2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

On 19/03/2019 at 11:39 PM, Jeezla said:

Trysten Hill vs Renell Wren vs Khalen Saunders vs Cortez Broughton vs Daylon Mack

Please list them in order of who you think should get drafted first if you needed a DT.

Man, those are all solid players – I’d be happy with any of those if my team needed some rotational interior guys in the mid rounds. Difficult to stack them, because it’ll really depend on what you’re looking for. Armon Watts feels like someone who belongs in this tier, liked a lot of what he put out.

Saunders possibly has the most physical upside for me, but I haven’t been able to see a huge amount of his play outside of a dominant week at the Senior Bowl. He reminded me quite a bit of Grady Jarrett, a squatty power nose guard with some juice. Mack has a very similar game, with higher calibre background - but less athletic upside.

Hill and Broughton are penetrating three techs and both have got good burst off the line. Hill has super smooth movement skills for a man of his size and some untapped athletic talent, but I’m not sure how strong he is. Broughton had a big Shrine week, but hasn’t gathered much attention for whatever reason. He looks bigger than his listed size on film and is quick, powerful and disruptive. I’m in love with Wren’s electric first step, but he’s a player that has a some refining to do to convert that into consistent pressure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

which shouldn't happen to an elite talent. 

how?

Players develop at different rates. Quinnen wasn't as developed as a freshman because he was still growing into his body and switching from DE to DT. Doesn't say anything about his talent which was on full display last year

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, those are all solid players – I’d be happy with any of those if my team needed some rotational interior guys in the mid rounds. Difficult to stack them, because it’ll really depend on what you’re looking for. Armon Watts feels like someone who belongs in this tier, liked a lot of what he put out.

Saunders possibly has the most physical upside for me, but I haven’t been able to see a huge amount of his play outside of a dominant week at the Senior Bowl. He reminded me quite a bit of Grady Jarrett, a squatty power nose guard with some juice. Mack has a very similar game, with higher calibre background - but less athletic upside.

Hill and Broughton are penetrating three techs and both have got good burst off the line. Hill has super smooth movement skills for a man of his size and some untapped athletic talent, but I’m not sure how strong he is. Broughton had a big Shrine week, but hasn’t gathered much attention for whatever reason. He looks bigger than his listed size on film and is quick, powerful and disruptive. I’m in love with Wren’s electric first step, but he’s a player that has a some refining to do to convert that into consistent pressure.

I can say that I like both Hill and Broughton. I like Broughton more than Hill because I think Hill's game is too feast or famine. I don't like his play recognition skills or his seemingly poor understanding of blocking schemes. It leads to poor gap integrity and him running himself out of too many plays. I do like his burst out of his stance, his jump off the snap, his active hands, and his balance/ability to get skinny through gaps. He's a talented kid, but he needs to reign in his aggressiveness. I think Broughton is the more disciplined player and holds up better at the POA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

He was a RS FR in 2017 and 19 years old for most of the season(Just turned 21 this past December).  I think a year of experience, coaching, and getting in the weight room is the easy explanation especially for someone that young who is still growing and filling out his frame.    

OL and DL are very difficult positions to make that HS to D1 jump to because guys just aren't totally grown yet and don't have the mass/strength to hold up.  Especially in the SEC.

I just wonder if he’s getting by cause bama was so stacked on the line and no one knew about him. Everyone knew about Davis and Buggs to a certain extent 

44 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

how?

Players develop at different rates. Quinnen wasn't as developed as a freshman because he was still growing into his body and switching from DE to DT. Doesn't say anything about his talent which was on full display last year

Somebody that talented imo should be able to crack the dline rotation better than q did.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I just wonder if he’s getting by cause bama was so stacked on the line and no one knew about him. Everyone knew about Davis and Buggs to a certain extent 

Davis had an awesome 2017 and Buggs was a 5 star JUCO recruit.  So yeah, those guys were better known at the start of the year.  

Quinnen had a redshirt year, one year where he was stuck on a very talented DL and just needed to grow and develop a bit, and one year of dominance.  If anything, I'd say he came along more quickly than a lot of defensive linemen that need until their RS JR or SR seasons to have a breakout season.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 3:44 PM, Jeezla said:

I love the way this kid can move for a DT

The way he lost PT but gained production his last season sort of lends you to believe he's strictly a heavy rotation guy doesn't it?

Edited by Jlash