2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

1 hour ago, One Punch Man said:

What are some opinions on Chares Omenihu? Haven’t heard much on him but I like what I see.

kinda reminds me of a poor mans JJ Watt. Not as refined, but kinda plays and moves like Watt did coming out of NCAA. 2nd rounder imo. 

Edited by Jeezla

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Am I crazy for thinking that third tier pass rushers are going to be better value than the second tier pass rushers?  I like Nick Bosa and Josh Allen, and then I'm lukewarm on that second tier (Clelin Ferrell, Rashan Gary, etc.).

From a value perspective, absolutely not.

I question the ceilings of Ferrell and Gary and some of the second tier. I feel like they’re all likely to be pretty solid, good-to-pretty-good players. But I can’t imagine Gary or Ferrell as dominant primary options. 

6 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

What are some opinions on Chares Omenihu? Haven’t heard much on him but I like what I see.

Charles Omenihu the guy is huge, I liked him a lot last year and thought he could maybe come out early for the draft that year.  Has improved at the point of attack as a senior, is very long and uses his length well.  Just on size alone and potential he is a 2nd round prospect I feel 3rd at worst.  Just has a great frame combined with fine athletic ability, can get around the corner and clearly get to the QB as well.

But all of these guys have almost ideal size for the DE position, be in a 4/3 DE or a 3/4 DE there are a lot of prototype players at the DE spot potentially out there.  And yeah one could get crazy high value in the later rounds like some others have already said.   A damn good prospect like Anthony Nelson who could maybe be a 1st rounder in a different season one could get in the 2nd or 3rd round and there are a lot of guys out there like that potentially.  Just is a great year to get DE help, sure the DL group in general and there is some high level tackles out there but DE that group is crazy deep I feel.  Especially if guys like Jackson, Kaufusi, Nelson and Banogu declare.    Could also have guys like Joe Gaziano JR RS, Jachi Polite JR, Jabari Zuniga JR, Kenny Willekes RS JR, Shareef Miller JR, or Marlon Davidson JR come out early and it would be even deeper.

Nick Bosa Ohio State JR
Raekwon Davis Alabama JR
Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR
Zach Allen Boston College
Rashan Gary Michigan JR
Brian Burns Florida State JR
Joe Jackson Miami FL JR
Charles Omenihu Texas
Corbin Kaufusi BYU RS JR
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Isaiah Buggs Alabama
Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR
Montez Sweat Miss State
Austin Bryant Clemson
Ben Banogu TCU JR RS
Porter Gustin USC
Jalen Jelks Oregon RS
Jonathan Ledbetter Georgia
Matt Nelson Iowa
Kingsley Keke Texas A&M
Carl Granderson Wyoming
Wyatt Ray Boston College
Hunter Snyder FAU RS

On 12/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, Jeezla said:

kinda reminds me of a poor mans JJ Watt. Not as refined, but kinda plays and moves like Watt did coming out of NCAA. 2nd rounder imo. 

That seems way too early for Omenihu. I do like him as a prospect, but he's way more toolsy than he is a finished product right now. Comparing him at all to JJ Watt seems insane. He's more of a Devin Taylor type player right now.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

That seems way too early for Omenihu. I do like him as a prospect, but he's way more toolsy than he is a finished product right now. Comparing him at all to JJ Watt seems insane. He's more of a Devin Taylor type player right now.

Im comparing potential,  and Omenihu >>>>>Devin Taylor as a prospect

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

I've watched him play against superior competition several times and do absolutely nothing. I need to see more splash plays against good teams if I'm going to give him 2nd round buzz. Sure he has great potential, but he's also extremely raw and doesn't show up consistently. Plus he's really only suited to play 3-4 DE, as he's way too tall and skinny to be a real 43 player and not fast enough to threaten OT's off the edge as a 43 DE. That being said, his hands are inconsistent and he doesn't seem to do well bullying OT's, which is what a 3-4 will ask him to do. I have him as a 5th-7th round player right now, especially in a loaded DL class like this one.

Where would you take him comparatively to the other players in this class? Like, out of the 15-20 DL that are getting 1st/2nd round buzz, who do you think he's better than?

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I've watched him play against superior competition several times and do absolutely nothing. I need to see more splash plays against good teams if I'm going to give him 2nd round buzz. Sure he has great potential, but he's also extremely raw and doesn't show up consistently. Plus he's really only suited to play 3-4 DE, as he's way too tall and skinny to be a real 43 player and not fast enough to threaten OT's off the edge as a 43 DE. That being said, his hands are inconsistent and he doesn't seem to do well bullying OT's, which is what a 3-4 will ask him to do. I have him as a 5th-7th round player right now, especially in a loaded DL class like this one.

Where would you take him comparatively to the other players in this class? Like, out of the 15-20 DL that are getting 1st/2nd round buzz, who do you think he's better than?

I have him ranked similar to the BC DE Allen. Again,  with Omenihu it's about potential, not how good he is right now. If my eagles drafted him in late round 2/early 3, I'd be content. I think he can definitely play 4-3 DE once he develops some moves.  I like his bend for his size, and I don't think he's skinny. Really looking forward to his combine.

Edited by Jeezla

25 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I have him ranked similar to the BC DE Allen. Again,  with Omenihu it's about potential, not how good he is right now. If my eagles drafted him in late round 2/early 3, I'd be content. I think he can definitely play 4-3 DE once he develops some moves.  I like his bend for his size, and I don't think he's skinny. Really looking forward to his combine.

Image result for charles omenihu

He's fine playing DE at that size, but he has zero chance of playing 3-Tech at his current weight. Way too small for that.

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Just went back and watched more re reaffirm my views. I still don't think he goes that high, but I do like how explosive off the ball he is. He doesn't seem to have great anchor strength and once OT's settle in under his outside speed rush (his only move), he often ends up on hit butt. He does seem to have a lot of great traits, but he needs a ton of work. He absolutely needs to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle and learn to do something else other than a speed rush. He gives up his chest too often too and has a tendency to run directly into the OL in front of him. He doesn't ever play half the man, but this could be a Texas scheme thing, as many 3-4 teams essentially use their 5-Tech's to kamikaze the OT's out of every run concept.

It's probably anathema to ask but does anyone project Ed Oliver to be able to play as a strong side DE in a 4-3? He seems to have the acceleration, hand technique and agility but would he be wasted there and would his lack of length be exposed?

:)Disclaimer: I'm not condoning a switch for what it's worth, just curious if guys think he could be successful there.

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It's probably anathema to ask but does anyone project Ed Oliver to be able to play as a strong side DE in a 4-3? He seems to have the acceleration, hand technique and agility but would he be wasted there and would his lack of length be exposed?

:)Disclaimer: I'm not condoning a switch for what it's worth, just curious if guys think he could be successful there.

I suppose maybe he could run it as a DE in a 4-3 under defense, but he's not really someone you want coming off the edge.  His strength his movement skills in a close area, and that's maximized as an IDL rather than coming off the edge.