2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

On 1/4/2019 at 4:40 PM, Calvert28 said:

It's not the fact he thinks he's worthy of the pick. Plenty of guys think they are and plenty comment on it. It's just the way it came across when reading it, at first I thought the last bit of his statement was his mind wandering off and not having anything clever to say. But this sounds more like he thinks he has no peers. It was just a weird statement but that's how it came across to me.

That's literally not the case.  You're trying to find something to hold against him at this point.  I'd be more concerned if he didn't think he was worth the first overall pick.

20 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I can't pronounce his name (sorry for that) but that DE from Old Dominion looks like a monster. I'd take him pretty early.

I refer to him as OX (Oshane Ximines) - He is going to be that solid edge player that goes in the 2nd due to lack of elite athleticism.

Edited by jebrick

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Anyone have a take on Brian Burns DE Flordia St. ?  Looking at him as a OLB in a 3-4.   I am wondering if you think he has the frame add 15-20 lbs and retain his quickness.

I think he definitely has the frame to do it. Can he retain his quickness and explosiveness? I don't know. Really hard to project that since I really don't know why some guys do and others don't. I think far too often people simply overlook it and take for granted that a player can do that, but LIS, without really knowing why some guys are able to and others aren't I can't say for sure. I'm always slightly leery of it, but you can also only take what you're given with the prospects.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure that he needs to put that much weight on. He's listed at like 230-235, so I really want to see his weigh in,  but I have a hard time believing that will actually be the case. My gut says that he will weigh in at the combine around 245 or so (if for no other reason that I have to believe the people managing him would tell him that if he weighs in at the 230's, it's going to be harmful for his draft stock).  If that is the case, I think you're just talking about a nominal weight progression that should more or less be in line with NFL training regimens for him and shouldn't be that much of an issue. I do think that he's a better fit in a 3-4 than a 4-3 though. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, jebrick said:

Anyone have a take on Brian Burns DE Flordia St. ?  Looking at him as a OLB in a 3-4.   I am wondering if you think he has the frame add 15-20 lbs and retain his quickness.

He's basically a much more physical Barkevious Mingo. I really like him because even though he's small, he doesn't play that way. He's relentless as a pass rusher and seems to always find a way to the QB. Sounds weird to say about a pass rusher, but he has good vision. I've seen him pressure the QB on several occasions by abandoning his edge gap and shooting B or C gap late because it opens up. He's just a pest rushing the passer and is surprisingly adept at setting an edge. His size is going to be a factor, but I really do like him as a player and think he'll continue to succeed in the NFL.

The problem with him going early is that this draft class is stacked with DE's without size concerns. He's not going to be in my top 5 EDGE players, but that certainly doesn't mean he's not going to be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's basically a much more physical Barkevious Mingo. I really like him because even though he's small, he doesn't play that way. He's relentless as a pass rusher and seems to always find a way to the QB. Sounds weird to say about a pass rusher, but he has good vision. I've seen him pressure the QB on several occasions by abandoning his edge gap and shooting B or C gap late because it opens up. He's just a pest rushing the passer and is surprisingly adept at setting an edge. His size is going to be a factor, but I really do like him as a player and think he'll continue to succeed in the NFL.

The problem with him going early is that this draft class is stacked with DE's without size concerns. He's not going to be in my top 5 EDGE players, but that certainly doesn't mean he's not going to be good.

Anyone else see a Bruce Irvin type player in Burns?  A player that will struggle against mauler-like tackles in the run game due to his size.  However, when it comes to rushing the passer, he's a threat on every down.  Frankly, that's a concern for me, especially when we're looking at a class that has some high level talent across the defensive line.  This class overall isn't that great, IMO at least, so he'll go higher than what he probably should when it's all said and done.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I see Arden Key

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

I see Arden Key

Key? I don't see that at all. Burns is vicious. Key was a big teddy bear against the run and used his length to win in the pass rush department. Key and Burns are not similar physically at all. Key has a rocked up frame and extremely long arms. He was 270 at one point. Burns hangs out around 225 and has much more burst and violence. He explodes in and around the OL to create pressure and set the edge. Key was more patient and did not berzerk himself around the field ever. IMO, they aren't very similar at all. I like Burns a lot more than I ever liked Key.

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Key? I don't see that at all. Burns is vicious. Key was a big teddy bear against the run and used his length to win in the pass rush department. Key and Burns are not similar physically at all. Key has a rocked up frame and extremely long arms. He was 270 at one point. Burns hangs out around 225 and has much more burst and violence. He explodes in and around the OL to create pressure and set the edge. Key was more patient and did not berzerk himself around the field ever. IMO, they aren't very similar at all. I like Burns a lot more than I ever liked Key.

Combine Key was under 240. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Counselor said:

I see Arden Key

Key actually played quite well as a rookie for us. He had a lot of qb hits (15 IIRC) relative to the one sack he generated. He just needs time to develop more moves and mature physically for the NFL. Burns is a better prospect for sure though. He's a baller.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Key actually played quite well as a rookie for us. He had a lot of qb hits (15 IIRC) relative to the one sack he generated. He just needs time to develop more moves and mature physically for the NFL. Burns is a better prospect for sure though. He's a baller.

I agree Burns is a better prospect