2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

Joe Jackson needs more hype as a potential Round 1 pick.

Perfect frame/size for a 43 DE, very disruptive on film, A+ power and good speed/quickness for his size.  Can win via speed to power or with an outside dip. He's pretty unrefined but his issues seem very fixable.

Edge Ranks right now:

1. Nick Bosa, Ohio St - elite edge prospect, better than Chubb last year. Great size, very flexible hips and bends around edge, fantastic vs the run, can win with speed to power via bull rush or inside swim or pure speed rush. Grade: Top 5

2. Josh Allen, Kentucky - incredibly explosive get off and screams off the edge, ability to bend the edge, can convert speed to power, awesome open field ability as tackler or in coverage, over-pursues at times and needs to develop some counters but elite edge rusher tool set. Grade: Top 10

3. Brian Burns, Florida St - great get off and twitched up edge with bend, good hand usage to shed the OT and uses his burst and hands in unison, flashes good long arm move & speed to power but still needs to be developed there, lack of size is an issue. Grade: Top 20

4. Jachai Polite, Florida - twitched up explosive speed rusher with a great motor, inconsistent and can disappear for long stretches, gets pushed around the edge too often, solid but unspectaular vs the run, fantastic tools to work with. Grade: Top 20

5. Clelin Ferrell, Clemson - sophisticated ready-made Edge with great size for a 43 End, not elite get-off but enough to threaten the edge of the OT, stout at point of attack as run defender, uses length to his advantage, great hand usage and utilizes a good hand swipe move, I don't see him ever becoming a great pass rusher. Grade: Round 1/2

6. Joe Jackson, Miami - perfect frame for a 43 End, strong and powerful rusher who consistently bullied OTs with his physicality, combines size and strength with good get off and quickness for his size although he's not twitchy, bull rush puts OT on skates, needs to develop pass rush counters + hand usage + a long arm but already very disruptive and has a great physical skillset to work with. Grade: Round 1/2

7. Montez Sweat, Miss St - great length and thats his main weapon, a little stiff, ok get-off, mostly wins with outside rush + rip move but needs to develop speed to power & counters. Grade: Round 2

8. Chase Winovich, Michigan - incredibly disruptive and always around the ball, fantastic hand usage to grab jersey and shed OL, stiff and lacks flexibiity and bend, good get-off and keeps his pad level low and generates power with leg drive, threatens the edge with speed/pad level/hands.

9. Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion - flashes physical domination against lesser competition, inconsistent explosion out of his stance, converts speed to power and puts OL on their heels, great push/pull moves and long arm, not sure if he has speed/bend to win to the outside of the OT and need to see his power rush against stouter competition. Grade: Round 2

10. Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech - not twitchy and lacks great get-off, gets pressure via engaging and then ripping to the outside but rarely cleanly wins a rush, lacks lane discipline vs run and can get moved. Grade: Round 4/5

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Edge Ranks right now:

1. Nick Bosa, Ohio St - elite edge prospect, better than Chubb last year. Great size, very flexible hips and bends around edge, fantastic vs the run, can win with speed to power via bull rush or inside swim or pure speed rush. Grade: Top 5

2. Josh Allen, Kentucky - incredibly explosive get off and screams off the edge, ability to bend the edge, can convert speed to power, awesome open field ability as tackler or in coverage, over-pursues at times and needs to develop some counters but elite edge rusher tool set. Grade: Top 10

3. Brian Burns, Florida St - great get off and twitched up edge with bend, good hand usage to shed the OT and uses his burst and hands in unison, flashes good long arm move & speed to power but still needs to be developed there, lack of size is an issue. Grade: Top 20

4. Jachai Polite, Florida - twitched up explosive speed rusher with a great motor, inconsistent and can disappear for long stretches, gets pushed around the edge too often, solid but unspectaular vs the run, fantastic tools to work with. Grade: Top 20

5. Clelin Ferrell, Clemson - sophisticated ready-made Edge with great size for a 43 End, not elite get-off but enough to threaten the edge of the OT, stout at point of attack as run defender, uses length to his advantage, great hand usage and utilizes a good hand swipe move, I don't see him ever becoming a great pass rusher. Grade: Round 1/2

6. Joe Jackson, Miami - perfect frame for a 43 End, strong and powerful rusher who consistently bullied OTs with his physicality, combines size and strength with good get off and quickness for his size although he's not twitchy, bull rush puts OT on skates, needs to develop pass rush counters + hand usage + a long arm but already very disruptive and has a great physical skillset to work with. Grade: Round 1/2

7. Montez Sweat, Miss St - great length and thats his main weapon, a little stiff, ok get-off, mostly wins with outside rush + rip move but needs to develop speed to power & counters. Grade: Round 2

8. Chase Winovich, Michigan - incredibly disruptive and always around the ball, fantastic hand usage to grab jersey and shed OL, stiff and lacks flexibiity and bend, good get-off and keeps his pad level low and generates power with leg drive, threatens the edge with speed/pad level/hands.

9. Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion - flashes physical domination against lesser competition, inconsistent explosion out of his stance, converts speed to power and puts OL on their heels, great push/pull moves and long arm, not sure if he has speed/bend to win to the outside of the OT and need to see his power rush against stouter competition. Grade: Round 2

10. Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech - not twitchy and lacks great get-off, gets pressure via engaging and then ripping to the outside but rarely cleanly wins a rush, lacks lane discipline vs run and can get moved. Grade: Round 4/5

I think you're underrating Porter Gustin and Jalen Jelks.

Jachai Polite is good but there are some issues with him I feel.

As a pure 3/4 OLB Polite has ability just because of his quickness but you sure better be fine with the edge not being held.  I would not take him as a 3/4 OLB over these top four.  Polite is quite small, great athlete but very small.

Josh Allen Kentucky
Brian Burns Florida State JR
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Montez Sweat Miss State

And could argue these guys as a 3/4 OLB hold the edge better, have been more productive over a longer period of time or are simply more complete football players than Polite.  Smith is just as small but to me is way more physical at the point of attack and has a better motor than Polite.

Anfernee Jennings Alabama RS JR
Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS
Porter Gustin USC
Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR

As a true DE I would have a even harder time taking Polite over any of these guys arguably.  To me there is no way Polite is a 4/3 DE, he is all speed not much strength and can get ran on easily.

Nick Bosa Ohio State JR
Raekwon Davis Alabama JR
Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR
Zach Allen Boston College
Rashan Gary Michigan JR
Brian Burns Florida State JR
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Charles Omenihu Texas
Joe Jackson Miami FL JR
Corbin Kaufusi BYU RS JR
Isaiah Buggs Alabama
Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR
Montez Sweat Miss State

So the top 20 talk for him I find a hard time seeing.  I would never take him over Burns as a 3/4 OLB and no way I take him over a guy like Zach Allen either.  Unless a team is specifically a 3/4 defense and in need of a edge rusher I just have a hard time seeing him ranked over some of these other guys.  Polite is a great speed guy for sure and is a super athlete in terms of speed and quickness but speed rushers only usually have a hard time in the NFL.  I could see maybe if he runs a great 40 and works out well, but will see..

24 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Kind of an EDGE/IDL mix, but Hawkeyes AJ Epenesa reminds me a lot of Calais Campbell.

Edit: Not really relevant to the 2019 draft, but still.

Calais Campbell?  AJ Epenesa is a quick athletic edge rusher and is dominating the game currently against Miss State.  Great pass rusher with big time athletic ability and bend.  Calais Campbell is a 6-8 300 pound giant run stopper who can crush the pocket and hold the edge, not sure where they are similar to each other.

I agree though Epenesa should easily be a 1st rounder come 2019.  

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Someone I don't think I've seen mentioned here yet.... but got a mention from PFF's underrated players list... curious for non PFF thoughts on Ronheen Bingham - Arkansas State

Reminds me of Sutton Smith. Smaller, productive, active guy. Would love to see a creative DC put these guys at LB and let them wreck havoc.