2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

No, but I still love Ferrell. It's not a slight to Ferrell to say that IMO.

Joe Jackson has more raw potential to dominate, but Ferrell has excellent technique and counter moves as a pass rusher. Ferrell has become underrated around here recently. He's only a tick below Bosa IMO.

I mean taking Joe Jackson in the 3rd/Early 4th range might be a better investment imo than taking Ferrell in the top 20

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It for sure is a better investment in my opinion. But I have a 1st round grade on Joe Jackson, so call me crazy.

The upside is there because he just looks the part, but he is extremely raw. He is a boom/bust type. You are swinging for the fences if you take him in the first round. 

There is nothing wrong with swinging for the fences because it's all a crapshoot anyway, but there is just too much risk for him to have a first round grade. 

Well worth the risk toward the end of the second or the third, for sure. But let's not pretend that he will automatically reach his ceiling. If he does, then yes, he would absolutely be worth a first, but it's a long road to get there and anything can happen. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 1:21 AM, jrry32 said:

I'm getting a kick out of how the predraft process has caused so many people to shy away from Jachai Polite. Somebody is going to get a top 15-20 pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. I hope it's the Rams. Yes, he needs to find the right weight to maximize his speed/burst and strength. Yes, he needs to mature. But there's no teaching the pass rushing gifts he has, and he's not a guy who just relies on the gifts. There are a lot of impressive technical and mental aspects to his rush game. The scary thing is that if a team corrects his false step out of the two-point stance, he's going to be even more explosive/quick to the corner. And there's no doubting that the kid is going to give you 110% on the field. The effort is there. I see a DeMarcus Lawrence-like talent.

Same here. Polite had a meh interview and a bad predraft process and guys want to act like he's a so-so prospect. When you watch the film he's one of the best edge players in the class. Edge is such a premium position in today's NFL, whoever gets him in the 2nd/3rd is getting a steal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Same here. Polite had a meh interview and a bad predraft process and guys want to act like he's a so-so prospect. When you watch the film he's one of the best edge players in the class. Edge is such a premium position in today's NFL, whoever gets him in the 2nd/3rd is getting a steal. 

This sounds a lot like Jarvis Jones as well though, too.

11 hours ago, Counselor said:

Who is your pro comparison for him?

Tough....as a Freshman he reminded me of Jason Taylor but then he added a ton of weight and strength to his frame. It cost him in the explosiveness department, but he's a significantly better run defender now despite not being as bendy off the edge.

Chandler Jones?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tough....as a Freshman he reminded me of Jason Taylor but then he added a ton of weight and strength to his frame. It cost him in the explosiveness department, but he's a significantly better run defender now despite not being as bendy off the edge.

Chandler Jones?

Joe Jackson - 2.5 RAS

Chandler Jones - 8.3 RAS

Jackson appears to be a VERY limited athlete.

6 hours ago, Jlash said:

This sounds a lot like Jarvis Jones as well though, too.

Admittedly, I liked Jarvis Jones, but he didn't win with bend like Polite. Polite has elite flexibility. Jones won with his first step, varied approach, speed-to-power/leverage, and relentless effort. UGA lined Jones up in wide alignments to allow him to run around slower tackles or bull through more athletic tackles with his speed-to-power rushes and natural leverage. He wasn't a guy who bended the edge well.

Polite is simply a far better pass rushing talent (Jones couldn't touch Polite's explosiveness to the corner and bend around the corner, and Polite is better at stringing together moves without resetting his rush approach). His instincts and other aspects of his game aren't as good as Jones' were coming out, but those things didn't make much of a difference when Jones couldn't get to the QB in the NFL. Polite is more comparable to DeMarcus Lawrence than Jarvis Jones.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He is. I've never understood the Jackson love personally

I understand it. I see the potential there. But I'm not the guy who's going to draft him. I question why he's such a raw player when he had arguably the best DL Coach in college football for two years (Craig Kuligowski).

31 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Disagreed 100% but I appreciate the breakdown

As prospects:

Jachai Polite

6'3" 258

32.63" arms

4.84 40

32" Vert

Strengths: Explosive off the ball, very flexible and bendy, varied and instinctive pass rush approach, effort, pursuit speed, major inside counter potential

Weaknesses: Small frame, lack of power at POA, needs to add good weight, needs to add strength to take rush ability to next level, character/maturity red flags

DeMarcus Lawrence

6'3" 251

33.75" arms

4.80 40

34.5" Vert

Strengths: Explosive off the ball, very flexible and bendy, inside counter, varied and instinctive pass rush approach, pursuit speed, effort

Weaknesses: Small frame, lack of power at POA, needs to add strength to take rush ability to next level, character/maturity red flags

You can even look at his scouting report for NFL.com if you doubt my recollection:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarcus-lawrence?id=2543490

Here's Polite's scouting report from the same source:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-polite?id=3219504f-4c11-3764-b3c6-cc83363f62fb

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

As prospects:

Jachai Polite

6'3" 258

32.63" arms

4.84 40

32" Vert

Strengths: Explosive off the ball, very flexible and bendy, varied and instinctive pass rush approach, effort, pursuit speed, major inside counter potential

Weaknesses: Small frame, lack of power at POA, needs to add good weight, needs to add strength to take rush ability to next level, character/maturity red flags

DeMarcus Lawrence

6'3" 251

33.75" arms

4.80 40

34.5" Vert

Strengths: Explosive off the ball, very flexible and bendy, inside counter, varied and instinctive pass rush approach, pursuit speed, effort

Weaknesses: Small frame, lack of power at POA, needs to add strength to take rush ability to next level, character/maturity red flags

You can even look at his scouting report for NFL.com if you doubt my recollection:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarcus-lawrence?id=2543490

Here's Polite's scouting report from the same source:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-polite?id=3219504f-4c11-3764-b3c6-cc83363f62fb

So your assessment is based of what nfl.com tells me? Good thing I came here. Thanks bro.

9 minutes ago, Jlash said:

So your assessment is based of what nfl.com tells me? Good thing I came here. Thanks bro.

My assessment is based off of my own notes. The nfl.com reports serve as supporting evidence that I'm not out on a branch here by myself. Try offering something of substance before you condescend to me, bud. But hey, if you're dissatisfied with what you're reading here, you are welcome to leave.