2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Well he stated that the niners aren’t in fact blowing off every other prospect other than Bosa as you claim to know as fact. And then you stated in your response Something similar or to that again speaking in definitives as if from your couch you are privy to the niners draft discussions. Thought maybe you’d catch on with a repeated message.  

You guys really think because we don’t work for teams we can’t figure out what’s going on. It’s not rocket science. 

You 9ers fans are a weird bunch honestly.

9 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You guys really think because we don’t work for teams we can’t figure out what’s going on. It’s not rocket science. 

You 9ers fans are a weird bunch honestly.

Weird? That’s for certain. While I think we can piece some of the information together to formulate an idea to speak in definitive statements seems foolish with how unpredictable the draft and the success with players that follows. 

I’m fairly certain most who follow football can recognize the niners need for better edge play, the addition of Ford helps greatly but there’s very little depth behind him. Drawn conclusion? Arguably the best player in the draft, Bosa, who may be available with their pick may be their target. The way the pre draft process has played out thus far for the niners to say they have forgone doing hw on other players because they have tunnel vision for Bosa is somewhat ignorant, that has not been the case or at least shown to be the case at all up to this point. As I stated earlier, there have actually been more rumors, or just as many rumors, stating the niners are very intrigued with QW. 

17 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Is Bosa gonna play 5 Tech in that SF defense?

Buckner at 3T, Ford at LEO are locks at the moment. 

Jones, Armstead, Thomas will fill roles as well but isn’t Bosa best suited for LEO?

Bosa would probably play the edge spot opposite Ford in our sub packages and passing downs when there are your traditional four DL, Edge/DT/DT/Edge. On base downs you might be able to play Ford at SAM and Bosa at LEO similar to how the Chargers use Ingram and Bosa. Personally, I think if Bosa were the pick he’d be used a lot like how the niners used Alshon Smith early in his career where he came in on obvious passing downs and sub packages but not be apart of the base defense. I’m sure you’re aware that in today’s NFL base defenses are almost commonly used far less than sub packages so Bosa should see plenty of field time. 

28 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Weird? That’s for certain. While I think we can piece some of the information together to formulate an idea to speak in definitive statements seems foolish with how unpredictable the draft and the success with players that follows. 

I’m fairly certain most who follow football can recognize the niners need for better edge play, the addition of Ford helps greatly but there’s very little depth behind him. Drawn conclusion? Arguably the best player in the draft, Bosa, who may be available with their pick may be their target. The way the pre draft process has played out thus far for the niners to say they have forgone doing hw on other players because they have tunnel vision for Bosa is somewhat ignorant, that has not been the case or at least shown to be the case at all up to this point. As I stated earlier, there have actually been more rumors, or just as many rumors, stating the niners are very intrigued with QW. 

Bosa would probably play the edge spot opposite Ford in our sub packages and passing downs when there are your traditional four DL, Edge/DT/DT/Edge. On base downs you might be able to play Ford at SAM and Bosa at LEO similar to how the Chargers use Ingram and Bosa. Personally, I think if Bosa were the pick he’d be used a lot like how the niners used Alshon Smith early in his career where he came in on obvious passing downs and sub packages but not be apart of the base defense. I’m sure you’re aware that in today’s NFL base defenses are almost commonly used far less than sub packages so Bosa should see plenty of field time. 

I’m ignoring the top part fwiw

Ford at SAM? I don’t think that’s the plan they outlined at the press conference. 

Schematically, from my understanding, they run a Seattle style front which is why I asked. 

Would Bosa be the Bennett since Ford is the Avril of the defense?

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

@KingOfTheDot , the 9er D is a 4-3 under like Seattle, for the most part. The Wide 9 has been incorporated this past season and looks to be continued next season with a new DL Coach with Wide 9 experience.

Bosa would make a pretty good Bennett to Ford's Avril, yes.

Ahh the wide 9 makes a lot of sense when incorporating a duo like Bosa/Ford. I can see that working well. Should also help contain the QB and force them into Buckner’s gap. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Nick Bosa just has a lot of question marks for me honestly. Even his player comparisons(Chris Long) make me scratch my head like really that’s a top 2 pick? 

Upside wise QWill, Allen, Sweat and hell maybe even Gary are better if they all reach their ceilings. 

Not to mention Bosa’s injury concerns and character concerns. 

Just cant believe he’s such a shoe in to San Francisco all because Lynch has tunnel vision. I think they’re making a mistake not considering other options such as QWill or Allen.

His most popular comp is his brother Joey, and he’s healthy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BucShot said:

His most popular comp is his brother Joey, and he’s healthy. 

If they weren’t brothers they probably wouldn’t be compared to each other. 

Since we’re talking about Joey though there’s this perception that he only performs well against average or worse tackles. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

If they weren’t brothers they probably wouldn’t be compared to each other. 

Since we’re talking about Joey though there’s this perception that he only performs well against average or worse tackles. 

They are incredibly similar- like mirror images in terms of their hand work and motor. Joeys a little bigger, Nick a little faster, but they are basically twins out there.  

• Like 3

On 4/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, incognito_man said:

Nick Bosa has average explosion, but excellent functional strength. His ceiling is Aaron Kampman. He lumbers a bit around the corner and his strength and technique advantage will be more limited on the next level. He doesn't have elite fluidity or bend or explosion, and most (all?) of the All-Pro level rushers in the NFL have at least one of these.

Looks more like a top 25 "solid" high floor prospect than a top 5 high ceiling guy.

Prove me wrong.

Also, I think Josh Allen is only slightly above Bosa. He has a little higher potential IMO. 

I'd rank my edge: Burns, Sweat, Allen, Bosa as the 1st rounders this year.

I have been saying a less extreme version  of this for two months. It's a very unpopular opinion. 

Josh Allen >>>> Nick bosa 

With bosa I see a good but not great player who has good highlight tape because he was never more than a rotational player on a great team that would consistently have the lead. That is terrifying to me sitting with my 49ers at #2. I don't want to take a rotational player with injury concerns that high. 

Josh Allen was the best player on his team and an every down player in the SEC. That means teams actively game planned for him. I don't know how much they did that for bosa because he played a lower percentage of snaps on a more talented team. Allen could use refinement, but the length and bend combination is rare, especially when you add in his burst. It's a great combo and I see him as a von Miller type honestly. He can be used in coverage and moved around. That is very valuable imo 

Not saying he is von Miller, but the bend along with the quickness and scheme versatility is what I am talking about. Von certainly feels like his ceiling 

It's not that I dislike bosa, I just see a potential superstar with Allen. I know what bosa is, and I would be excited if we get him, because I know he's a day one contributor who could potentially be a probowler in year one, but I think in 3-4 years if Allen adds some counter moves and maybe a spin move, that he will be the better player. 

Either way, I'll feel good about the niners having a great young defensive player under contract for the next 5 years. 

TWO WEEKS UNTIL DRAFT DAY 

Also @Fureys49ers don't bother. He doesn't read or care to understand what you say, no matter how well you explain. I've given up with that one tbh

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I have been saying a less extreme version  of this for two months. It's a very unpopular opinion. 

Josh Allen >>>> Nick bosa 

With bosa I see a good but not great player who has good highlight tape because he was never more than a rotational player on a great team that would consistently have the lead. That is terrifying to me sitting with my 49ers at #2. I don't want to take a rotational player with injury concerns that high. 

Josh Allen was the best player on his team and an every down player in the SEC. That means teams actively game planned for him. I don't know how much they did that for bosa because he played a lower percentage of snaps on a more talented team. Allen could use refinement, but the length and bend combination is rare, especially when you add in his burst. It's a great combo and I see him as a von Miller type honestly. He can be used in coverage and moved around. That is very valuable imo 

Not saying he is von Miller, but the bend along with the quickness and scheme versatility is what I am talking about. Von certainly feels like his ceiling 

It's not that I dislike bosa, I just see a potential superstar with Allen. I know what bosa is, and I would be excited if we get him, because I know he's a day one contributor who could potentially be a probowler in year one, but I think in 3-4 years if Allen adds some counter moves and maybe a spin move, that he will be the better player. 

Either way, I'll feel good about the niners having a great young defensive player under contract for the next 5 years. 

TWO WEEKS UNTIL DRAFT DAY 

Also @Fureys49ers don't bother. He doesn't read or care to understand what you say, no matter how well you explain. I've given up with that one tbh

Lol oh brother here you guys go. All I said was he repeated exactly what someone else said and it wasn’t worth my time. 

Stop being so sensitive. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

I just think the philosophy of “If x Player is there they’re taking him” is a bad strategy when the entire draft board is at your disposal(Murray going 1 is obvious at this point). If the 49ers were picking 4th or 5th or 6th and he dropped to them like that makes a lot of sense to have the mentality but he’s been tied to them pretty much since as long as I can remember. There’s doing due diligence and there’s what the 49ers are doing. I just don’t think they’re considering anyone else at this point and it’s a disservice to the team and fan base. I like Bosa, trust me I do, I just think there are better prospects than him at the top. 

Also his views imo aren’t even the issue, it’s why he stopped expressing them. “Because I might end up in San Francisco” made me laugh. 

Because hes on his own tier as a non QB prospect. You take the bst player, especially at a value position. Are we done

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Is Bosa gonna play 5 Tech in that SF defense?

Buckner at 3T, Ford at LEO are locks at the moment. 

Jones, Armstead, Thomas will fill roles as well but isn’t Bosa best suited for LEO?

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, Fureys49ers said:

Um, why would you sit Bosa on run downs??? FOrd maybe