Forge

2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The nfl.com reports serve as supporting evidence that I'm not out on a branch here by myself.

Good to serve that up the 'supporting evidence' before any of your own scouting assessments (weird how that works) but you got it bud I'm on my way out peace bud!

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Good to serve that up the 'supporting evidence' before any of your own scouting assessments (weird how that works) but you got it bud I'm on my way out peace bud!

giphy.gif

I now see the disconnect. Literacy would help you a lot here. Feel free to visit us again when you are able to read.

14 hours ago, Jlash said:

This sounds a lot like Jarvis Jones as well though, too.

Actually, (and granted he didn't have the weight "concerns" - it's really more of a question to be answered than a concern) this is a weaker-case version of Frank Clark.  Clark had DV issues coming out of MIchigan and still didn't make it out of the 2nd round.  If a team trusts their eyes in what they're seeing watching the film and doesn't let the stopwatch at the combine throw them too much off-course, I'd expect similar to happen for Polite.  It'd be criminal if he drops further than Clark did with considerably lesser character concerns to his docket.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Admittedly, I liked Jarvis Jones, but he didn't win with bend like Polite. Polite has elite flexibility. Jones won with his first step, varied approach, speed-to-power/leverage, and relentless effort. UGA lined Jones up in wide alignments to allow him to run around slower tackles or bull through more athletic tackles with his speed-to-power rushes and natural leverage. He wasn't a guy who bended the edge well.

Polite is simply a far better pass rushing talent (Jones couldn't touch Polite's explosiveness to the corner and bend around the corner, and Polite is better at stringing together moves without resetting his rush approach). His instincts and other aspects of his game aren't as good as Jones' were coming out, but those things didn't make much of a difference when Jones couldn't get to the QB in the NFL. Polite is more comparable to DeMarcus Lawrence than Jarvis Jones.

The other thing with Jarvis Jones, is that he had those pretty serious medical concerns coming out, with the Spinal Stenosis and stuff.

I can see some similarities between the two, and Jones was a far more well-rounded prospect coming out...but Jones really was never the same sort of pure pass rusher as Polite.  Jones was always more of a tweener EDGE/4-3SAM prospect.  As much as i liked him at the time, that was what he was.  Polite is still a bit of a tweener, but not as much so...in that he's clearly a designated pass rusher and he's going to be that in any scheme.

Man, I can't get what Max Scharping did to Brian Burns out of my head. He just completely erased him. 

18 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Carl Granderson was my favorite mid-late round sleeper but this dude has a sexual assault charge and sexual battery charge officially set to go to trial in mid july. 

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/trial-scheduled-in-former-uw-football-player-s-sexual-assault/article_a992078e-a0e5-5330-9fc5-5e7eff50701b.html

"Free-falling..."

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I can't get what Max Scharping did to Brian Burns out of my head. He just completely erased him. 

Max Scharping is actually a pretty solid prospect in his own right.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He is. I've been a fan since the start of the year. 

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah he is, but some people have Burns as a top five prospect in this draft - it's an incredibly one sided match-up. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah he is, but some people have Burns as a top five prospect in this draft - it's an incredibly one sided match-up. 

I have seen Burns as high as #2 in mocks. He has some development to do but based on potential I think the 15 to 25 range is good for him.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Do you have the link?

On 4/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, Jlash said:

This sounds a lot like Jarvis Jones as well though, too.

Jarvis Jones had the explosiveness of a stop sign. The two couldn't be further apart in terms of how they play. Polite could be a bust, sure. But his play style is hilariously different than Jarvis Jones'.

16 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Scharping number one overall. ;)