that might make.

But I really, really want the Titans to draft Wilkins at 19.  He's number one on my realistic big board (honestly, I like him a tad more than Ed Oliver).

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

He's number one on my realistic big board (honestly, I like him a tad more than Ed Oliver).

Woah that's crazy! I have him at #4 and I thought I was going out on a limb. That was my desired pick for Cleveland at #17 before the OBJ trade.

And Lawrence is more than just a plugger. He played 4-3 DE in high school and ran damn near sub 5.0 in the 40. He's got a lot of juice in that frame as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, BowlesDawgDX said:

No. Sweat never won because of what Simmons was doing. Sweat won by being so much faster than every OT he played and by having a surprisingly strong punch when defending the run. He's not good because of Simmons and the same goes for the reciprocal of that. Both are just good players.

Sweat is going to be good, but he is not some great pass rusher. He's a much better run defender right now than he is a pass rusher. Sounds weird given his frame and athleticism, but it's true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Woah that's crazy! I have him at #4 and I thought I was going out on a limb. That was my desired pick for Cleveland at #17 before the OBJ trade.

Just to be clear, I mean he's my number one player that I think has any chance of being there at 19.  I would happily take Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, or Montez Sweat, but they'll be long gone.

• Like 2