2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So I’m right that Lynch is going into this blind and not considering anyone but Bosa. 

Okay very good for the Jets and Raiders. We get the better prospects with HUGE upside. 

Williams could be for sure. I don't consider Allen a better prospect though. I don't think he has a power game in his arsenal yet, and that could hugely impact what he is at the next level. There's a chance he ends up as Manny Lawson and spend more time off ball. I like Allen, I think he's got a good floor because of that (Lawson was a perfectly competent player for years, but not what you want in a top three pick), but I'm not convinced he's an elite pass rusher at the next level. Wouldn't mind the pick if we made it over Bosa, there are concerns over both. 

Williams is likely the cleanest of all three in my opinion though

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Um, why would you sit Bosa on run downs??? FOrd maybe 

I actually think there would be more of a rotation, not necessarily one sitting more than the other on base downs or in base defense. But being that they would likely be on the field together more often than not in sub packages I think they would see their fair share of running downs.

35 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Jordan Brailford vs Carl Granderson

Austin Bryant vs Joe Jackson

Oshane Ximines vs Maxx Crosby

Zach Allen vs Charles Omenihu

Darryl Johnson Jr. vs Justin Hollins

Who would you rather have?

I like this as a thought experiment. 

Brailford -- better athlete and no open court case (https://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/local_news/granderson-charges-still-pending-as-draft-approaches/article_c3aa773c-3420-5a2e-b8e2-ba7f02027e4e.html)

Jackson -- showed ability to bend last season, showed ability to anchor against the run this season, better overall stats in fewer games without the benefit of monster teammates

Crosby -- this is a tight one; didn't like Ximines as well against the run, but liked better against the pass (although neither one has film that really excites me, but Crosby seems to have more upside and faced better competition)

Allen -- in three years, Omen will probably be better, but Allen is a solid DL who can play base end and then kick inside to 3-tech; he's more advanced and gives you quality snaps right from the get go, although he may never progress much farther than good rotational player

Hollins -- like his athleticism and ability to play in space; he could be a Collins, KVN, or Barr type LB in the right system

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Williams could be for sure. I don't consider Allen a better prospect though. I don't think he has a power game in his arsenal yet, and that could hugely impact what he is at the next level. There's a chance he ends up as Manny Lawson and spend more time off ball. I like Allen, I think he's got a good floor because of that (Lawson was a perfectly competent player for years, but not what you want in a top three pick), but I'm not convinced he's an elite pass rusher at the next level. Wouldn't mind the pick if we made it over Bosa, there are concerns over both. 

In terms of upside Allen has more than Bosa due to his athleticism and versatility. Bosa is what he is and will continue to be that and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

I agree Williams is the cleanest of the 3. I think the duo of him and Buckner would be better than the duo of Bosa and Ford honestly.

26 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

In terms of upside Allen has more than Bosa due to his athleticism and versatility. Bosa is what he is and will continue to be that and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

I agree Williams is the cleanest of the 3. I think the duo of him and Buckner would be better than the duo of Bosa and Ford honestly.

Allen scares me off with his bad game tape vs Georgia. Pretty much a non-factor most of the game. 

Give me Bosa at 2 or Sweat in a trade down.

23 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Allen scares me off with his bad game tape vs Georgia. Pretty much a non-factor most of the game. 

Give me Bosa at 2 or Sweat in a trade down.

Doesn’t Bosa have average tape against superior competition? 

See that’s what I’m not understanding. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Please stop with the Manny Lawson comp. They are not even close the the same player. Lawson was never as developed as a pass rusher as Allen is right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherm said:

Please stop with the Manny Lawson comp. They are not even close the the same player. Lawson was never as developed as a pass rusher as Allen is right now. 

He could easily be Manny Lawson. Or Anthony Barr.   You don't have to agree. I'm not convinced without refinement or power that he's an elite pass rusher at this level. He could be a guy that ends up of the ball possibly as package blitzer more so than a pass rushing edge. And I like Allen, I'm bullish on him. But I think that possibility certainly exists

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Jordan Brailford vs Carl Granderson

Austin Bryant vs Joe Jackson

Oshane Ximines vs Maxx Crosby

Zach Allen vs Charles Omenihu

Darryl Johnson Jr. vs Justin Hollins

Who would you rather have?

2. Joe Jackson - didn’t test well athletically but he flashed way more as a pass rusher than Bryant.  Showed some burst and ability to bull rush and convert speed to power whereas Bryant has a minimal pass rushing ceiling.

3. Crosby - Crosby’s traits are light years above Ximines 

4. Zach Allen - better as a run defender and showed a lot more as a pass rusher than Omenihu from the edge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

He could easily be Manny Lawson. Or Anthony Barr.   You don't have to agree. I'm not convinced without refinement or power that he's an elite pass rusher at this level. He could be a guy that ends up of the ball possibly as package blitzer more so than a pass rushing edge. And I like Allen, I'm bullish on him. But I think that possibility certainly exists

That won't be Allen's fault...if he goes to a team who decides to use him more off the ball than pass rushing. Sounds like a coaching/scheme issue the player can't control. He proved last yr with NFL coaching he can take his gm to another level rushing the passer. Any team that won't continue to develop his skill set is wasting his talent. That includes our 49ers...if we were to draft him. 

Edited by sherm
  • Like 1