2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

so how much does that drop him?

Depends on the team, and exactly what is is.  The more conservative teams probably knock him down the board (if not all together), but I'd venture to say majority of the teams will be okay with it.  Supposedly, teams knew about it pre-Combine and they let him compete.

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No. Sweat never won because of what Simmons was doing. Sweat won by being so much faster than every OT he played and by having a surprisingly strong punch when defending the run. He's not good because of Simmons and the same goes for the reciprocal of that. Both are just good players.

Sweat is going to be good, but he is not some great pass rusher. He's a much better run defender right now than he is a pass rusher. Sounds weird given his frame and athleticism, but it's true.

He won his own individual battles on the edge albeit he may have had a lot more one on one situations due to Simmons being inside, he still defeated them fairly easily.

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Woah that's crazy! I have him at #4 and I thought I was going out on a limb. That was my desired pick for Cleveland at #17 before the OBJ trade.

And Lawrence is more than just a plugger. He played 4-3 DE in high school and ran damn near sub 5.0 in the 40. He's got a lot of juice in that frame as well. 

Let people continue to sleep, we'll just remind them when he does his thing in the league.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Let people continue to sleep, we'll just remind them when he does his thing in the league.

I’m with you guys on Lawrence.  He’s was a beast rushing the passer his freshman year.  Very athletic.  I think he is over looked due to a great supporting cast.

9 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I’m with you guys on Lawrence.  He’s was a beast rushing the passer his freshman year.  Very athletic.  I think he is over looked due to a great supporting cast.

Its crazy how a guy 6-4 340 who ran a 5 flat and benched 36 reps and has the movement skills he has being overlooked. The people who cite "pass rushing" need to realize, pass rushing isn't just limited to running around guys, going through guys and affecting the QB's vision or deflecting passes is just as effective.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its crazy how a guy 6-4 340 who ran a 5 flat and benched 36 reps and has the movement skills he has being overlooked. The people who cite "pass rushing" need to realize, pass rushing isn't just limited to running around guys, going through guys and affecting the QB's vision or deflecting passes is just as effective.

Nobody is overlooking him. The concern is his failure to play to his traits on a significant percentage of his snaps.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Nobody is overlooking him. The concern is his failure to play to his traits on a significant percentage of his snaps.

That's YOUR concern, that being said, I do think he could lose 15lbs (which would help his traits) and be dynamic IMO. He could easily could be Akiem Hicks/Haloti Ngata depending on scheme, or stay where he is and at worst be Shaun Rogers

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That's YOUR concern, that being said, I do think he could lose 15lbs (which would help his traits) and be dynamic IMO. He could easily could be Akiem Hicks/Haloti Ngata depending on scheme, or stay where he is and at worst be Shaun Rogers

Well, yes, it is my concern. And it is the concern of others. I also won't agree that Shaun Rogers is the worst case scenario. We've seen some other very gifted big men not turn out as well as Rogers. Dontari Poe or Big Daddy Wilkinson are examples. If you want to talk a guy who didn't pan out at all, you can point to Kenrick Ellis or Cam Thomas. And we'll have to see how Vita Vea does. He didn't shine like many expected he would as a rookie. But yeah, there are plenty of examples of good/great players with his sort of skill-set (Kris Jenkins, Hicks, Ngata, Ted Washington, Jamal Williams, Rogers, Dareus, Sam Adams, etc.). The real question is if coaching will stick. Looking at his fellow DLs, it feels like he should be a much more technically developed player than he is.

Edited by jrry32