2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

Quinnen Williams - "Exceptional power and violence in his hands. Displaces blockers with power and is almost never pushed around. Controls exchanges at the line of scrimmage with terrific hand placement and torque. Terrific job processing his keys and attacking, difficult to reach in the run game. Drops anchor vs. doubles and rarely gets displaced despite his size." Leyard.

Raekwon Davis - Exceptional pad level for a 6-7 interior defensive lineman. Places hands extraordinarily well and can anchor his territory despite a lankier frame. Discards opponents due to hands usage, length and power. Keeps full arm extension to maintain clean frame. Range in pursuit is impressive.

40 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Quinnen Williams - "Exceptional power and violence in his hands. Displaces blockers with power and is almost never pushed around. Controls exchanges at the line of scrimmage with terrific hand placement and torque. Terrific job processing his keys and attacking, difficult to reach in the run game. Drops anchor vs. doubles and rarely gets displaced despite his size." Leyard.

Raekwon Davis - Exceptional pad level for a 6-7 interior defensive lineman. Places hands extraordinarily well and can anchor his territory despite a lankier frame. Discards opponents due to hands usage, length and power. Keeps full arm extension to maintain clean frame. Range in pursuit is impressive.

I wonder if either could play LDE in a 4-3 scheme. I've read that Q has really nice athleticism and quickness.

On 10/22/2018 at 1:35 AM, bananabucket said:

Quinnen Williams might be the most consistently dominant prospect I've watched this year. 

On the DL he has greatly improved and is a real force against the run, no question about that, having an awesome season.  To become an very elite prospect I feel he does have to improve his pass rush skills and getting home at the QB.  And is a RS SOPH prospect, could come out early but might be foolish in such a deep DL class this year.  Would be potentially drafted higher in 2020 if he came out then.

Raekwon Davis has kind of disappointed in terms of getting sacks this year for Alabama, that kid is a beast but has little production with getting to the QB.  Then again all of that is a little skewed because they are blow out games most of the time and the starters might not play much in the second half.  Buggs is really getting home at the QB and taking up that sack role for Bama, but again hard to get a lot of solid defensive stats with such blowout games where starters are in and out and the intensity is taken down a notch.  Will be interesting to see Bama against LSU, a game where it might actually be competitive for a little while, at least in terms of that Bama offense against the LSU defense.  

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

On the DL he has greatly improved and is a real force against the run, no question about that, having an awesome season.  To become an very elite prospect I feel he does have to improve his pass rush skills and getting home at the QB.  And is a RS SOPH prospect, could come out early but might be foolish in such a deep DL class this year.  Would be potentially drafted higher in 2020 if he came out then.

Raekwon Davis has kind of disappointed in terms of getting sacks this year for Alabama, that kid is a beast but has little production with getting to the QB.  Then again all of that is a little skewed because they are blow out games most of the time and the starters might not play much in the second half.  Buggs is really getting home at the QB and taking up that sack role for Bama, but again hard to get a lot of solid defensive stats with such blowout games where starters are in and out and the intensity is taken down a notch.  Will be interesting to see Bama against LSU, a game where it might actually be competitive for a little while, at least in terms of that Bama offense against the LSU defense.  

I don’t think it would be foolish at all. He’s been projected as the 3rd best DL behind Bosa & Oliver the last couple of weeks now. There’s actually a chance he could get drafted over Oliver due to size.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

I don’t think it would be foolish at all. He’s been projected as the 3rd best DL behind Bosa & Oliver the last couple of weeks now. There’s actually a chance he could get drafted over Oliver due to size.

What, Quinnen Williams drafted over Ed Oliver?  I seriously doubt that happens!  Payne on Alabama last year was what 13th pick and he is a better pass rusher than Williams, could argue is a better prospect as well.  I seriously doubt Williams is drafted over Ed Oliver.  He is a fine player but so are many other DLs around the nation in the up coming draft.  So you would take Williams over Davis potentially?  I feel Davis has much more upside at the next level despite his sub par play some what this year.  

As for these projections, what are you basing that off of?  Who projects him as the 3rd best DL in the up coming draft?  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What, Quinnen Williams drafted over Ed Oliver?  I seriously doubt that happens!  Payne on Alabama last year was what 13th pick and he is a better pass rusher than Williams, could argue is a better prospect as well.  I seriously doubt Williams is drafted over Ed Oliver.  He is a fine player but so are many other DLs around the nation in the up coming draft.  So you would take Williams over Davis potentially?  I feel Davis has much more upside at the next level despite his sub par play some what this year.  

As for these projections, what are you basing that off of?  Who projects him as the 3rd best DL in the up coming draft?  

Payne, in no shape or form, is a better pass-rusher than Quinnen. Definitely not a better prospect as well. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a single thing Payne has over Quinnen. Quinnen has a quicker burst, is better at hand usage, run defending, mental processing, leverage, range, stack-shedding, etc. Quinnen knocks Payne out of the park & I liked Payne a lot. I think you haven’t seen nearly enough of Quinnen, tbh. Has played like the best DL in the country this year.

Scouts will be in love with Quinnen’s size more than Oliver’s, though is Oliver is the better athlete, but Quinnen is no slouch there either.

Raekwon is great, but I thought he would be a better pass rusher this year. He hasn’t. Great run defender. I do think Quinnen has the higher ceiling as well.

Guys at the DraftNetwork, TheBigLead, & more as well as the season continues on.

13 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Payne, in no shape or form, is a better pass-rusher than Quinnen. Definitely not a better prospect as well. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a single thing Payne has over Quinnen. Quinnen has a quicker burst, is better at hand usage, run defending, mental processing, leverage, range, stack-shedding, etc. Quinnen knocks Payne out of the park & I liked Payne a lot. I think you haven’t seen nearly enough of Quinnen, tbh. Has played like the best DL in the country this year.

Scouts will be in love with Quinnen’s size more than Oliver’s, though is Oliver is the better athlete, but Quinnen is no slouch there either.

Raekwon is great, but I thought he would be a better pass rusher this year. He hasn’t. Great run defender. I do think Quinnen has the higher ceiling as well.

Guys at the DraftNetwork, TheBigLead, & more as well as the season continues on.

Let us get one thing straight, I really like Quinnen Williams, I have him ranked as the best DT in the SOPH class even as a RS SOPH and right up there as the best DE or 3/4 DE overall as well in that SOPH class.  But again I feel he would be drafted much higher if he came back to school another year.  Maybe I am wrong, and sorry I never view DraftNetwork or TheBigLead or whatever else because I feel that is taking others opinions and subconsciously making them your own, I do not even know what those two things are to be honest.  Sure call be out of touch but would rather view it myself then at the end see how it compares to what the 'others' say at the end of the year around draft time after I do my stuff.  And yes Williams is playing great, really improved off last season a great deal, will see how he does in the big games coming up for Bama against LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn.  Sure they played A&M this year but they are the only real competition they have got and even that was a blowout, will see what they do against better competition for sure coming up.  Maybe I should watch him more sure but I probably watch more college football games than anyone on here, so yeah I cannot just watch only Alabama every week.  Again will see how he does in this big time games coming up which will say and show a lot.

Here is the currently list of a few players I have coming out for the 2019 draft on the DL, yeah it is kind of loaded.  I feel Williams again would be picked higher next year.  Williams is quicker than the likes of say Dexter Lawrence or Brown on the inside but does not have the size obviously they do.  Williams can really hold his own inside and use his hands despite not having the great characteristics in terms of height or weight.  Simmons is a demon as well and having a fine year and Wilkins has been good for four years now.  Sure Quinnen Williams is playing great now but did not as a RS FR last year outside of flashes at times, it is hard to be great from the get go, have all the attention on you and stay great.  

DT
Ed Oliver Houston JR|
Raekwon Davis Alabama JR
Dexter Lawrence Clemson JR
Christian Wilkins Clemson
Derrick Brown Auburn JR
Jeffery Simmons Miss State JR
Jerry Tillery Notre Dame
Rashard Lawrence LSU JR
Terry Beckner Jr Missouri
Ross Blacklock TCU RS SOPH
Daylon Mack Texas A&M
Gerald Willis III Miami FL RS
Olive Sagapolu Wisconsin

DE
Nick Bosa Ohio State JR
Raekwon Davis Alabama JR
Rashan Gary Michigan JR
Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR
Zach Allen Boston College
Brian Burns Florida State JR
Charles Omenihu Texas
Corbin Kaufusi BYU RS JR
Joe Jackson Miami FL JR
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Isaiah Buggs Alabama
Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR
Montez Sweat Miss State
Rashard Lawrence LSU JR
Chase Winovich Michigan RS
Austin Bryant Clemson
Ben Banogu TCU JR RS
Jalen Jelks Oregon RS
Porter Gustin USC
Malik Carney UNC
Matt Nelson Iowa
Kingsley Keke Texas A&M
Carl Granderson Wyoming
Wyatt Ray Boston College

I just feel it is a way to loaded class and why be a mid to late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder when you could be a very high 1st round pick next year?  Will see what happens.  And I also agree Davis as a pass rusher should be a lot more productive than he is, but again the team has blowout people constantly so the intensity level is not always there later in the games and some of the better players do not always play the entire game on defense.  What he showed last year does matter and still counts, but sure currently he has not done great.  If one views Williams as a 3/4 DE there is a ton of competition at that spot of guys who are really long and athletic, heck Anthony Nelson is a very interesting prospect and he might not be picked till the late 2nd or 3rd round where some years he could be late 1st arguably.  And if one views Williams as a NT/DT, sure maybe that will provide him more ability to go high but super rare athletes like Dexter Lawrence and Derrick Brown do not come along all that often, and are bigger more massive players than Williams is.  Not to mention Tillery who is having a fine season as well and could be a 3/4 DE or a 4/3 DT also.   Oh and Rashan Gary, sure is injured but could play both DT and 3/4 DE and 4/3 DE and is a big time talent as well.  

17 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Ozzy If the draft were tomorrow, Quinnen would be going top 10. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

Now, maybe the lack of competition is making him look better than he is, but he's been a beast dude. Like no one outside of Ed Oliver has been more consistently dominant at the DT position in all of CFB.

The average final score in 8 games this year for Alabama has been 54 to 14.  So yeah the competition level is not up there obviously, played one decent team in A&M and that is about it.  Will be very interesting to see how he does again the teams coming up like I said.

Again I like the kid a lot, but would like a little more than a 8 game sample size of dominating, because he did not dominate last year, flashed at times but was not dominating by any stretch.  Once more, hard to do it four three or four seasons compared to 8 games.  Christian Wilkins is a guy most just look over because of what?  He is too good for too long?  If a kid like that is a some what afterthought in the up coming draft because of the DL depth, yeah it is kind of a deep class.  

As for his position, sure he might play DT in the NFL but ever think that success is because a lot of the attention is given to his teammates Davis and Buggs alongside him on each end?  I think he might end up more as a 3/4 DE in the NFL but will see.   Has great hands and is really quick off the ball of this size, but would like to see a little more power out of him without losing any quickness.  Is constantly using a swim move on below average interior lineman and he wins consistently just doing that along with his quickness, is going to need some other moves in the future to keep beating guys on the line.  Would love to see how he would do against more consistent double teams and without Davis and Buggs alongside him.  He gets single blocked a lot and most OL he plays cannot handle him at all doing that.  

Will be fun to watch him the next few weeks, sadly the interior OL talent on Auburn and LSU is ok but nothing great, Miss State might have the best OL talent of those three but have such an awful QB it could be a one sided game quickly if they get behind and have to pass the ball only.  Would love to see Bama against that OU offensive line, sure they will come across some other teams in the Playoffs and or SEC title also that could be some good matchups.  

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, Ozzy said:

Again I like the kid a lot, but would like a little more than a 8 game sample size of dominating, because he did not dominate last year, flashed at times but was not dominating by any stretch.  Once more, hard to do it four three or four seasons compared to 8 games.  Christian Wilkins is a guy most just look over because of what?  He is too good for too long?  If a kid like that is a some what afterthought in the up coming draft because of the DL depth, yeah it is kind of a deep class.  

As for his position, sure he might play DT in the NFL but ever think that success is because a lot of the attention is given to his teammates Davis and Buggs alongside him on each end?  I think he might end up more as a 3/4 DE in the NFL but will see.   Has great hands and is really quick off the ball of this size, but would like to see a little more power out of him without losing any quickness.  Is constantly using a swim move on below average interior lineman and he wins consistently just doing that along with his quickness, is going to need some other moves in the future to keep beating guys on the line.  Would love to see how he would do against more consistent double teams and without Davis and Buggs alongside him.  He gets single blocked a lot and most OL he plays cannot handle him at all doing that.  

So much this, first off, outstanding post. Second, people are getting caught up in the "new shiny toy syndrome". Why should a guy like Christian Wilkins be penalized for being a stud from day one and has the requisite size, athletic ability and performance?

The bad part about it is, Williams is being put up on a pedestal with the expectation of being a top -10 type dominator and he might go to a situation where he isn't covered up with studs on either side of him. I personally think he has a high bust potential not based off of his individual skill but where he will go, would he still be a stud on a team where he is the only 5* stud and is the focus of all blocking schemes like an Ed Oliver is at UH. What if he goes to a team where he is surrounded by JAGs with the expectation to fulfill his top - 10 draft position, can he shoulder the load?

Archived